Banco Popular Visa card vulnerable too it seems....

Sep 4, 2012
"These new Visa cards do not require pin, and do not require ID check as well"

The Visa TOS condone and advocate for merchants to do exactly that, it isn't required at least in the USA and since these cards are backed by VISA, probable the same should hold true but again, is the DR.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Sorry about the problem, Shirley. Frustrating, I know, been there.

You made me chuckle with yet another endearing classic Brit term (I guess): "billy do." :classic: Love it!

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
No cash transaction with Visa? I take out cash pesos with my BofA visa debit card all the time, without any problem, or do you mean another kind of transaction?

I only know what my bank has done,yours may be different.This was a message from them in May,and included several countries,including jamaica,vietnam,and several eastern european countries.
Bob

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sorry about the problem, Shirley. Frustrating, I know, been there.

You made me chuckle with yet another endearing classic Brit term (I guess): "billy do." :classic: Love it!

billet doux......literal translation is love letter......

they don't say that in Georgia ????:cross-eye

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Just checked my BPoP account online and was pleasantly surprised to see that each of the 7 fraudulent transactions I reported on Thursday have been reversed and the money is back in my account. Pretty good service I would say.

There were two more transactions which appeared over the weekend where my card was used in Burger King (for the 3rd time!) and also La Sirena in POP - the card has now been totally cancelled and a new one issued but I am recommended to have an international one which is better security-wise (no idea why) and that will be ready for me to collect in 3 days time as it has to come from the Capital.

Thumbs up to Banco Popular, impressive customer service!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
billet doux......literal translation is love letter......

they don't say that in Georgia ????:cross-eye
Sounds French.

We don't do French in GA. ;)

Except fries.

We say "check", as in "Bubba, this here check has 14 Budweisers on it. You know them was PBR's..."

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
I would never use foreign credit cards in the DR, by the time you pay the FOREX fees and add the card cloning fraud risk, they are not worth it even if you get points.

Which Dominican credit cards give you reward points?

Banco Popular US$ Credit card gives 1 point for every spend US$. Banco Popular Peso Credit card gives the same on peso

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
i do not recommend to use your points for plane tickets, especially long haul. it costs a lot of points to get a ticket to europe and they only cover the ticket itself. you still have to pay the taxes. which, on european flights, come to 50% of the total. granted, half price is not bad but it does not really pay off money wise. also, when we tried to book a flight within europe recently we were told only business class was available for this particular flight. so they may have a reduced capacity/availability of offers.

the hotels covered, however, form a long list. you can pass a weekend in AI in DR but you can also stay in a hotel in europe or america.
We gain about 90000 miles a year makes 3 trips to Miami from Santiago. Each trip cost 30000 miles, save 250 $ a trip, total 750 $ a year, better then debit who gives nothing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, the tickets to the states are cheaper. in points and in money :)

but we do not fly to USA, which is why i say long haul. last time we bought the ticket with miles it was something like 56,000 miles plus 600 dollars. ufff... better than 1200 dollars, admittedly, but still a lot of money and a lot of points.
this year we were quoted something like 78,000 to go to europe. i know it depend on where you fly to and when but damn. :(

flights to the states? good deal from popular. flights to europe? not so much, sadly :(

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have used frequent flier points for years to get airline tickets, especially the longer distance flights. It has worked out well for me. Best to book as far ahead as possible to minimize the amount of points used.