Are things getting better here?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Some people only see the hole in the doughnut and wonder where is the doughnut!

-NALs

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Can you show there is no corresponding increase in production?

If the banks are flush with cash on which they are paying interest, what are they supposed to do with it besides find methods of lending?

That is what a bank does.

It's the opposite from when Hippo was in power. Back then interest rates on loans where to the roof, and business after business had to stop project after project because they couldn't afford money. Even Cap Cana came to a halt. What's happening now is that individuals with money are confident enough in the future of the Dominican economy to put a larger sum of their money in the domestic banks, as oppose to sending it to bank accounts overseas. Like you said before, debt borrowing if how business largely gets done. In fact, I'm sure Cap Cana itself is in debt to its eyeball -- that's how if had managed to fastrack its contruction.

That money is going to the production sector: project after project that were stopped during the Hippo year are now going fast, Cap Cana would be an example.

If anything the Central Bank main policies are serving a countervailing effect to this. i.e. it seems everyone complaints about how if seems to overvalue the Peso through an apperent pegging to the Dollar. In so far as general inflation is concerned, the Abezu at the Central Bank has done a rather well (amazingly well when conpared to the previous administration) in keeping is relatively low and stable, particularly given the way crude oil prices and its derivatives have been spiking during his term there.

But something else that may add to it would be the policy of the Dominican bank athorities of restricting nepotistic loans by the domestic bank, which that to some extent forced than to actually consentrate more on loaning/investing to those more productive. i.e. BHD to Roco Ki ..Banco Leon to Cap Cana, which I'm sure is of to debt higher than it neck.

About the only main sector of the productive economy that's not seen a boom is FTZs, that in itself is also amazing.
__

Generally around, a good development.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Inflation has not only been relatively very low and strongly stable, it has actually been on a downward trend, ..

The Economist:

Annual inflation averaged 4.9% in the first quarter, within the 4-6% target set by the Banco Central de le Rep?blica Dominicana (the Central Bank) for 2007; private credit to households and business grew at double-digit rates amid relatively low interest rates; the currency has strengthened slightly and was unaffected by international capital market turbulence in February-March that hit some emerging market currencies; and gross international reserves have continued to grow-to over US$2bn by end-March (though liquid reserves are US$1.3bn).

http://www.viewswire.com/index.asp?...019&category_id=&refm=vwCh&page_title=Article

http://www.viewswire.com/index.asp?...019&category_id=&refm=vwCh&page_title=Article

Gossette Ortiz

Oct 17, 2007
Things are getting better domincans just have to start complaing and give the goverment a chance so now we will have elections all over again to undue what this goverment is working on. Dont look for someone who wont steal that wont happen so if things are getting done give the gov. a chance its better than in the states with all the war everything is really expensive, Dominicans have the life they just dont know how to live it! why do you think Americans are moving there every day think about!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Gossette" Are You Really "Stupid", or do you Just "Play One" On DR1???

You have made 3 posts so far. Each one telling us about how "BAD" things are in the US! I bet you live there!
If you want to make comments,comparisons with the USA, go to "USA1"!!
This is "DR1"!
No matter how many times a Dominican blames "others" for their own "Problems",they are still, going to be YOUR Problems!!
Face THEM!! "Change !"
Cris Colon

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Buen chiste......

Things are getting better domincans just have to start complaing and give the goverment a chance so now we will have elections all over again to undue what this goverment is working on. Dont look for someone who wont steal that wont happen so if things are getting done give the gov. a chance its better than in the states with all the war everything is really expensive, Dominicans have the life they just dont know how to live it! why do you think Americans are moving there every day think about!
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha!!.

Here's a quarter, go call someone who cares.

Btw:

I hope you don't live in the greatest country in the world!!.

If you do, please move to Cuba and let's see how much you like it!!.

Gossette Ortiz

Oct 17, 2007
If you did not care then you would not have answered me. You do care you just dont know what to say cuz you know its true!

Gossette Ortiz

Oct 17, 2007
CRISS COLON! You better start reading the posts i make a little better. I do live in Dr, and i was raised in the states!!! And if you read my comments carefull all i do is defend DR cuz i realize that the real Dominicans dont know who to apriciate what they got!! But you guys are so busy trying to blame others for what you dont got that you forgot to look and realize what you do have!!