Bad Publicity for Lifestyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We went to Lifestyles once, a long time ago when Cheap Caribbean used to run ridiculous deals. The sales guy tormented us, he showed up at our table during meals, at the pool, etc. The room was good, food meh. I don’t drink, but Mr AE didn’t like the beer (watery, not Presidente as claimed) or booze.
We’ve never gone back, that year we’d driven up to attend a birthday party in Sosua. The next time, we stayed right in Sosua and were much happier.

PS. On our last day there, we met a couple from NJ and we got to talking about the sales staff. They told us they went there frequently, and all we had to do was give the sales guy $20 on first day and tell him to leave us alone.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
It is amazing how they are still selling it though. One of my staff was working in Melia in Punta Cana and another was working in Lifestyles, both selling time-share, working in a huge team. In Europe the law says that you have to have 14 days after signing the contract to consider it, and you cannot ask for an upfront payment until this 14 days is over. And banks and credit card companies tend to insist that you've had independent legal advice. It's a real shame that the US and Canadian governments don't do the same.

I personally went to a timeshare sales event in New York once and found it was tantamount to fraud, the math they were using to sell their product was very very dodgy.
"fraud" is exactly what it is. The number of attorneys on the east coast (U.S) advertising to get you out of your time share contract is a big indication what a problem it is. They know their target market. People that play the lottery every day, lease expensive cars, travel to destinations like Vegas, Daytona beach and Cancun. If they have a good union job with a steady income and cant crunch numbers they are prime targets. They are targeted via their spending habits from marketing firms. Everyone has seen the sales reps, handsome men, pretty girls with excellent English skills. Rip off !!

drisforme

May 28, 2016
Here it's good publicity based on personal experience :)
Went to the lifestyle restaurant in Cabarete located on the third floor.
It's opened to all.
Food was really excellent ...Tempura ,noddles, curry ,

Excellent service ... Added in my list with Tuva and Bliss... at Cabarete

Reactions: cavok

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
Here it's good publicity based on personal experience :)
Went to the lifestyle restaurant in Cabarete located on the third floor.
It's opened to all.
Food was really excellent ...Tempura ,noddles, curry ,

Excellent service ... Added in my list with Tuva and Bliss... at Cabarete
do you mean anybody can eat there ? what were the prices like?

drisforme

May 28, 2016
do you mean anybody can eat there ? what were the prices like?
Yes, anybody can eat there.For 2 people ,it was around $50 ,coktails ,two great miso soups ,one curry with lamb , noddles and veggies tempora and we share one desert ...

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
People that only travel 1 time a year is not worth to sign for time share, Time share is good for people that can travel almost every month that can take advantage of the deals and pick up and is able to go where is the avilables rooms because also you are flexible for dates to travel. I have a friend that he has timeshare, his job let him travel and work from home (wherever he is with good internet connection is home). If your life style do not fit on that then become into a fraud.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
People that only travel 1 time a year is not worth to sign for time share, Time share is good for people that can travel almost every month that can take advantage of the deals and pick up and is able to go where is the avilables rooms because also you are flexible for dates to travel. I have a friend that he has timeshare, his job let him travel and work from home (wherever he is with good internet connection is home). If your life style do not fit on that then become into a fraud.

But even if you can be there all the time, it's still a con especially in today's market. In addition to spending maybe US$ 50,000 on the timeshare (and maybe a lot more), you have to pay a) a Room fee per week and b) an all-inclusive rate per night. This link shows their rates in 2019 (you have to download the spreadsheet):

For example, a Presidential Suite with 1 bedroom is US$ 800 per week room fee, plus US$ 100 per person (both are mandatory). So for a couple we're looking at an EXTRA US$ 2,200 per week, that's on top of the US$ 50,000 you spent to buy the timeshare. That's US$ 314 per night. I can't think of many hotels in Puerto Plata that would charge you that rate per night, even if you ignore the US$ 50,000 that you've already paid. Bear in mind that a "Presidential Suite" is basically a big hotel room, it's not got a private pool or anything like that.

Reactions: Gadfly
Status
Not open for further replies.