are whales here yet?

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Assuming that you mean actual whales and not the tubby folks at the AI's :cheeky:, I sighted two actual whales on the catamaran excursion last wednesday. They surfaced and spouted water right in front of the boat. It was really cool and my kids enjoyed it. We were wondering which species of whale they were. Does anyone know which species are most common in the area?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
You don't say where you were exactly but they are almost certainly Humpbacks.
Dark blue/black with white under parts and extremely long pectoral fins.

georgig

Jul 25, 2010
I just saw a whale from my terrace in Blue Fish, Perla Marina, Cabarete. It was abt 200 mts from the shore and was moving East. The view was amazing :cheeky:

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
You don't say where you were exactly but they are almost certainly Humpbacks.
Dark blue/black with white under parts and extremely long pectoral fins.

Sorry, we were going on the catamaran excursion from Playa Dorada beach in Puerto Plata to Sosua to go snorkelling.

Berliner

Aug 9, 2007
Whales arrived in Samana already more than a week ago. And a lot of them!!
Went on tour with Kim Beddal last sunday and there were many groups/couples in the bay. no waiting time for the boats as there were not so many out. We stayed with several groups of whales for more than 2 hours and the humpack whales came very close to the boat.
Very impressive and absolutely recommended.
Kim offers tours in spanish, english, german and french.
By the way, there is also a new view point for whales on land at Punta Balandra and you can watch them as well from the terrace of El Cabito restaurant in Las Galeras. (for people who don't want to go on a boat and/or get seasick)
Have fun!
Berliner

frozenpenguins

Jan 15, 2011
whale tours from Las Terrenas or Saman?

Not sure if it?s off topic... but we?re going to be staying in Las Terrenas, but have our own vehicle... Is it worth taking the drive to Saman? to go with Kim... or would going with someone right out of Las Terrenas be alright (our hotel lady recommended flora-tours).

And, if worth the drive... is there a safe place to park a vehicle?

And now... to get really off topic... I have 2 more days (in addition to the 1 day whale watching) to burn - based out of Las Terrenas. What are the 2 other MUST DO?s while I?m there?

Thanks so much!!

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Not sure if it?s off topic... but we?re going to be staying in Las Terrenas, but have our own vehicle... Is it worth taking the drive to Saman? to go with Kim... or would going with someone right out of Las Terrenas be alright (our hotel lady recommended flora-tours).

And, if worth the drive... is there a safe place to park a vehicle?

And now... to get really off topic... I have 2 more days (in addition to the 1 day whale watching) to burn - based out of Las Terrenas. What are the 2 other MUST DO?s while I?m there?

Thanks so much!!

I think You should go with Kim to get the most from the trip and you can park your car just outside the office with no problem.
I don't know LT so can't comment on that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when i was in samana we just went to the malecon. plenty of boats going out, no need to do organized tour.

Mr_Traveler

Dec 2, 2010
Would I really see the whales this time of year if went to LT right now? How high do they leap out of the water? When I went whale watching in Quebec a few summers ago, the whales would barely pop out of the water -- I guess they were too shy or something.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the only thing popping out of the water i have seen was an occasional tail or a fin. very pretty but not much to see...

orchids

Jan 23, 2011
whales

could someone tell me the best city to go to in order to view the whales? thanks, Orchids

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
No Humpback Whales in the Caribbean Sea/Southcoats.

We have a quiet Impressive Population in Front of Punta Cana, for most parts less than 2 miles from the Barrier Reef Line, They already arrived since a while for their 2011 Season, we see them actually most Days when leaving/coming back from Offshore Fishing here.

and the best Spot for Whale Watching on the Island is of Course Samana Bay, the Population there counts around 4000 Animals of Humpbacks alone, with the Females and Babies located more towards and inside Samana Bay, the Males as in a protective Circle on the Outer Side of the Bay.
Boats for Watching Depart from Samana Itself and from Miches for the same Area.

every Spot a Beautiful Lifetime Experience..
Happy Watching

Mike