Attempted Car Jacking exiting Puerto Plata Airport

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I guess we will never know if this is becoming a problem as is seems people do not report anything to the police in the DR.

For me, that's the biggest problem. I know Lambada suggested that that only works if you only have contacts, but I'll have to disagree with her this time, useful or not a querella will help prove that the attempted carjacking happened, you can even show it to the airport management, or even better send a copy to the minister of tourism along with your letter. Police is bad, but not that bad.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
If you do not report it to the police they will not no there is crime by the airport

The "Airport" is a tourist area, there is ZERO CRIME in the tourist areas!
I read that on DR1 news from the head of the Tourist Police, so it must be true.

In Mike's excitement perhaps he did not see all the Dominican Musical Instruments
and dancing girls trying to welcome them to the D.R.

They were not beating on the windows,
.... just dancing to the beat of a different drum.

Singing "Party! Party!", not "Pare! Pare!" :bunny:
(PS: Mike knows I am just joking with him)

BTW Mike, I believe it's okay to carry the gun on you at the airport as long as you stay outside the terminals.

Don Don

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Any news hounds out there here about a murder of a Puerto Rican in POP?

My wife told me that there was a story on the radio today, my step daughter also heard about this from another source, that there was a murder yesterday somewhere in Puerto Plata of a Puerto Rican man. He was driving a Jeepeta. He was attacked, robbed and murdered. Has anyone found this in print?

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Ok Mike (Windeguy), lets bring this to a close, time for a .......

Trial by Jury
by your
DR1 Peers
- - - - -
But that will always result in a
Hung Jury!

;) lol ;)

Don Don

Mike :
this is T. We're amazed at the reaction your post has created. I know your intent was to give us a " heads up" - and it is appreciated.

As Don Don - and others - say - next thing we'll hear you've been kidnapped by aliens, and transported to Another World. Hope it's not as weird as here.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
My wife told me that there was a story on the radio today, my step daughter also heard about this from another source, that there was a murder yesterday somewhere in Puerto Plata of a Puerto Rican man. He was driving a Jeepeta. He was attacked, robbed and murdered. Has anyone found this in print?

It was in Santiago, he was not robbed, they found him with a huge load of money,here is the link in spanish: Matan a balazos ciudadano estadounidense - DiarioLibre.com

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Rashomon effect

Many thoughtful posts but windeguy was the only one who was there.

:confused::eek:

Mar 2, 2008
"Many thoughtful posts but windeguy was the only one who was there."
Celt202

Two, actually. Post 88, by Corvetteguy.

Heres a thought, Since the OP wants to legalize drugs on another post,why dont we also legalize robbing and stealing from each other so people can then fund their use of the now legal and more easily attainable drugs. Maybe the OP was high on his own supply and just thought he was getting carjacked!!!! ;)

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Heres a thought, Since the OP wants to legalize drugs on another post,why dont we also legalize robbing and stealing from each other so people can then fund their use of the now legal and more easily attainable drugs. Maybe the OP was high on his own supply and just thought he was getting carjacked!!!! ;)

Thats lame dude.. he did us all a favor telling us what happened and his interpretation of events.. we need to encourage community reporting not discourage it by getting personal.

I'm not taking it personal nor am I accusing Windguy of being on drugs, I was being a little sarcastic but I see people take things too seriously in written formats. If I were speaking in person with you guys you would have known I was being a little sarcastic. No insults were intended so I hope i offended noone. Now lets get back to what happened..... In all my years going back and forth thru that particular area, I feel much more secure there (POP airport)than many other areas in Puerto Plata or other towns up north because you do have the airbase right there and airport security,thats why I really feel like it was something other than a carjacking attempt, Also if it was a carjacking attempt there is really no place to run and hide there unless you can get into La union or Cangrejos,and they are relatively small neighborhoods. If I were a thief I would pick a better ambush location. Just mho.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I will repeat:

I'm not taking it personal nor am I accusing Windguy of being on drugs, I was being a little sarcastic but I see people take things too seriously in written formats. If I were speaking in person with you guys you would have known I was being a little sarcastic. No insults were intended so I hope i offended noone. Now lets get back to what happened..... In all my years going back and forth thru that particular area, I feel much more secure there (POP airport)than many other areas in Puerto Plata or other towns up north because you do have the airbase right there and airport security,thats why I really feel like it was something other than a carjacking attempt, Also if it was a carjacking attempt there is really no place to run and hide there unless you can get into La union or Cangrejos,and they are relatively small neighborhoods. If I were a thief I would pick a better ambush location. Just mho.

