Austrian killed in Playa Laguna

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Because of this

Unfortunately two people in Sos?a seem to have the likely real name of K.T. (with only a slight difference in spelling), which also spurred rumours.

I think we have to be very careful about unsourced comments

I read in another forum that the man who was killed had cheated people for 2.000.000 German Marks in Europe.
It would be better, Dre Broeders, to give a source (even if you think most of us won't understand the language ;) ).

There is quite a long piece in today's El Faro print version - I can only give online link to front page because other pages don't seem to be accessible
Periodico El Faro

This front page will change next Tues when next front page replaces it. You will see from front page that the Mexican wife of deceased has survived her surgery although still in a clinic & that she has been able to identify one of the assailants. Inside it says a) lawyer colleagues of ex-judge say he isn't the sort to act with rancour but police won't give any details of any interview they might, or might not, have had with him b) Police won't name identified assailant because of ongoing enquiries c) nothing was stolen from the home d) it was speculated that assailants might be Austrian but nothing has been confirmed. The way it was written made me think journalist had heard this one mooted around on the street but had no evidence. What IS looking possible is that assailants, whoever they are, had visited a few days earlier on pretext of renting property from deceased & his wife (i.e. a reconnaisance trip). The article also details the wife's (now widow's) litigation in this country & the case of the judge referred to above. Puerto Plata's Police Chief General Then (recently promoted from Coronel) is in charge of investigations. Sounds like he is being very professional & at this stage giving the press minimal information. Which means they are padding with some speculation IMHO.

That's just to update you. I'd still prefer we examined the issues as a learning tool for expats when faced with judiciary or Gov't functionaries' extortion. Not the petty stuff of everyday life, but the big stuff as referred to earlier. Because, sooner or later, most expats will have experience of this, one way or another.

usedtoliveindr

Mar 14, 2008
the dead guy was my old landlord

Hi guys

I am in total shock, i used to live at playa laguna in 2005, this guy karl Teufl was my landlord, when i lived there for a year and a half, it was great at first and then the sewage system broke and sewage started coming up from our toilet and kitchen sink in our apartment, for months we have been asking him to fix it, he did but it kept on breaking...he hired someone really cheap with no experience and it got worst and worst so we have no choice but to moved out and he did not give us our deposit back. It was so horrible to live like that!!!!! he didnt care at all.....Karl (everyone calls him carlos) is one of those people that had gotten a bad reputation, everyone has something bad to say about him, as apparently he has f**ked alot of people over....I heard how he has sold land to people that he did not own...lots of rumors...Also, he has scammed a few people that we know of too.....so i am thinking it has something to do with that. If it was the judge, they would have killed Maria (his wife) instead of him....that is my opinion....

I think he was a greedy person, definately selfish, but he definately does not deserve to die...its so horrible to hear of such tragedy like this, he has two sons in austria!!!!i cant believe that this happened but i think he may have pushed someone's button so far that they retailiated....its crazy!!!!!!

For sure, i dont think its robbery....broad daylight...it doesnt make sense. I am trying to contact old neighours to gain more information.

WOW!!! I am still in shock!!!!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Percentages

(However, whatever the outcome, certain people will again say, that such a murder can happen everywhere... and I agree.
Well, it's just more probable here.)

Yep. Everytime I see a post that says"well, it can happen anywhere", or "There's plenty of crime in NY or Miami", I always wonder -Yes, but what is the percentages of crime? Numbers in % ?
It's way too easy to generalize with such statements without putting some substance behind the comment.
john

usedtoliveindr

Mar 14, 2008
thanks

When you ask a question, such as this one, you would do well to quote the text of the person to whom you are addressing the question.
If done properly, you stand a darn good chance of getting a reply.

thanks for the tip...its my first time on here

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
If I were in litigation for anything of importance and was approached by a judge, at least. That appears to be a win, win situation, for that door being open for any other legal problems in the future while that judge is in office. Having a judge, corrupt or not, while living in a corrupt area of the country, would have come in handy, especially if some carracter was sueing me for 600k or whatever, $ 2,500 is worth that door being opened. That is a powerful allie to have on your side, because he could advise you on future litigations, so, to be honest and dishonest, I would pay, happily. He would know what other judges are approachable. Hey, Esteban, must pay and it appears to be Rome, so when in Rome, well you know.

Last edited:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Who can translate this link with Babelfish?
I do not know how to do that.

Copy the text of the article and paste into the Translate Text window on this page in Google Language Tools: Language Tools

Choose Gernman to English below the window and press the translate button.

It's a similar process for Babelfish:

AltaVista - Babel Fish Translation

Those verdammten Teufels don't have a German to Dutch option yet.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Who can translate this link with Babelfish?
I do not know how to do that.
  1. Goto AltaVista - Babel Fish Translation
  2. In the lower part of the blue translator window, below where it says: "Translate a Web page" paste the link of the web page you wish to be translated.
  3. Just below, select a the from-and-to language (E. g: Eerman-English) from the drop down menu.
  4. Click on the "Translate" button.
Results will vary widely, and in this particular case I trust most will find it exceptionally unsatisfying or useless. The probable reason being that the author chose to write in a witty humorous style which makes a subjective translation using an automated system almost impossible.

... J-D.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You'll all be pleased to know that the widow of the deceased survived her injuries & left hospital. There was a report in last weeks paper that police had now taken her witness statement of events (she wasn't well enough earlier).
Periodico El Faro - Polic?a vuelve a interrogar esposa austr?aco muerto a cuchilladas en Cabarete

This would appear to mean that she stayed here. I think under the circumstances if a bunch of thugs had just killed my husband & seriously injured myself (for whatever reason) I would have been outta here as soon as I was well enough to get on a plane, even if only for a short while. Hope she stays safe.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
On the Run

....I would have been outta here as soon as I was well enough to get on a plane, even if only for a short while....

Even more so, as she apperently identified the murderer and gave his Santo Domingo address to the investigators. The police, however, has not been able to apprehend the accused.

m'frog