Are We going crazy?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
the laughable part of all this debate is that pop singers, stones, bob dylan, madonna, etc, well, what i am trying to say is that in the old days an artist made money by record sales. today, you get the song on the internet for free, they make money by touring, so it is possible for a view of anthony (good looking, hit for the week) to charge big bucks for a show that will be held at a black tie event,(jaragua), next week santiago freedom park for free....................

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
what i am trying to say is that in the old days an artist made money by record sales.

You sure? Artists see very little for record sales, all that money goes to production, record company, royalties to song writers. All the money to the actual band has always been in touring, live performance. Record companies are the biggest criminals out there in terms of robbing their signed artists, and always have been. Now if you write your own stuff and tour constantly then you are made, but few do that. The richest people in music you never see, the song writers living off royalties quietly tucked away somewhere living in peace.
How this effects the likes of Santos I don't know, but I presume the guy has others to write his music for him.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
No typo, the article states VIP, special guests will be $4000 per head, so the table prices would fit that pricing. All the tables will not be 300,000, they will be like the stocks at the Opera, a few of them and in specific points for best view, sound and service.

That is totally ridiculous. It must be totally out of hand. I like Antony Santos, but I wouldn't pay that to see him. As a matter of fact the last two concerts where I saw him sucked and I decided that I was done going to his concerts. He has a bunch of hangers-on around him that want to get on stage and sing and take part in the glory. It's like a jam session....and I pay money to see and hear that?? Noooo!
How can anybody compare that kind of act with the Rolling Stones and other big artists? When these people have a tour, they have a big production, major expenses and actually put on a show and I don't mind paying for that. Antony Santos and any other Dominican Bachata or Merengue band, arrive at midnight or later so that the establishment where they are playing gets their business from the booze sales. They are just a bunch of musicians crammed on a stage.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Hahaha, I agree, but since when did Dominicans know anything at all about music. They like it and live for it, but wouldn't know quality if it landed on them.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Johnny, you don't know what you talking about!!! Just b/c you can't pay doesn't mean others won't be going, specially your so call rich Dominicans.

You have to read first.
Of course that place will be full, but not of the rich dominicans. the rich dominican families in Santo Domingo (I dont know about other pueblos) DOES NOT LISTEN THAT KIND OF BACHATA. and they do not mix with the people who are going to be there (peloteros, narcos, etc.)
I wouldnt be there even for free. not interested in that kind of singer. If I want to listen bachata, there is JLG.
To be at the parking lot of Jaragua that night would be as danger as being in Iraq. not kidding.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
You have to read first.
Of course that place will be full, but not of the rich dominicans. the rich dominican families in Santo Domingo (I dont know about other pueblos) DOES NOT LISTEN THAT KIND OF BACHATA. and they do not mix with the people who are going to be there (peloteros, narcos, etc.)
I wouldnt be there even for free. not interested in that kind of singer. If I want to listen bachata, there is JLG.
To be at the parking lot of Jaragua that night would be as danger as being in Iraq. not kidding.

Que Clasista!!! I can tell you know as much about barchata as about the Dominican upper class, which is not much. I find your point of view ignorant and prejudice. Trujillo is dead!!

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Que Clasista!!! I can tell you know as much about barchata as about the Dominican upper class, which is not much. I find your point of view ignorant and prejudice. Trujillo is dead!!

Que ignorante! Do you think that families as Vicini, Corripio, leon jimenez, Villella paliza, Ramos, huascar rodriguez, Moya, etc who have made their fortunes working and never been involded in any scandal would sit at table next to murderes baseball players as Alfredo simon, Villalona and others who have killed innocents and are free and armed. or next to Capos or dominican york full of gold chains all of them armed with guns.
If you are not Dominican or being living here for many years in a good neighborhood you wont understand what Im talking about.
You have to be Dominican to understand our culture.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
you agree! as i said in the old days artists made money from record sales,,,,,,,,not anymore,,,,you have to tour! and put butts in the seats.....the #1tour in 2009. rolling stones,(155 million) #2 madonna, #3 some country yokel (dwight something), #4 jimmy buffet. why do you think Michael Jackson was going to do 150, or 52, or europe,? he's not going to sell any more copies of "thriller". why did i pay 100$ to see Cher, great show that's why, i didn't go out and buy a record after that. you want seats in Las Vegas for Cirque de Soleil, good ones are 250$, they are not even played on the radio, never had a top 40 tune...........

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I'm not sure I understand you. I thought you were saying artists made money from record sales. Artists have never made much money from record sales. The 'artists used to make money from record sales' comment I referred to as being wrong. But it looks like we just have crossed wires somewhere.:confused:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
May be drug dealers or whatever, but the fact is Anthony Santos is the best paid Dominican singer ever. I saw him in Monte Bar and the front tables were going for at least 10k + whatever you wanted to drink which was Johnny Walker blue and up...so when you see a table with at least ten people and they're all drinking JW Blue or better you know they're dropping at least 50k that night. This is a guy who can command top dollar from The Dominican community anywhere he goes and he knows it. His parties are insane and IMO way worth it. He won't come in and play a couple of sets and then leave like a lot of the other singers do...the day I saw him he went on till about 6:00 AM. He has a huge repertoire.

So stop hating on Anthony. He's the best Bachata singer by far and if someone wants to pay thousands of dollars to see him more power to them. This whole "bachata" is inferior music is just BS. The best music in the world is whatever YOU like, not whatever some snooty classical or whatever wannabe wants to make you believe is the best. It's subjective so to each its own.

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
This whole "bachata" is inferior music is just BS. The best music in the world is whatever YOU like, not whatever some snooty classical or whatever wannabe wants to make you believe is the best. It's subjective so to each its own.

Amen!

believer

Oct 12, 2005
When Trujillo accepted bachata, it was inevitable it would elevate to a higher level of acceptance. Don't "dis" it (is that correct terminology?). I wouldn't assume those at a bachata concert were drug dealers any more than I would assume those attending a Led Zeppelin concert were stoned! (I hope you get this). ;-)

Uhm, every one at the Led Zepplin concert WAS stoned. lol

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
Bachata in resent times has gained global popularity, artist like Usher and others are getting into the game. But for some reason when I go to La Vega very little is played (along with Tipica) I have to go to Santiago to get my weekend dose. Having said this, the last 4 times I been to DR and had Anthony Santos tocando close by, its been sold out, I could not even get in. Maybe I'll get lucky this December. Viva la Bachata !

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Bachata in resent times has gained global popularity, artist like Usher and others are getting into the game. But for some reason when I go to La Vega very little is played (along with Tipica) I have to go to Santiago to get my weekend dose. Having said this, the last 4 times I been to DR and had Anthony Santos tocando close by, its been sold out, I could not even get in. Maybe I'll get lucky this December. Viva la Bachata !

Bachata had global popularity before this Usher video. I believe this was done with the intention to capture the mainstream US non-latino market. For me it's crazy, because it's a bold move, as I don't think he will be successful as other latino artists who have captured the US mainstream market, like Enrique Iglesias, Shakira, etc..