Are the gangs being taken out of Paul???

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
No, Annie, they're not. This is personal. My son is in Haiti now burying his brother who was murdered last week. He leaves behind a wife, a 9 y/o and a younger son. Kenson, my son, should be back tomorrow or Thursday so I'll get more news. However I spoke with another brother this morning and found out that a total of 3 other people were killed with him. The gang just came out and started opening fire. It's horrible. Again, I'll update when I know more.

On another front, I was in CZ last Sunday and met a 20 y/o with a wife and 3 y/o boy from Okap who sleep on the pavilion at Parque Enriquillo. He has nothing. They have nothing. Sometimes you feel so helpless.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
No, Annie, they're not. This is personal. My son is in Haiti now burying his brother who was murdered last week. He leaves behind a wife, a 9 y/o and a younger son. Kenson, my son, should be back tomorrow or Thursday so I'll get more news. However I spoke with another brother this morning and found out that a total of 3 other people were killed with him. The gang just came out and started opening fire. It's horrible. Again, I'll update when I know more.

On another front, I was in CZ last Sunday and met a 20 y/o with a wife and 3 y/o boy from Okap who sleep on the pavilion at Parque Enriquillo. He has nothing. They have nothing. Sometimes you feel so helpless.

My sincere condolences to you and your family.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este

My condolences. I think we can all relate to your feeling of helplessness, impotence so very disheartening.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there

How tragic. I'm sorry for your loss Nan, and wonder if there is anything that "we" here on DR1 can do to assist? Due to distance, and the number of potential people involved, I'm thinking of a donation of some sort?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I have been getting quite an education on this subject. About three months ago I started my "mini-finca" and employed a Haitian. He has nothing but I see day by day how he is prospering and in the mean time how I learn from him. First off I gave him for his own use a section of the 4000 SQF for his own. He attends to that garden (and mine of course) like his food depended on it. It does. He is there 7 days a week cultivatoring and buiding (trellises) and always looking to see what we are putting in next. Several weeks ago I said I wanted some batata so he went to a friend in a batey and got a bunch a sprouts and planted them the same day.
He taught me about castor beans/oil and how they are dried and used for hair care. We have many of these trees on the property and he taught me a fabulous piece of trivia. When I gave him jeans, shirts, and a NY baseball cap he quickly got the hint that he needed to change his clothes and bath more often.Very often there are other Haitians that come around poking to sell me something. He is quick to tell me who the bad guys are and the otheres that might have something good like "black " mulch.
My "gardening" gives me an added pleasure working with such an individual on a daily basis.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
How tragic. I'm sorry for your loss Nan, and wonder if there is anything that "we" here on DR1 can do to assist? Due to distance, and the number of potential people involved, I'm thinking of a donation of some sort?
Thanks very much but at this point I don't have enough info to give you any more specifics. I plan on going back to Enriquillo Thursday to see about my new family. I'm also very hesitant to give them money because it fosters dependence. I will update more on them and my son's family later in the week when I have more info. Thanks for your kindness and caring!!

Reactions: Auryn

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
W
My sincere condolences to you and your family.
Whomever you can help - do so. I have a girl who comes to the house to do pedicures. Much better than going to a sweaty salon in Batey.
So she came down with severe stomach pain last time she came.
Today I took her to Bournigal (my offer) in Puerto Plata and indeed she has a kidney stone. Yes I paid for the bill and she needs some followup treatment.
I think sometimes God points you in directions to help some.
Do whatever little you can.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
On another note. The US sends troops to places with insurgents all over the world.
I would think Canada and the US could come in and clean out the gangs and arms in 6 months and give the Haitians a chance at a meager recovery.
Yeah it would be butting in but it is needed ASAP.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Thanks very much but at this point I don't have enough info to give you any more specifics. I plan on going back to Enriquillo Thursday to see about my new family. I'm also very hesitant to give them money because it fosters dependence. I will update more on them and my son's family later in the week when I have more info. Thanks for your kindness and caring!!
Condolences to your family. Keep us posted.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On another note. The US sends troops to places with insurgents all over the world.
I would think Canada and the US could come in and clean out the gangs and arms in 6 months and give the Haitians a chance at a meager recovery.
Yeah it would be butting in but it is needed ASAP.
I don't expect either of those two countries to take such action.

