Avoiding paying for overstay?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
i think that you are talking about extending the tourist card. i do not know if it is possible anymore but even if yes, they still charge money for it so no point in doing it. here's an older thread (quoting old prices) about it:
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/131237-Tourist-Card-Extension

go directly to post 10:

Thank you dv8!

I knew I was not totally off with this question, even went to the migracion site but could not locate the information.

Of course, this is not useful if you have already overstayed, but good to know anyway...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you're welcome.

as you can see it was not meant to avoid the fee but rather to stay legal.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
1. Book a round trip flight from the city you are returning to, departing the DR on the day you want to fly, with less than 30 daysbetween the two flights.

2. Print the itinerary, then cancel the flight (cancellations within 24 hrs are free)

3. Rebook a one way flight from the DR, on the exact same flight you had as the round trip

4. Go to the police station, and report your passport stolen. Get a police report

5. Go to the consulate, and get a new passport

When you leave, with your new passport, tell immigration that your passport was stolen while you were here, show them the police report and the round trip itinerary you printed from your now cancelled flight.

The USA passport will only cost $134.00, so pay the darn fee.!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The link I posted states that the Tourist card can be extended.

UK government advice as of today on extending the tourist card on the Foreign Office website.......

Visas

All visitors need a tourist card to enter the Dominican Republic. You can get a tourist card before travel from the Embassy of the Dominican Republic in London , or on arrival at the airport at a cost of US$10 or equivalent. The Dominican Republic Embassy website has more information.

Tourist cards are initially valid for a 30-day stay but can be extended by paying for an extension when you leave the country.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Didn't CCCCCCCCCCC claim he didn't pay the fee flying out of SD?

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
The link I posted states that the Tourist card can be extended.

Has anyone successfully done this? I don't think so. The only story I've heard is that someone tried to extend it, and they were told to pay the fee at the airport.

All of the sites, from Migracion and the sites from the consulates all over the world say different things. Some are true, some are false, some are both and neither.

It's like the shell game with no shell.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The USA passport will only cost $134.00, so pay the darn fee.!

The 'new passport routine' used by some posters would appear cost effective after an 18 months overstay assuming some postal charges involved in getting passport to you. (fee to 12 to 18 months is 6500rd at present)

Clears the slate too for persons who have not left since May 2015.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
The 'new passport routine' used by some posters would appear cost effective after an 18 months overstay assuming some postal charges involved in getting passport to you. (fee to 12 to 18 months is 6500rd at present)

Clears the slate too for persons who have not left since May 2015.

I am not totally adverse to telling a bit of a lie, but when it is said to a government official in his/her official as said governmet official it is into perjury, and I am scared to go that far myself. SO if losing your passport and reporting it stolen and then buying a new one for $134,00 and then pretending you arrove between when you threw away your old passport and when the new one became effective is your thing, go for it. Worked for CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC apparently, or so I understand was his story. ANd a modified version worked for me. But I didn't throw away a perfectly good passport just to avoid said fees.
Der Fish

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

Thanks, but unless I?m blind, there is absolutely no information behind that link, only the reference to the respective law (no, I did not have time to research what the law says) and the requirements to apply, but no actual information as to what I am applying for. Then again, I did not do any extensive research.

The link SantiagoDR posted was really good, thanks for that as well.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Thanks, but unless I?m blind, there is absolutely no information behind that link, only the reference to the respective law (no, I did not have time to research what the law says) and the requirements to apply, but no actual information as to what I am applying for. Then again, I did not do any extensive research.

Yes they have removed some words that you provide the information below to DGM

Turista

a) Formulario debidamente llenado y firmado

b) Pasaporte con vigencia m?nima de seis (6) meses a partir de la prorroga.

c) 2 Copia de la carita del pasaporte donde est?n los datos personales.

d) 2 Copia de la ?ltima entrada al pa?s.

e) Certificado m?dico expedido por un medico autorizado con su debido exequ?tur.

f) El pago de los derechos previstos

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

That link is from the DGII (the tax department) and I believe from 2010.

Fact is that what drSix wrote in post #29 is spot on....

All of the sites, from Migracion and the sites from the consulates all over the world say different things. Some are true, some are false, some are both and neither.

It's like the shell game with no shell.

It's a shambolic mess and you rely on the Tax Ministry to provide you with best available current information on the Tourist card which is legislated for under Immigration Laws which are the basis for the DGTT operations and they state nothing other than references within the law and regulations.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
The overstay fee is a necessary function of government. pay your share, cheapskate! and do not ever complain about illegal immigration, anywhere.

I think this has been discussed, but could not find easily any useful threads, so sorry, asking again:

If someone leaves the country after overstaying the tourist "visa", was there an option to do something somewhere (immigration?) in order to be able to pay less (or pay nothing) than the table (that has been posted many times) says?

Could be that nothing of the sort is even possible, but I do recall some people talking about this. And not talking about any loopholes etc. but real procedures...

Thanks in advance for any tips!

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The overstay fee is a necessary function of government. pay your share, cheapskate! and do not ever complain about illegal immigration, anywhere.

If you overstay and they have a legal fee that applies when you leave and you do pay that fee when you leave (remember, you do leave).....it that considered illegal immigration?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Yes they have removed some words that you provide the information below to DGM

Turista

a) Formulario debidamente llenado y firmado

b) Pasaporte con vigencia m?nima de seis (6) meses a partir de la prorroga.

c) 2 Copia de la carita del pasaporte donde est?n los datos personales.

d) 2 Copia de la ?ltima entrada al pa?s.

e) Certificado m?dico expedido por un medico autorizado con su debido exequ?tur.

f) El pago de los derechos previstos

Yes, this is there, but I was referring to information such as what dv8 posted from another thread (procedure, cost, what you get and when etc.).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i think he explained that he was asking on behalf of someone else.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
while posed in the third person (if someone leaves) I inferred he was referring to himself. nevertheless, anyone should feel it a privilege to pay their fair share, especially when coming from rich countries headed to poor countries.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
If you overstay and they have a legal fee that applies when you leave and you do pay that fee when you leave (remember, you do leave).....it that considered illegal immigration?

Yes and no. immigration implies a desire to stay where you are headed. the point regarding illegal immigration as a broadly used, inaccurate, hot button issue that everyone understands...Yes being in a country without authorization is an "illegal immigrant" in the common parlance of the day. Perhaps not as a legal term. but commonly understood.