ATM Exchange Rate

novagringo

Jan 13, 2005
Is the ATM Exchange Rate competitive? Will my Visa check card (debit) work? My thought is that if the fee isn't too high, I could avoid travelling with lots of cash. Another newbie question--do the supermercados accept debit/credit cards?

Chris from Northern Virginia

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I live here, in Sosua, and i never use anything else than the atm's. I use Banco del Progreso, they allows transactions up to 20.000 pesos.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Check first

You need to check with your bank about using the Visa debit card as a credit card. I have a Master Card debit card which will NOT work without a pin number and accompanying fee. According to my bank, Master Card has blocked use of the debit card (without pin) in the DR. Visa MIGHT have done the same.

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
I used both Banco Santo Cruz and Progresso and got a better TASA than the street. Just be cognizant of any fees imposed for foreign banks.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Credit Cards & ATM's

When traveling in the DR I try to carry as little cash as possible. Most businesses now accept MC/Visa and my credit card company always gives me a better exchange rate that I get when exchanging USD to DOP in the DR.

When I need cash I use my ATM and always get a better rate of exchange than changing cash at a Dominican bank.

Charlie