Are there young people down there?

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
Cnd-Gringo, I read the part that you wrote about Belize referring to political corruption, water/electricity issues,,,,however, it's the same issues one faces in Dominican. Republic as well plus language barrier opposite of Belize.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm a Canadian currently living in Ontario.

The DR wasn't my first choice admittedly. We considered Panama, Belize and Costa Rica as well. Up until a year ago, I was pretty sure the winner was going to be Belize. Now after a years worth of serious research and following all of the local news outlets, Belize appears to be just a tad too 3rd world for us. The political system is really corrupt, the infrastructure (water/electricity) can be problematic for lengthy periods of time and the internet speed is awful. Still relatively cheap cost of living but a pain to ship our stuff there. Belize is an english speaking country though.

We've been to the DR 3 or 4 times a year for the last 7 years or so. We know the north coast area pretty well. Language will be a priority for us as I believe that will pose the most significant hurdle initially. Not having to work will give us the time and flexibility to work through things without the need to get all stressed out by time limits and economic pressures.

It's still going to be quite the adjustment, but it is doable as all these other Expats can attest to.

Rgds.

You'll be fine -- I did it too ... in 2008.
No language, not sure if we would like it..... built and gave it a try

FForward, bought new property, ready to 'double down ' on the bet... we love it.

I'm Cdn who left Canada in '95 for the US and moved on the DR.

you'll be fine... enjoy yourself.
I have a feeling many Cdns will be doing this in the next few years

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
To answer your question on where would we live with two young children... well we would choose Cabrera over and over again. We don't want to be surrounded by tourists or even surrounded by only expats. Cabrera has the best of both worlds. It is a mainly Dominican, close-knit community where the people will make you feel very welcome, along with a nice amount of expats for when you just want to speak English and talk about North American TV shows! ;) It is quiet, but not too quiet for us, safe, friendly... a perfect family town. It also has about 6 or 7 amazing beaches very close by, as well as a couple of neat natural lakes and a waterfall. A beautiful waterfront for walks/runs. Lots of great restaurants, as well as many that do take out and delivery. I honestly wouldn't choose to live anywhere else but here with my family.

As for blond hair, sure it will stick out but any foreigners do so dying it isn't necessary. They will know you aren't from here, but that is okay.

Would be happy to meet with you and even show you our school / summer camp while you are in Cabrera. If you send me a private message with your email address I can give you directions that way.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
agreed on Cabrera.... not so much on the fine eateries, but generally a very pleasant experience.

If you crave more 'action' , it can be had a short distance away.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
BB, you pop up everywhere, huh?

just monitoring/moderating , I expect

start a sing-a-long on the Gorgon thread -- they're suffering over there

HeyItsMe

Apr 29, 2014
Thanks! I would LOVE to check it out. I'll send you my email address. Not sure of the exact date on when we will be there but I'm sure it will be in the month of May. I look forward to it!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Rafael,

I'm aware of some of the problems with the DR Govt. However, they pale in comparison to those in Belize at the moment. Granted it wasn't always like this in Belize but absolute power corrupts absolutely. Ministers openly selling immigration visas and passports, expats being hit up for mandatory political contributions and Belize has a really high violent crime rate per capita.

I think it will be a few more years before Belize can transition back to where they were 10 years ago, if they in fact choose to do so.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have a feeling many Cdns will be doing this in the next few years

I think most of the Air Canada pilots already live there. :)

The number of people leaving this country every year is staggering. I too think this trend to keep increasing because I don't see the political/economic/cultural landscape here changing anytime soon.