Auto Air Conditioning Santo Domingo

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I need a reliable competent shop to troubleshoot and fix my auto air contioning in Santo Domingo.

Thanks

Auto Aire Jimenez S.A., - almost at the corner of Churchill and Kennedy on the right side going north. Last published numbers Phone: 1.809.547.2362, Fax: 1.809.544.2838
Good Luck,
Bryan

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
Thank you anastacio...this guy thinks he can troubleshoot over the internet (amazing).If that were commonplace no one would go to the pros.All this arrogant pr$ck had to do was correct me about the fan clutch.All i stated was that I thought i heard it reffered to as that before(key word thought)...and he goes of the deep end.This is the type of guy you want to stay away from,His only concern is making money hand over fist and not actually helping.Telling the OP to Work on his AC system is redonkulous.Could be a relay??yeah could also be faulty wiring, a short,bad computer or a elephant took a huge dump in his car.Dont even try to get the OP involved with the Electrical.I dought he has a wiring diagram,multimeter or OBD to deal with that:glasses:. He needs to go to a pro, which obviously you are not. since even amateours know this cannot be done over the internet:tired:.But miss cleo the mechanic knows all and sees all. so this post is pointless.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Pictures worth a thousand words.hope this pic helps
Car AC Repair Chennai

That IS helpful. I took a look under the hood of my car and located the AC apparati after looking at that photo.

NO, no it is NOT. The magnetic clutch is on the compressor and the fan clutch is guess where? On the fan. Which you dont have anyway because you have a 4 cylinder front wheel drive car with an electronic fan...but could be an issue to deal with in relation to the AC not working.

When I asked you to be detailed I was hoping for more than one sentence. I was hoping for conditions, problems, time of day, speed when problem occurs, sounds, smells, time you have had this car and when was it in an accident? What kind of accident and who did the repairs?

All I know so far is you have a 4 cylinder shtbox from Korea. Give me some more details.

I bought the car several months ago from a small dealer in Villa Maria. When I test drove it I realized the transmission was crap and the compression was not very good so I beat down the price and they caved quickly. I asked for an outrageous trade in on my 1992 Honda Civic and accepted 33% less than what I asked.

When I bought it the AC was working fine but I thought it was weak. I had the trannie fixed at Peravia motors which I regret because it was expensive and took three weeks to turn around. I asked them to check the AC and they said it was working fine but it still didn't seem right.

About a month ago I was running around the city doing things when I had a catastrophic engine failure on Kennedy near Lope de Vega. It appears the coolant level had dropped quickly and I didn't notice the temperature guage.

I called the towing service that's tacked onto my Aster cable TV bill for 60 pesos a month and they sent out a guy in a small truck and he couldn't get it started. He brought in a tow truck and we towed it to my regular mechanic, Autoficina on 30 de Mayo next to Metaldom.

Carmelo Pedriglieri, my mechanic, determined that it wasn't a blown head gasket as I had thought but that the engine had seized up and the block was flocked.

Bluck me fue.

Carmelo's son called around and located a used engine at Franklin Daihatsu. I went over there to get it. I talked to Franklin about the AC and he said sometimes there can be a problem in a Daihatsu Terios if the fan clutch is not working properly. Terios has a fan clutch just behind the fan. He threw in a used fan clutch with the engine.

Carmelo installed the engine with the used fan clutch and the AC has not been working at all since.

The AC blows cold for seconds then blows hot. It occurs at any time of the day at any speed. There are no noises or smells when I turn on the AC.

Yesterday I checked the fan clutch and it can be turned easily. I wonder if the used FC has failed. If the FC had failed wouldn't the engine be overheating?

I like the Terios even though a car I bought at a great price has now mushroomed into a car that has cost more than I wanted to pay. Daihatsus are made in Japan and aren't marketed in the USA.

Call Jose at 809 901 8567, he will find and fix any problem.
He is in Jacobo Majluta ave.

