Article on Culture Shock

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think I wrote many years ago that you know that you are becoming accostomed to life in the Dominican Republic when you can refer to Dominicans and things Dominican without the flowery "effing" prefixing everything.
Like just now the effing lights just went out....(really!!)

It does take time, language poorly spoken or not, does make a difference, and flexibility are all parts of the equation...,

And I, too, am a fan of dV8....she is a really nice person to be around.

HB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
The only place that I got culture shock was going to America lol....somehow I expected it to be more similar to the UK - it all depends what you are expecting I suppose, as to whether you are shocked or not

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i am still shocked at the behaviour of dominicans whenever i'm in their homes, always offered the best seat in the house, a large cool drink, with ice, a napkin wrapped around an ice-cold cerveza, a saucer under my coffee cup, i've found that leaving the saucer on top of the cup keeps the coffee hot and flies off, should you prefer it an hour later, this is before i announce that i'm only looking for miguel to fix a batterie. aside from living conditions, poor lights, lack of toilet seats (in nice houses), bad drivers, the heat, i must remember my emily post and be courteous...........in the U.S. it's "frankie ain't here, look out in the garage, see ya, bye"..............
How true.

I have found myself coming into a room in a social setting, and going around to everyone, whether I know them or not, with a greeting before I do anything else:
-elders first, if possible
-quick cheek to cheek hug with women I know
-handshake/quick waist hug with familiar men and boys
-double handshake, hand on hand, with men I don't know (next meeting will be the handshake/hug ritual)
-handshake and quick cheek-to-cheek with women I just met IF she initiates the hug

Then I watch the ritual repeat itself as more folks arrive. Over and over.

I LOVE this culture! I LOVE the intense family love, respect and colseness! :classic:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks for compliments, CB and HB :)

i guess many traits in dominican culture are similar to what i am used to from poland. granted, we say "i could be worse" to "how are you?" and we do not grin like mad men when faced with complete strangers but we do kiss to say hello/goodbye, we pay unexpected visits and we do, shamlessly, ask "how much do you make" :)

this is not, however, a reason why i never suffered from culture shock. i would rather put it to my cynical and pessimistic nature. i observe things and in my mind i am already writing mean email to my friends that will send them laughing. the event can be a wedding or a funeral - i watch with the same interest and the same sense of irony.

i have my bad days when i really want to be elswhere, just not in DR but mostly i have days "gosh, i wish i had a camera so my friends could see THIS!"

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
thanks for compliments, CB and HB :)

i guess many traits in dominican culture are similar to what i am used to from poland. granted, we say "i could be worse" to "how are you?" and we do not grin like mad men when faced with complete strangers but we do kiss to say hello/goodbye, we pay unexpected visits and we do, shamlessly, ask "how much do you make" :)

this is not, however, a reason why i never suffered from culture shock. i would rather put it to my cynical and pessimistic nature. i observe things and in my mind i am already writing mean email to my friends that will send them laughing. the event can be a wedding or a funeral - i watch with the same interest and the same sense of irony.

i have my bad days when i really want to be elswhere, just not in DR but mostly i have days "gosh, i wish i had a camera so my friends could see THIS!"

If you want to visit me, you will have to pm me first or you won't come in. I hate unexpected visits and that has nothing to do with me myself but all with my dogs :bunny:

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
If you want to visit me, you will have to pm me first or you won't come in. I hate unexpected visits and that has nothing to do with me myself but all with my dogs :bunny:

Somebody pm me with directions to her house, so I can drop in unannounced. I enjoy hearing profanity in languages I don't understand. ;)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Somebody pm me with directions to her house, so I can drop in unannounced. I enjoy hearing profanity in languages I don't understand. ;)

LOL puryear but you won't hear me saying anything because my dogs will do the job so you have to learn dog language although they are very direct and quite easy to understand.

But you are very welcome to visit me one day ;)