Are you going native?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Don't worry, Chris! You've gone native. You've learned exactly how to needle me into acting like a Dominican during an argument. You know, yelling at the top of my lungs and waving my arms in the air while stuttering and sputtering with my face turning purple - all because someone accused Sosa of using a corked bat or the Yankees lost that afternoon.

P.S.
The Brugal helps with that kind of behavior. That's why I try to stick to wine. Not native, but better for my well-being!

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Natives are not necessarily poor

Pib said:
I suppose Paul is talking about natives of Monaco.

Pib
Who is a REAL native, but without the toys :(

after reading some of the replies to my post.
I checked webster again.Maybe you should as well.
Why does any one presume that natives are poor.
Or rich Dominicans are not natives only the poor ones.??
And if thats so why would any body aspire to be a native.??
As was the original question.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Why do I get the feeling ...

... that "Let them eat cake" is coming on the next post from Paul?

:: smile ::

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Of course I have, somewhat

It took years to keep pejorative adjetives from preceeding any reference to Dominicans. It took years to keep references to personal appearence from my speech about other drivers.

I have four children all born here in Dominican clinics and with Domincan doctors (real ones), seven foster kids that were picked up along the way and now about 9 grandkids, depending on just how we count them. Two are gifted musicians which in no part comes from us.

I eat "dominican" every day, but then again we have salad dressing that is not vinager and cooking oil, and ground pepper that is not from a little can....

We listen to every type of music from Bachata to Zydeco (thanks to Clair).

No beemers. 24 hour lights, cable TV, lots of computers, plenty of goodies around....

Native, perhaps. The best expression is "Aplatanado", and Yes I am....totally....

HB

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Re: Why do I get the feeling ...

XanaduRanch said:
... that "Let them eat cake" is coming on the next post from Paul?

:: smile ::

Far from it.
I was entirely non judgmental
I only said there was nothing to aspire to be poor.
The remark let them eat cake shows malice for the poor or their lot.
And was not mine
I personally don?t particularly like how most people understand the word native.
And I took issue with the notion that natives were poor.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Paul, man, no offense, dude!

I am just in a mood and having a little fun wit 'ya. Amicus is banned, Monaco I hassled off the board, and I have no one else left to pick at!

I just don't happen to be in those circles down here like I used ot be in the states so my images are colored a bit, other than having the 'privelege' of talking to his baldness once. Enjoy!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Do you or your wife fix Dominican food at home? Or do you fix things that may be considered "American."

We eat mostly Cuban, Spanish, Italian and American fare. No Mangu, mofongo or orange spaghetti sauce.

Do you like to listen to Dominican music? Do you dance?

Dislike merengue. Despise bachata! Of course I dance. I'm Cuban. I love going out onthe dancefloor and in one dance embarass the Dominicans.

Do you dress as a Dominican of your age and stature?

They dress like me

Do you follow "Latin time"? Do you show up at 8 if the invitation says 8?

Depends. business I am always on time. Social...hell they can wait for me.

Do you take a siesta?

If i am tired

Is there anything in your routine that you probably would not do if living in the States? What? Why?

Drink and drive. Tell cops to F*ck off. pay off politicians....Ok I do that in the states as well.

You say you "fit in" in the DR....what have you done to "fit in".

I don't try to fit in. I am my own man. They can take it or leave it.

Or are you a bastion of American culture amidst beer-swilling, Brugal chugging "natives".

Rarely drink beer and Brugal Sucks.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
XanaduRanch said:
Amicus is banned

Say's who? Just because someone doesn't post anymore, don't assume they have been banned :)

Going native for one person seems normal for another.

Going native in Naco is very different to going native in Capotillo :)

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Brillant post Robert

It is true that the native Life painted by Jimmy Buffet in his Magaritaville can be found, but, generally speaking, going native carries a pejorative connotation, methinks. Grubby, poorly attired, smelly of sex and rum sort of person, totally debauched and with a huge grin on his/her face....

Fitting in, whether in Capotillo or Naco is another story.

HB

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Well. I have learned something. People in the world find that term unattractive.

How else can we call it?

Mainegirl, "going native" by catching perch, making fresh bluebbery pies and enjoying an unadulterated view of the Milky Way.