I may talk to him. From your posts you know your way around and besides you make your own tacos. :p

Go South on Maximo Gomez @ February 27 and take a fast right onto a dirt road and you will see "Auto Air Conditioning" on the left. The owner is a Maestro and will diagnose your problem immediately and give you a price quote. He is not cheap and you will have to wait a few hours. I think it was 21,000 pesos for a new compressor. The initial compressor didnt work right and he replaced it with another American made compressor which is working out fine. Bring your Laptop and wait across the street in the Barcelo Hotel Lobby.

Thanks

Auto Aire Jimenez S.A., - almost at the corner of Churchill and Kennedy on the right side going north. Last published numbers Phone: 1.809.547.2362, Fax: 1.809.544.2838
Good Luck,
Bryan

Thanks.

If I ever buy a ship and it runs aground I'll call you for the cleanup. :laugh:

Last edited:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Thank you anastacio...this guy thinks he can troubleshoot over the internet (amazing).If that were commonplace no one would go to the pros.All this arrogant pr$ck had to do was correct me about the fan clutch.All i stated was that I thought i heard it reffered to as that before(key word thought)...and he goes of the deep end.This is the type of guy you want to stay away from,His only concern is making money hand over fist and not actually helping.Telling the OP to Work on his AC system is redonkulous.Could be a relay??yeah could also be faulty wiring, a short,bad computer or a elephant took a huge dump in his car.Dont even try to get the OP involved with the Electrical.I dought he has a wiring diagram,multimeter or OBD to deal with that:glasses:. He needs to go to a pro, which obviously you are not. since even amateours know this cannot be done over the internet:tired:.But miss cleo the mechanic knows all and sees all. so this post is pointless.

Funny post. I haven't been around any elephants lately. ;)

That gives me an idea, maybe I can get a barrio 'electrician' to trouble shoot the electrical system when he's not busy setting up illegal hookups.

In defense of RacerX he seems to know his stuff even if he can be a bit confrontional at times. :cheeky:

I appreciate all the input.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Celt how did you figure out the compression was not good by only driving the car? Just curious..

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
That IS helpful. I took a look under the hood of my car and located the AC apparati after looking at that photo.

I bought the car several months ago from a small dealer in Villa Maria. When I test drove it I realized the transmission was crap and the compression was not very good so I beat down the price and they caved quickly. I asked for an outrageous trade in on my 1992 Honda Civic and accepted 33% less than what I asked.

When I bought it the AC was working fine but I thought it was weak. I had the trannie fixed at Peravia motors which I regret because it was expensive and took three weeks to turn around. I asked them to check the AC and they said it was working fine but it still didn't seem right.

About a month ago I was running around the city doing things when I had a catastrophic engine failure on Kennedy near Lope de Vega. It appears the coolant level had dropped quickly and I didn't notice the temperature guage.

I called the towing service that's tacked onto my Aster cable TV bill for 60 pesos a month and they sent out a guy in a small truck and he couldn't get it started. He brought in a tow truck and we towed it to my regular mechanic, Autoficina on 30 de Mayo next to Metaldom.

Carmelo Pedriglieri, my mechanic, determined that it wasn't a blown head gasket as I had thought but that the engine had seized up and the block was flocked.

Bluck me fue.

Carmelo's son called around and located a used engine at Franklin Daihatsu. I went over there to get it. I talked to Franklin about the AC and he said sometimes there can be a problem in a Daihatsu Terios if the fan clutch is not working properly. Terios has a fan clutch just behind the fan. He threw in a used fan clutch with the engine.

Carmelo installed the engine with the used fan clutch and the AC has not been working at all since.

The AC blows cold for seconds then blows hot. It occurs at any time of the day at any speed. There are no noises or smells when I turn on the AC.

Yesterday I checked the fan clutch and it can be turned easily. I wonder if the used FC has failed. If the FC had failed wouldn't the engine be overheating?

I like the Terios even though a car I bought at a great price has now mushroomed into a car that has cost more than I wanted to pay. Daihatsus are made in Japan and aren't marketed in the USA.

I may talk to him. From your posts you know your way around and besides you make your own tacos. :p

Thanks

Thanks.

If I ever buy a ship and it runs aground I'll call you for the cleanup. :laugh:

I read that whole thing and just figured out you re a woman. HAhahahahahahahaahaaahahahaha! Wow, it was so apparent I just never saw it until I read that right here. Geesh!