Just to reiterate,there were 4 people in the car that I was driving. Two Dominicans and two residents originally from the USA. All of us saw this as an attempted Robbery/Carjacking. Corvetteguy also posted in this thread, he was the passenger in our car that picked us up.

I will say this, there are some posters on this forum that live in some type of fantasy world.

I spoke to the manager of the airport today, who was good enough to call me from the US. He will speak to the local authorities about this, including the commander of the local military base. The personnel from the military base do indeed occasionally patrol the area by the airport and will be told to about this situation.

badpiece33: I am glad to see you were just being sarcastic about the first drug remark. It is very hard to correctly interpret sarcasm such as that on a board like this. I am certainly guilty of being sarcastic from time to time.

However, your comment on relating this to my position on legalizing drugs, however, is ridiculous. I am not being sarcastic about that.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
This was done between 4:30 and 5:00 PM,
why did they not wait for a latter flight when it was dark ? :ermm:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I spoke to the manager of the airport today, who was good enough to call me from the US. He will speak to the local authorities about this, including the commander of the local military base. The personnel from the military base do indeed occasionally patrol the area by the airport and will be told to about this situation.

Excellent news - that's a good example of responsible, effective reporting.

ExtremeR, I knew this was in the works which is why I didn't respond to your earlier comment. I'm not against reporting things to the police personally but only if it's safe/effective to do so. The airport manager wears a number of hats which give him high level access - having him report it, rather than Windeguy, is likely to produce better results.

I'll give you another example - a few years ago we heard that our old, empty house in town had been taken over by druggies at night. Obviously, that had to be reported, not least to clarify we didn't condone such conduct. But BushBaby waltzing into the police station on his own to report would not have been a good idea; we didn't know which police were involved in the drugs industry (still don't) & BushBaby could have set himself up as a target. So.......he went with Mendez, Hon. Brit Consul for the north coast & himself an ex-police officer. It was effective; druggies were removed, we strengthened security on the house prior to selling it and........there was no untoward comeback on BushBaby.

So don't get me wrong, ExtremeR, I'm not saying don't report to police: I'm saying do it safely & effectively, using third parties with access where necessary. Above all, new expats should think whether they could be setting themselves up as targets when they report issues - there are good ways of doing this & then there are less good ways.

Reactions: Adrian Bye

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Memory Bank

Excellent news - that's a good example of responsible, effective reporting.

ExtremeR, I knew this was in the works which is why I didn't respond to your earlier comment. I'm not against reporting things to the police personally but only if it's safe/effective to do so. The airport manager wears a number of hats which give him high level access - having him report it, rather than Windeguy, is likely to produce better results.

I'll give you another example - a few years ago we heard that our old, empty house in town had been taken over by druggies at night. Obviously, that had to be reported, not least to clarify we didn't condone such conduct. But BushBaby waltzing into the police station on his own to report would not have been a good idea; we didn't know which police were involved in the drugs industry (still don't) & BushBaby could have set himself up as a target. So.......he went with Mendez, Hon. Brit Consul for the north coast & himself an ex-police officer. It was effective; druggies were removed, we strengthened security on the house prior to selling it and........there was no untoward comeback on BushBaby.

So don't get me wrong, ExtremeR, I'm not saying don't report to police: I'm saying do it safely & effectively, using third parties with access where necessary. Above all, new expats should think whether they could be setting themselves up as targets when they report issues - there are good ways of doing this & then there are less good ways.

Now there is a piece of advice worth remembering :glasses: !!!
How to properly report a crime...... Ingenious !! :classic: