Appropriate Gifts for my friend in RD

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I have found that even 300 thread count cotton sheets are cheaper (or the same price) as in the States so I would not bother. What might be great is to get something that is hard to find here - like for instance a radio that has a hand crank for electricity black outs, or a flashlight that plugs into the wall and gets charged. There are little headlamps for walking about in the dark on sale at Walmart's for about $5. A circle of needles, and embroidery thread is a treasure - but mostly to my Haitian friends who sew. Pen knives - and nail care kits - wow- I had one that was in a box and cost me about $10---- it was a treasure.....
Let me see, I am just trying to think of all the things that I had which got stolen first!!

but you can get a coffee pot on any corner down here so it isn't such a spectacluar gift....
annie

Flashlights with batteries are a great practical gift, plus extra batteries- great idea
a radio - yes
and the other ideas are good also.
I would recommend battery operated electronics, due to the lack of electricity there.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
What about some nice salad tongs (I am talking about the nice stainless steel and carved wooden varieties you can buy at any number of places in Canada). Also, an oil/vinegar set. Dominicans have salad with oil/vinegar at almost every meal and these things would be used on a daily basis.

Good quality towels are also hard to find as are nice sheets but if you don't know the size of bed that might not be a good idea.

Also, if they are not a religious family, the men will most certainly appreciate a nice bottle of whisky... most Dominicans I know go crazy for Black Label, Dewars, Chivas Regal and Crown Royal.

The flashlight is a great idea, but if they are poor, they likely won't be able to buy replacement batteries often once the original ones wear out.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
Hello,

I am sure I am not posting this thread in the appropriate column, but I will appreciate any help you can give me. My fiance and I will be returning to Puerto Plata on the 9th of September for vacation and to visit. ( We were there in March and became friends with some Dominicanos). Anyway, I am writing to ask what an appropriate gift would be for our friends mother. Last time we were there she invited us into her home, made us dinner & coffee, and would not accept anything. We want to ake her a small gift this time, but are having problems finding something appropriate. We don't want to offend her by giving her something she can't use. Please help!
Thank you!

all the suggestions are nice, but in addition to the practical stuff, you might to include something simple for her to enjoy. i have found that women of all ages in DR like body splash from victoria secret b/c it's good and too expensive for them to ever have. Pantene shampoo (very cheap for us, but worth gold to them), talcon powder, perfume, ect..... DR women love to look and smell good. she will be very greatful. good luck!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
all the suggestions are nice, but in addition to the practical stuff, you might to include something simple for her to enjoy. i have found that women of all ages in DR like body splash from victoria secret b/c it's good and too expensive for them to ever have. Pantene shampoo (very cheap for us, but worth gold to them), talcon powder, perfume, ect..... DR women love to look and smell good. she will be very greatful. good luck!

This is an EXCELLENT idea and I never even thought of it. All of the Dominicans I know LOVE Cologne and Perfume and when they go out at night they pride themself on looking and smelling their best, no matter their class. However, I must say that they are in tune to what is "popular" or "brand name" (suprisingly) and if you want to buy a $5.00 perfume in K-mart they will know. I don't know where you are, but in the Toronto area there are a lots of warehouse perfume/cologne outlets that you can get good deals at.