Nov 14, 2003
Actually

Dominicano de Santo Domingo, Con coraz?n cibae?o

Right now in Toronto.

PS: Who said I am not going to learn about hockey? :cool:

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Roots

Born and raised in La Vega...proud to be 'Cibae?o'...travelled to NYC at 13 and after two months moved permanently to DC where I stayed 30 years...
moved to Madrid, Spain for 4 years from where I travelled to, and became very familiar with, most countries of Western Europe...have been back for 8-1/2 years to a simpler life and hope to stay forever, in spite of having to deal with the PRD political party and their lousy governments (hopefully we'll get rid of them on May 16th---E PA FUERA QUE VAN!---we will kick them out!).

Apr 26, 2002
This will shock some, but I was born in the great Dominican homeland of Lynn, Massachusetts. Studied in Santo Domingo and Barahona. Live now mainly in Pennsylvania. Married to chula Cibauena. We own a house in Jarabacoa. Our kids are studying in Jarabacoa. We have feet in both countries.

DominiRican

Apr 7, 2004
I'm new to this forum as well. I was born in Chicago, raised mostly in NJ then moved back to Chicago where I currently reside. My mother is from the DR and I look forward to many trips to the island.

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
I was born in Santo Domingo and lived there up to age 15. I finished high school and attended college in Ohio and now live in Washington, DC

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Dominicaaaaaaaano Sooooooooy!
Y de mis raices, yo no voy a olvidarme,
Soy de una tierra tan humilde y tan grande,
Santiaguero por la gracia de Dios...

Born to Dominican parents (Jewish mommy and Cuban-Dominican father) in the second city of importance in the Republic: Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros, to a loving family with many travels and world knowledge, attended the Instituto Evangelico(when it was really an Evangelist school and not a money making biz) where I met the coolest pastor I'd ever known in my life: Fernando Russell, a man that gave me the moral and example base upon which I built my character on. I traveled to other countries before I was able to walk, in a time when planes used propellers to fly and flying was as if you'd taken a cruise to your destination, people behaved with manners and so did the crew of those planes. Came to the States and never returned to my country or any other for that matter since at a very young age.

When I left my Adorada Quisqueya, a "Concho" in the "A" line was about $0.15 cents, a Coca-Cola without the bottle was $0.20 for the liquid but almost $0.75 cents extra for the bottle to take home until you returned it to the shop, Heladerias Los Capri in the corner of Ave. Duarte and Restauracion was the hot place to take a date to, Pizzeria Ole the cool place to meet with friends, La Terraza Noris for a top dinner at night under the stars right by the Monumento, EL Faraon to get the kids with your date off your back, Los Paraguitas in front of the Main Road to the Monumento to chill-out if you could pay the bill, El Cine Doble, Galaxia, Colon or Lama the place to go for a good movie (I always sat on the upper deck at the Colon because of the Palomitas shooters), Heladerias Nevada to chill if you wanted to be seen by everyone going downtown, La Pista to rollerblade a bid to disco music, the arcade atop the Galaxia for the PacMan and Space Invaders, Chimichurry Ailolys by the roundabout in the foot of the Monumento for a top of the line carne frita or you could had tried El Submarino right across the sidewalk from LA Chimenea in Calle Maimon, or Pizzeria New York, Manrresa, Panchitos at Los Jardines Metropolitanos, so many places, so many gone if not all...

Well, I guess I'm from a place that only lives in my memory as long as I live...

vee

Mar 7, 2004
I was born and raised in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, but have lived all over Canada due to employment with the Armed Forces. Lived in Nova Scotia, Alberta and Labrador, Newfoundland. Have been back in Kingston 12 years now.

I made my first trip to DR this year so I am a newbie. I fell in love with the country. My husband speaks Spanish so we traveled around to places I probably wouldn't have seen if he hadn't. He met up with a couple cab drivers who were very helpful. We have so much more to see and plan to make at least one trip a year.

Last edited:

SS2

Mar 13, 2004
Newcastle....

I have family in Newcastle...been there a couple of times and going again for 3rd time in May! Newcastle and the DR...like night and day, huh?

tigre72 said:
Been to Cabarete twice-going for 3rd time in May!
18 days and counting.

Rachel

SS2

Mar 13, 2004
Newcastle...

I have family there...been there a couple of times and going for 3rd time in May! Newcastle and the DR...like night and day, huh?

tigre72 said:
Been to Cabarete twice-going for 3rd time in May!
18 days and counting.

Rachel

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Lynn....Lynn...City of...

Porfio, congrats on escaping Lynn (j/k). I spent 4 1/2 teen-age years in Lynn...still have some family there.

rosario

Mar 22, 2004
Dominicana hasta la Tambora

Born in Santo Domingo, actually in La Maximo Gomez my mom was on her way to the Hospital (could not wait to get out). Lived in Quisqueya until I was 16 without my concept taken to the States, Miami. Currently, living in Miami but
traveling back and foward to Santo Domingo and thinking to go back to live in Quisqueya by the end of the 2004. Peace!

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Born in Kankakee, IL raised in Southern Illinois then 8 years in the DR. After that: Jamaica, Indiana, Florida, New Mexico, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, California and now my last stop, Las Vegas.

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
Another Brit

Born and bred in London England. Moved to the DR March last year and am currently living in Higuey.

I have only met three brits that live here so far.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
a long way

Sharron said:
Born and bred in London England. Moved to the DR March last year and am currently living in Higuey.

I have only met three brits that live here so far.

It's a long way from London to Higuey....there's not much to do there and it's a bit far from more civilized places....what do you do?

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
I work in an office in Bavaro, nothing exciting, but the work is easy and the pay?s not bad. I had a go at Guest Services in one of the hotels, but the pay was awful.

Would love to live in Bavaro, but the rents are out of my league, so Higuey (I actually live in La Otra Banda) will have to do for now.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Thanks!

Sharron said:
I work in an office in Bavaro, nothing exciting, but the work is easy and the pay?s not bad. I had a go at Guest Services in one of the hotels, but the pay was awful.

Would love to live in Bavaro, but the rents are out of my league, so Higuey (I actually live in La Otra Banda) will have to do for now.

Thanks! Just curious as how a Brit would wind up in Higuey but the Bavaro connection makes sense. I haven't been that way in a few years but I remember La Otra Banda having very nice wooden houses, very well kept and a nice little town. Good Luck!

Manxman

Aug 14, 2003
Born in Ireland,now living in the Isle of Man been to DR once .Will be back in on 25th JUNE cant wait I am staying in Sosua

mami

Mar 16, 2004
ss2 i hope you are reading all of these :)

Well i was born in san juan, pr moved to trenton, nj went to high school(boarding school) in lancaster, PA now living in the suburbs of New Jersey for the last 2 years but i will be moving again in July to Santo Domingo!