Art in the City-POP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Another art lovers related post.

For those interested in learning how to draw/paint....
across the street from Central Park, inside the large building with the gorgeous murals painted by ARTE 48, the artist collective that strives to encourage public participation of the arts in POP (an amazing group and something POP so desperately needs especially for the children) ....

Saturday afternoon art classes are offered by a Dominican artist and head of ARTE 48.
(They also have other art related events and exhibitions at various occassions.)
His name is Gerson and he also speaks English and he is there most days of the week.
You can pop in, no appointment needed and if only to see some of the amazing paintings inside.

There are so many talented artists in this country and just wish they could get more exposure, promotion and SUPPORT...they deserve it!

And please share/post any cultural and art events you know or hear about!
Thanks!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
That's the old Court House, Thandie (was the Court building until they opened the new one). And for those keen on pen and ink drawings, the guy sat on the pavement outside old Court House, most days, is known as DaCoCa (his apodo is a mix of his 3 names). The small ones are about RD$80. If you have tourist friends wanting to send postcards, suggest that for a few pesos more they can send a primitive art original. He even has envelopes. Not sure if they have glue on them though so BYOS (bring your own selotape, if posting. Post Office is 2 corners down in direction of the sea).

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Yes go check it out! Wonderful Dominican art and artists.

Also would like to add that Gerson and Nelson, two of the artists who are members of ARTE 48 Collective, are also teaching art lessons for kids age 8-13years on Fridays during the day. This is fully or partially funded by the Government.

The art collective has a wonderful ,big vision and passion for helping all communities and people in Puerta Plata through art!

They are doing a great job at trying to engage and encourage the Puerta Plata community to participate in the arts.

Hopefully they can continue to receive the government and public support and funding that is so desperately needed.

We need more positive influences like this in Puerta Plata!!!!

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Yes go check it out! Wonderful Dominican art and artists.
There is also absolutely no pressure to buy anything like some art vendors that sell mass produced art.
This place is there to encourage, share, educate and promote Domincian art and culture. And as I mentioned Gerson speaks English.

A couple of my Canadian friends went today and were so impressed with the space ,Gerson and the collective.
So this week they will be doing a cultural/art exchange with Gerson/Arte 48
with a large group of Canadian high school students.

Also would like to add that Gerson and Nelson, two of the artists who are members of ARTE 48 Collective, are also teaching art lessons for kids age 8-13years on Fridays during the day.
This is fully (or partially) funded by the Government.
Thumbs up to the politicians in Puerta Plata, because this is what many of the children/youth in the area need! There are similar organizations like this that I support/volunteer with back in Canada and I have seen the positive affect it has on a city and especially the disadvantaged youth of a community (i.e. building self esteem and community pride, building tourism, keeping kids away from negative influences such as gangs and drugs, etc).

Gerson took me on a tour of some of the disadvantaged and drug infested communities in the POP area and told me his vision and dream for introducing art in these communities. All I can say is WOW!

The government will also start refurbishing the building in a few months. More encouraging good news!
Hopefully with more local and tourist interest and participation the support and funding will continue and grow. The artists had to fight to get this building for a public art space and they succeeded. Now they need to grow!

This art collective has such a wonderful ,big vision and passion for helping all communities and people in Puerta Plata through art!
Gerson and the other members of art collective are Dominicans who have a deep LOVE and HOPE and VISION for their country, city and people, and they are actively doing something to positively affect change and help others!
They deserve all the support, promotion and encouragement they can get.

They are doing a great job at trying to engage and encourage the Puerta Plata community to participate in the arts, in the midst of various struggles.

Hopefully they can continue to receive the government and public support and funding that is so desperately needed.

With all the negatives we hear about, these are the type of people and groups that need promotion and encouragement to make his city and country a better place.
We need more positive influences like this in Puerta Plata!!!!

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Mods..

Mods,
Can you please erase my post #4.
Computer problems to had to repost.
Thanks

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Lambada,
You mentioned DaCoCa. I inherited some artwork with my apartment and was searching for the artist via google. Well, what came up but your post!

Does this look like the DaCoca you know? I like the artwork, but the metal frames that was put on it is driving me nuts ;)

3387872615_16e7b22e9d_m.jpg

3388679696_ccfa6af12c_m.jpg

3388679654_be7fbd1496_m.jpg

3387872505_4b59b19251_m.jpg

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I like the mural by Augustin Jimenez outside of the building. Anyone know how to contact him? I'd like to see more of his work.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Lambada,
You mentioned DaCoCa. I inherited some artwork with my apartment and was searching for the artist via google. Well, what came up but your post!

Does this look like the DaCoca you know? I like the artwork, but the metal frames that was put on it is driving me nuts ;)

3387872615_16e7b22e9d_m.jpg

3388679696_ccfa6af12c_m.jpg

3388679654_be7fbd1496_m.jpg

3387872505_4b59b19251_m.jpg

I'm 99% certain that that is our Daniel. Same themes (campo), very similar style (primitive) - only difference is yours looks to be water colour paintings & I'm familiar with his pen & ink work. I tried comparing signature in the first pic you posted with signature on a pen & ink I bought but the photo isn't quite large enough (or the old eyes aren't good enough!). Does the D have overhang both ends where the circular stroke meets the vertical stroke? Perhaps if you email the pic in original I'll be able to do a better comparison?

If you want to meet him, go by the old Court House mid to late morning. I'm sure he'd be right chuffed to learn how you tracked down who the artist was. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.