ATM problem again...

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
Just got stung today at Progreso ATM. Unfortunately, tried two ATM transactions for RD$15,000 and now both went thru without dispensing cash from the ATM. I already placed a dispute at my bank and will go into the surcursal when they open on Monday morning to see if they can review the ATM's records. Didn't happen to me at another Progreso ATM on Churchill and for the same amount of $RD15,000 one-time withdrawal, so I am not sure what gives, but this is very frustrating.

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
You're probably trying to take out too much in one shot. I've been told by various managers in Banks that the larger the deposit, the higher the probability of it not going through the slot, which results in the money being jammed.

I too used to take out larger amounts, and encountered the same problem in SOME ATM's. I have not had the problem since I started taking out smaller amounts.

Thanks for that. That could well be, but I took out $RD15,000 at the Churchill Progreso-no problems. It could be that this particular ATM was stocked only with 500 notes and not 2000 or 1000 notes, so yes that wold be a problem. The manager of the branch today told me that it is most likely a problem of communication between the network of Progreso and the foreign bank, but that doesn't seem to make sense when the debit went thru no problem. What do you think should be the maximum to attempt to take out of these ATM's....Maybe $RD10,000 at one time or less?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Had Two Withdrawls From By Boston Bank Account !

On Sept. 10th. While I was in Boston,2 withdrawls were made in NewYork City!
This card has NEVER been used in the USA,only in the DR. Cash machines from Banco Popular,and Banco de Reservas.
I got the money credited to my account by my Boston bank.
ANYONE outhere think that there is not a "Dominican Connection" to those withdrawls"???????????????? :cheeky:

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
On Sept. 10th. While I was in Boston,2 withdrawls were made in NewYork City!
This card has NEVER been used in the USA,only in the DR. Cash machines from Banco Popular,and Banco de Reservas.
I got the money credited to my account by my Boston bank.
ANYONE outhere think that there is not a "Dominican Connection" to those withdrawls"???????????????? :cheeky:

I think I get what you are saying. This was an ATM debit card from a bank in Boston that was only used at cash machines (BP and Banreservas) in DR. I guess it could be theoretically possible that someone also got the information thru your bank in Boston, but more than likely there is some fishy business going on at the ATM's in DR or internally thru the domestic bank networks for the ATM's. This is not good.

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
If it was a credit card, the transaction went through Cardnet.

We've discussed on here the problems that Cardnet has had in the past with employees selling card numbers.

Well the poster refers to it as a 'card' so we really don't know whether it is debit or credit. However, most people refrain from using ATM machines to pull cash with credit cards because the cost to do so is quite expensive in comparison to a debit card.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It Was A "DEBIT" Card

A few years ago I got a call from Banco Reservas asking if I had just made a "purchase" in a town outside Chicago Illinois. I said no,as I was in SD at the time,It was a Banco Resevas Gold Mastercard. The card was NEVER used outside the DR.They cancelled the card,and brought me a new card at my house the next day. They refunded the money,$100 US. When the monthly card review arrived,it had a $100. charge for gasoline at a gas station in Illinois ! Guess there are dominicans in Illinois too!!!! :rolleyes:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
A few years ago I got a call from Banco Reservas asking if I had just made a "purchase" in a town outside Chicago Illinois. I said no,as I was in SD at the time,It was a Banco Resevas Gold Mastercard. The card was NEVER used outside the DR.They cancelled the card,and brought me a new card at my house the next day. They refunded the money,$100 US. When the monthly card review arrived,it had a $100. charge for gasoline at a gas station in Illinois ! Guess there are dominicans in Illinois too!!!! :rolleyes:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I figured as much that it was a debit card. Terrible amount of fraud going on. Going to an ATM and getting your account debited, but not receiving your cash is a nice scam.

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
It takes a lot of patience to live in this country. Now my money is caught on the merchant's account-Progreso- and it will be 10 days until I possibly ever see it in my own account again. I would refrain from using ATM's in this country. Maybe cash advance if you don't end up getting your number stolen in the process. Bad stuff all of this and all the reason to only be using cash.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
In September I tried to withdraw money three times from my Citibank checking account at Banco Popular in Sosua. I kept on getting an invalid account message.
A guy I was talking with also was experiencing the same problem.
So, the next day I tried to withdraw money from my Citibank account instead of choosing checking I chose savings and I received cash.
Told the fellow who was having the same problem and he selected savings instead of checking and he received his cash also.

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
In September I tried to withdraw money three times from my Citibank checking account at Banco Popular in Sosua. I kept on getting an invalid account message.
A guy I was talking with also was experiencing the same problem.
So, the next day I tried to withdraw money from my Citibank account instead of choosing checking I chose savings and I received cash.
Told the fellow who was having the same problem and he selected savings instead of checking and he received his cash also.

That's interesting and could well be, but I chose checking before at a Progreso ATM on Churchill several weeks prior and no problems at all. From my research on this it sounds like it was a problem with the signal from the Visa gateway or Progreso host processor to ping the ATM to disburse the cash after receiving approval from the Card's Bank.

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
Provisional Credit now posted to account.

Definition of Provisional Credit:

Temporary redeposit of funds in a disputed Electronic Funds Transfer while the transaction is investigated. Under the Error Resolution procedures in Regulation E, a consumer who claims his bank account was debited erroneously without his or her authorization may challenge the transaction. The consumer's bank has ten business days from the time the complaint is lodged to investigate and if necessary correct the error. If it cannot, the bank must return the funds debited, and it then has up to 45 days in most transactions to investigate the alleged error.

http://www.bankersonline.com/regs/205/205-11.html

dunroamin

Oct 12, 2010
Go steady! As a result of using my VISA debit on a banco popular ATM, someone in the chain BP>VISA>MyBank, took all the avialiable funds from my account in UK. After six months my UK bank reimbursed me. It was a struggle.
I concluded that it was a person in DR not at BP but who knows?