Yea yea anyway, Diahatsu Terios, is a Toyota mini-car. A real lawn tractor. 1.3L 4cyl with 58-90 hp depending on market. It didnt dawn on you this thing was a piece of dung before you got it? Traded in a Civic? What was wrong with that one? Fan clutch? You no has. Electronic fan bolted to the radiator? You has that. Ok, you spun the blades on the PLASTIC FAN? It moved? Good. That tells you its not seized. But you need to know if its coming on.

Generic pictures to demonstrate my point:

a. Cooling Fan Assembly
(382-55001-100)_2003_mini_cooper_cooper_radiator_cooling_fan_assembly.jpg

b. Fan clutch
clutch_fan.jpg

c. AC compressor-clutch is the black part driven by the belt.
AC_compressor_Air_Conditioning_Compressor-Car_A_C.jpg

Now that you know what the compressor looks like, and that the fan isnt seized. Start the car up, turn on the AC and see if the clutch on the compressor moves with the belt. If so, count the cycling time between the clutch start/stop. Just watch it, click/clack, click clack and get a time frame for it(seconds on/seconds off). Quick cycling time represents low refrigerant charge. No cycling time means the charge is too low to start the compressor. Long cycling time means adequate charge.

Cooling Fan: has 2 speeds, low, to be used during normal operation and high to be used with the AC. Additionally there is an AC relay which controls fan speed, along with the coolant temperature switch. But you already went through 1 motor so far for some coolant issue and who knows what they replaced when they changed this tiny motor. You cant miss it when its on high because its just like a house fan on high. I dont know where the fuse panel is on this car, but there should be like a 30-40 Amp fuse in the fan circuit. If you can find it and which fuse it is, check to see if its blown.
Fan clutches are only on mechanical fans which are driven by the motor, most often the water pump pulley. Small engines dont tend to have this equipment.

I m thinking your problem is that cooling fan set-up. I dont know if the fan is faulty or just not receiving the signal to turn on. You have to fault trace there, a. is the circuit complete(fuses, wiring harness and power module), b. does it come on, both speeds, c. is power coming to the fan module and not the fan motor or not the module at all? The AC problem sounds like you re not getting enough air past the condenser(the radiator like device, IN FRONT, of the radiator) to effect the heat transfer. Which is why you get cold for a very brief period and then it blows hot. The compressor send the excited refrigerant under pressure to the condenser to absorb the relatively colder outside air in front of the car from the top to the bottom. The colder refrigerant leaves the condenser at the bottom(condensed but still under pressure) and runs through an dispersion mechanism into the evaporator(which is inside the car mounted in front of the blower motor fan behind the dash). This blower motor blows air past the evaporator where the refrigerant is no longer under pressure but in a gaseous state. The outside air as it travels through the evap becomes cold and leaves the plenum and "conditions the air" in the car/house, or freezer or refrigerator, its all the same principle. Then the gas goes through a dessicant(drying agent) to remove water and then back to the compressor to continue the cycle. Which may also be why you blew the motor the car came with because the fan didnt turn on and the guy you got it from knew this. And the car ran hot in the city(with the AC on) with no airflow coming through the radiator. And you cracked the block and seized the motor.

Find out if the fan works before you do anything. Because if it doesnt you re going to ruin another motor.

Last edited:

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Dear Mr RacerX.
I think that all of us non tech folks are really impressed with your erudite theory and superb (If incomprehensible) explanation on the basics of vapour cycle physics.
Assuming that your misogynistic hypothesis is correct and that the OP could be a female, I fail to see how this will direct the unfortunate, and overheated,car owner, male or female, to a suitable technical establishment.
Please clarify.
Having attempted to decrypt your ill-informed synopsis, I fail to see how an under- performing air con can be indicative and causative towards a "Ruined Motor" , by which one assumes you wish to say, "car engine".

