Backwards Windows

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
my favorite is the backwards plumbing which really does not matter much as there is never much hot water anyway. Doors open wrong, windows backward is very common. If its possible to do it wrong it will be that way from time to time. I still have a hard time getting used to steps of a different height. We added an apartment to my wife's house in Villa on the second floor. The stairs were done in slick tile. How anyone has not gotten killed is beyond me. Its really steep and the steps are slick as snot. In the rain its especially bad. I never go up as I do not want any part of the stairs. Dominicans get used to this stuff and do not seem to even notice it.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
it was probably raining the day they installed the windows, and the workers didn't want to stand in the rain and install them from the outside.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't know what you guys are on about hot water. i have hot water. very hot, even. i take hot showers daily.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Yup,lots of that here in dr , I ve got locks that were put in upside down, Ive got taps where blue is hot water and red cold.....I ve also got a toilet in the guest house/outside kitchen/laundry that locks from the outside, Ive got light switches behind the door ...... got to love here in dr

Hah.........Then there is the hotel (will remain nameless) in PUJ that realized on inauguration that all the showers in the rooms had the drain installed on the high point of the floor so the water couldn't drain.............As per usual all the beautiful tiles and what not had to be dug up and the brand new ended up looking like sh1t.
It was widely accepted that this was another example of some good old fashioned Haitian ingenuity.......As these were the workers in the main on all of these construction sites.
Having said all that though, I have to admit that even here at my place in a very cosmopolitan city in a 1st world country, all my electrical outlets have been installed upside down..........and it took me forever before I even noticed.:classic:

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
One thing about Dominican help, they use a hellish amount of water to mop the floor, I have even encountered my garden hose in the house running full bore while she tries to sweep out the water via patio doors etc. I bought one of those yellow industrial mop things which holds the water, and squeezes the mop dry, returning the water into the bucket, is it used......never even been installed, preference given to wringing a filthy mop head by hand. And of course the humidity as the house is drying out later, it is like being in a Thai steam room (maybe that is over the top and wishful thinking on my part).

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
When our condos were built the windows were installed differently in almost every apartment. All common sense was literally thrown out the window. In my walk in shower the window opens in towards the shower head and not towards the back of the shower stall as it should be. I end up taking the window off its hinges and leave it off. The screen is all I need unless we get a cold front.

LTSteve

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There Is A VERY Simple, AND Important Security Reason For "Backward Instalation"!

Dominicans believe that if you install windows, "Backwards", you will be able to see "OUT", but no one will be able to see "IN"!
Same for doors.
You will be able to get "OUT", but thieves will not be able to get "IN"!
It's in the Dominican Builders Guide!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
My favorite construction question, "What Goes Up The "Chiminea" DOWN, but won't go Down The "Chiminea" UP? is answered in chapter 5!
( I used "Chiminea", because I can't spell "Chimney") or did I just get it correct?
"Blind Squirrel" at work here!!!!