Perhaps if Haiti were to try and "invade" the DR there could be some assistance in the defense of the DR, but I don't expect either Canada, the USA or any other country to go in and try to fix Haiti's problems. That effort would be futile since Haiti is a perpetually failed state with no hope of recovery.

Reactions: chicagoan14

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
So my son Kenson made it back from Haiti late last night. Not a very good story. What he and the family were told by a witness, is that my son's older bro was sitting on his moto as a taxi driver and some ladrones came and shot all 4 of them. My son's bro pretended to be dead and when they left with the motos they stole he told the police (who had just arrived) to call his wife and get him to the hospital. The police didn't believe him and killed him, thinking he was one of the thieves. The witness who talked to my son's family didn't want to get involved for obvious reasons, as bullets were flying. Evidently the body was not very pretty and they cremated him.

Their mom is in her mid to late 50s. She wasn't doing all that great beforehand and obviously this made it worse. Kenson, took her to the hospital this past Tuesday and got her some meds. Don't know what but probably a mild tranquillizer (if available). She is back home now with her recently married daughter looking after her. The late bro's family is also with mom but will return to PAP soon, because the widow wants the boys in school. The siblings are 2 older boys (both > 30) in Haiti, the daughter, 2 younger boys (17 and 21) in Haiti. Here in Boca Chica there's my son and his older brother, also mid 30s.

Because of this tragedy, the purchase of a house west of Perdanales for mom has been put on hiatus. Also, there has been no concrete discussion on how to support the widow and the 2 boys. I'm assuming rent is paid for a while but obviously they need to eat. I believe this is something the family intends to handle. I consider myself part of the family and even though the are reluctant to ask for help (they haven't yet), I of course will be part of the solution to support this family for the future. They will talk amongst themselves later and let me know what they intend to do specifically.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The other thing I wrote about and is completely separate are the couple with the 3 y/o who were sleeping at Parque Enriquillo. I was down there last Thursday to see them again. His name is Frednel and I don't know his wife's or kid's name. I gave them 1500 pesos, which is enough for a room for 4 nights and some food. He works as a shoe shine boy and she sells water in the park. They were also a victim of a robbery, which I forgot to mention last time. She actually had a black eye. Nothing serious, but when you have so little and lose it, it really hurts.

I'm going back next Tuesday and plan on giving them another 4000 pesos, which is enough for 1 month's rent by the park and for food. After that I intend to stop because as previously stated, it never helps to foster dependence. I also bought the kid some ice cream. I love doing stuff like that! But it's funny because in the USA, a stranger taking a kid to buy ice cream probably wouldn't fly. Here they just waited on the park bench for me and the kid to come back.

A couple of links to pics on Flickr are below.

Kid with ice cream.

Frednel, madanm, e timoun

Frednel e timoun li

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
My thought when reading the OP was that if we could get 5 or 10 of us together we could really make a difference, for both Nan's family and the family in the park. If we all kicked in something monthly, directly to Nan or alternatively set up a gofundme and use that to dole out a monthly amount as needed. We could expand as required, grassroots style.

I'm not boots on the ground so my involvement would just be to donate monthly as this will and should be a long-term program.

What do you guys think?

I bet if we all kicked in $20-50 USD a month or whatever you can and wish...we could not only make a real difference but this could grow into something more substantial.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
My thought when reading the OP was that if we could get 5 or 10 of us together we could really make a difference, for both Nan's family and the family in the park. If we all kicked in something monthly, directly to Nan or alternatively set up a gofundme and use that to dole out a monthly amount as needed. We could expand as required, grassroots style.

I'm not boots on the ground so my involvement would just be to donate monthly as this will and should be a long-term program.

What do you guys think?

I bet if we all kicked in $20-50 USD a month or whatever you can and wish...we could not only make a real difference but this could grow into something more substantial.
Unfortunately there are thousands of Haitians here with similar problems. We just can't help them all.

Reactions: chicagoan14