ATM Card Has Been Skimmed

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Chase waived foreign transaction fees in June 2013, thereabouts

I've had this card several years, it's through Hyatt Hotels - never had any foreign transaction fees from the beginning. Maybe they just did it across the board later.

I think credit card companies are wising up to the fact that they're losing business to the cards that don't charge the fee, and changing their policies.

Aug 6, 2006
What is happening is that to benefit from enhanced security, the cards with the chip require more sophisticated ATM machines. At the same time, Microsoft is discontinuing support for Windows XP, the program that is used by most ATMs and the older ATMs do not have the power to run Windows 7 or 8. Banks are notoriously cheap and do not want to spend the extra money needed to upgrade their machines and software.

Eventually, something will have to give.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm charged $5 per ATM withdrawal with Chase.............. along with the local ATM fee of between 120 to 200 pesos each time......and the ****ty exchange rate..

That's an ATM fee RAAAY. Foreign transaction fees are different. For example, when I bought a refrigerator at La Sirena several years ago on my Visa card, I paid an additional 3% 'foreign transaction fee', a separate charge on my credit card bill.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
USAA: great bank, awesome service, NO ATM fees (fully reimbursed) and decent exchange rates.

Best banking I've ever used, period.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right AE... my Chase card is an old Continental Airlines Rewardcard... now UAL
The fees came off last year......I use it in the US and Canada, not here... but getting rid of the Cdn fees was good.

RAAAY.... ATM'scost money to use unless you stay in the prescribed sysytem - as prescribed by your bank

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ahhhhh,,,,,,,either way, it's a pain in the backside..... I take out 10,000 every month, and that ain't pesos. $18 per thousand, not taking into account the reduced exchange rate.

Why don't you open a 'dollar' account at a Dominican bank, and just wire transfer the money into it? Most US banks charge a flat fee of around $45 to wire any amount. We've done it several times. A lot cheaper and safer than using a Dominican ATM for 10G's a month.

If you use BanReservas, you also get a scratch off lottery ticket for every $50US you exchange, might be a big win-win situation. :laugh:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You need a better system RAAAY...... I keep accounts in 4 countries and have little to no problems.

start by getting an account here (RD) that you wire into.... get US and peso accounts, to save your US$$ until you like the rate.
OR, develop a good check casher relationship

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
When my mom returned to the US from her visit here she received a new Amex card. When she called and asked why since she had not requested one or noticed any problems with her account they told her that her card "may" have been compromised. They would not give her any other information. She only used it twice while here, once at the Hilton for the bill and at Avis for the rental car.