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
It's a bit like asking for a drink of water and being shown Niagara falls or, asking "What's the Time?" and being presented by Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Dear Mr RacerX.
I think that all of us non tech folks are really impressed with your erudite theory and superb (If incomprehensible) explanation on the basics of vapour cycle physics.
Assuming that your misogynistic hypothesis is correct and that the OP could be a female, I fail to see how this will direct the unfortunate, and overheated,car owner, male or female, to a suitable technical establishment.
Please clarify.
Having attempted to decrypt your ill-informed synopsis, I fail to see how an under- performing air con can be indicative and causative towards a "Ruined Motor" , by which one assumes you wish to say, "car engine".

Ill informed huh? SO this is a challenge or something? You should read it again, the underperforming part I mentioned was the cooling fan. The cooling fan which may not be doing its designed purpose, to cool. The cooling fan assembly is designed to suck air through the radiator and condenser, removing the heat from both of them. If the cooling fan does not work the car will overheat, destroying the motor AND it will not allow the AC system to be most effective. And excuse me, at 1.3L that is not an engine. The Terios is as I said, a lawn tractor with windows.
Any other questions? Misogyny? That would require me to say something disrespectful about the other gender, which you dont have in that post. Unless you are offended by "hahahaha". In that case, hahahaha.

It is just an general idea of how Air conditioning works. You dont have to understand it, all you need to know is "es no cold aqui". Thats all. You have to know the system to understand what are the frequent problems and how they interact with each other and how to resolve them.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I read that whole thing and just figured out you re a woman. HAhahahahahahahaahaaahahahaha! Wow, it was so apparent I just never saw it until I read that right here. Geesh!

Yea yea anyway, Diahatsu Terios, is a Toyota mini-car. A real lawn tractor. 1.3L 4cyl with 58-90 hp depending on market. It didnt dawn on you this thing was a piece of dung before you got it? Traded in a Civic? What was wrong with that one? Fan clutch? You no has. Electronic fan bolted to the radiator? You has that. Ok, you spun the blades on the PLASTIC FAN? It moved? Good. That tells you its not seized. But you need to know if its coming on.

Generic pictures to demonstrate my point:

a. Cooling Fan Assembly
(382-55001-100)_2003_mini_cooper_cooper_radiator_cooling_fan_assembly.jpg

b. Fan clutch
clutch_fan.jpg

c. AC compressor-clutch is the black part driven by the belt.
AC_compressor_Air_Conditioning_Compressor-Car_A_C.jpg

Now that you know what the compressor looks like, and that the fan isnt seized. Start the car up, turn on the AC and see if the clutch on the compressor moves with the belt. If so, count the cycling time between the clutch start/stop. Just watch it, click/clack, click clack and get a time frame for it(seconds on/seconds off). Quick cycling time represents low refrigerant charge. No cycling time means the charge is too low to start the compressor. Long cycling time means adequate charge.

Cooling Fan: has 2 speeds, low, to be used during normal operation and high to be used with the AC. Additionally there is an AC relay which controls fan speed, along with the coolant temperature switch. But you already went through 1 motor so far for some coolant issue and who knows what they replaced when they changed this tiny motor. You cant miss it when its on high because its just like a house fan on high. I dont know where the fuse panel is on this car, but there should be like a 30-40 Amp fuse in the fan circuit. If you can find it and which fuse it is, check to see if its blown.
Fan clutches are only on mechanical fans which are driven by the motor, most often the water pump pulley. Small engines dont tend to have this equipment.

I m thinking your problem is that cooling fan set-up. I dont know if the fan is faulty or just not receiving the signal to turn on. You have to fault trace there, a. is the circuit complete(fuses, wiring harness and power module), b. does it come on, both speeds, c. is power coming to the fan module and not the fan motor or not the module at all? The AC problem sounds like you re not getting enough air past the condenser(the radiator like device, IN FRONT, of the radiator) to effect the heat transfer. Which is why you get cold for a very brief period and then it blows hot. The compressor send the excited refrigerant under pressure to the condenser to absorb the relatively colder outside air in front of the car from the top to the bottom. The colder refrigerant leaves the condenser at the bottom(condensed but still under pressure) and runs through an dispersion mechanism into the evaporator(which is inside the car mounted in front of the blower motor fan behind the dash). This blower motor blows air past the evaporator where the refrigerant is no longer under pressure but in a gaseous state. The outside air as it travels through the evap becomes cold and leaves the plenum and "conditions the air" in the car/house, or freezer or refrigerator, its all the same principle. Then the gas goes through a dessicant(drying agent) to remove water and then back to the compressor to continue the cycle. Which may also be why you blew the motor the car came with because the fan didnt turn on and the guy you got it from knew this. And the car ran hot in the city(with the AC on) with no airflow coming through the radiator. And you cracked the block and seized the motor.

