Availability of vegetable plants and seeds in DR

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I never ate okra until I married a Dominican [in the US it seems to be a southern thing], and now I love it. Wash it, cut off the ends, then cut them into pieces about 1/2" thick. Saute onions [I like a lot of them] and as soon as they become opaque add the okra and saute until soft/cooked [a lid helps]. My mother-in-law adds a couple of beaten eggs to bind it all together, but I like it both ways, with and without the egg. Last week we bought a huge bag of okra from a farm stand between Palenque & Najayo beaches for 30 pesos, it was so good. Here at home in NJ I just saw it at a discount produce store for $3.79 a pound!!!

Thanks for that. I have always wondered how to cook it. And you promise it won't go slimy??????????

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks for that. I have always wondered how to cook it. And you promise it won't go slimy??????????

If you add the eggs it has a bit of a slimy look to it. But if you do the onions first and don't cover the pan while you're cooking the okra it stays crispier and no slime. Now I want some....!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
OK, very interesting thread. Does anybody know where (if anywhere) it is possible to get young tomato plants in Santiago?

If you can't find them, try starting them from seed, it's very easy. We've had our best luck in DR with Italian Plum Tomatoes, nice and meaty for cooking and eating and hold up better than the beefsteak or other round tomatoes.