Find out if the fan works before you do anything. Because if it doesnt you re going to ruin another motor.

Wow. Now I know more about AC than I did yesterday and I'm beginning to understand your chippiness. You don't by any chance have a little winky that embarasses you do you?

Well the least I can do is share something I know that you don't.

How to make a contraction:

Example: do not

Shove the words together: donot

Replace the letter you want to drop with an apostrophe (that's the little thingy to the left of the enter key) don't

Carry on ni?a.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Getting back to my original post, does anybody with a fully formed adult personality know a reliable competent shop in Santo Domingo preferably with diagnostic equipment that can deal with AC problems?

Thanks to those who have already addressed my original question.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Wow. Now I know more about AC than I did yesterday and I'm beginning to understand your chippiness. You don't by any chance have a little winky that embarasses you do you?

Well the least I can do is share something I know that you don't.

How to make a contraction:

Example: do not

Shove the words together: donot

Replace the letter you want to drop with an apostrophe (that's the little thingy to the left of the enter key) don't

Carry on ni?a.

I dont need no stinkin posterphees. Well, maybe for the stinkin'. Would you tell Jack Kerouack to use stinkin' posterphees? Would you tell Prince to use correct grammar? O, I HEART 2 C that. Would you tell Englebert Humperbunk that what the world needs now...is love, sweet love? Its the only thing, that we ve got too little of.

Whats a winky? Is it like a donkey with narcolepsy or something?

Besides only Commies use contractions, everyone knows that. Didnt you?

2 more points :
a.the faulty cooling fan could have been the cause of your transmission failure, and
b. shroud.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
There is a shroud which houses the fan. If the shroud is missing, cracked, or otherwise damaged, there will be a lack of airflow through the radiator. The shrouds purpose is to create a vortex of air through the center of the radiator in the area encompassed by the fan. It other words it s like a container for the fan to help it suck air through. It is the black plastic part around the fan in the illustration I posted.

And before I get tested on this, the reason why a transmission can fail in this arrangement is because the transmission cooling lines run into the radiator(another heat transfer equation). And if the fan is not on the radiator is not purging the heat from the antifreeze then everything cooks.

To you, this information may be worthless but when you bring it to this guy and the first thing out of his face is 25,000 pesos for a new compressor, you would like to know that he does know what he is talking about. And can at least explain it to you in some intelligible fashion. Unless you got one of the money growing trees in your patio?

acmike

Jan 11, 2005

The OP is VERY attractive! I am sure that if the OP walked into any repair shop the mechanics would drop everything to help. Wear your short shorts OP. You look great in those.

Reactions: Celt202

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
There is a shroud which houses the fan. If the shroud is missing, cracked, or otherwise damaged, there will be a lack of airflow through the radiator. The shrouds purpose is to create a vortex of air through the center of the radiator in the area encompassed by the fan. It other words it s like a container for the fan to help it suck air through. It is the black plastic part around the fan in the illustration I posted.

And before I get tested on this, the reason why a transmission can fail in this arrangement is because the transmission cooling lines run into the radiator(another heat transfer equation). And if the fan is not on the radiator is not purging the heat from the antifreeze then everything cooks.

To you, this information may be worthless but when you bring it to this guy and the first thing out of his face is 25,000 pesos for a new compressor, you would like to know that he does know what he is talking about. And can at least explain it to you in some intelligible fashion. Unless you got one of the money growing trees in your patio?

That's a useful post, to the point and no drama.

The OP is VERY attractive! I am sure that if the OP walked into any repair shop the mechanics would drop everything to help. Wear your short shorts OP. You look great in those.

Haha... Mikey make the joke.

I will check out Auto Aire Jimenez and give a report back.

I'm also having trouble with the flux capacitor on my Delorean but I'll start another thread for that.