Banco Popular

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
All of these posts about having to deal with the branch where you opened your account have me wondering..........

Our accounts were opened with BHD at a branch in Santo Domingo that has been closed for several years. We've withdrawn dollars from the account all over DR, Cabarete, San Cristobal, Boca Chica, Santo Domingo, etc.

I wonder if we need to do something to officially have a designated branch????

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
All of these posts about having to deal with the branch where you opened your account have me wondering..........

Our accounts were opened with BHD at a branch in Santo Domingo that has been closed for several years. We've withdrawn dollars from the account all over DR, Cabarete, San Cristobal, Boca Chica, Santo Domingo, etc.

I wonder if we need to do something to officially have a designated branch????

With BHD it does not matter which branch you go to. I use them and withdraw from any branch, and not small amounts either.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
With BHD it does not matter which branch you go to. I use them and withdraw from any branch, and not small amounts either.

Would you recommend BHD for a person with a Cedula and Passport? Basically a foreign account.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Would you recommend BHD for a person with a Cedula and Passport? Basically a foreign account.

I'm sure sky will answer, but I'll throw my two-pesos in.  We've had both dollar and peso accounts with BHD for a long time, opened with my passport and Mr AE cedula. Never trouble finding a branch, always have dollars available when we want them, we'd recommend. One time we had a problem with one of their ATM machines, resolved quickly.  Solid bank.  I deposit checks from USA into our dollar account, and can usually withdraw in a couple of weeks.  

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
May I ask what branch of Popular did your problem start. Here in Santiago the bank works like clockwork for me and I transfer large sums in and out monthly. My local branch is managed by my next door neighbour's son but managers are moved around.

Would anyone out there care to comment on Banco BHD Leon and foreign Passport with Cedula accounts? Possible? Good? Bad? Internet Banking service, good or bad?

egonvw

Jan 12, 2011
went through this about 6 month ago. same problem with bp, new passport, old one gone.
however, after a few days back and forth they accepted the copy which i had certified by a lawyer. received my token, new debit card and all is fine now. it took a while.
in regards to teller service, i never had any problems. showed my old passport and debit card and could deposit, change us$ or make withdrawals in pesos or us$.
never had any problems in juan dolio, spm, or at bp ole by the airport.  

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
May I ask what branch of Popular did your problem start. Here in Santiago the bank works like clockwork for me and I transfer large sums in and out monthly. My local branch is managed by my next door neighbour's son but managers are moved around.

Branch in Juan Dolio, new Juan Dolio to be more exact.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Wow what an interesting story. May have to get that book.

I got one for ya. I applied for a "family credit card" at IKEA when they opened.

They called me last week to tell me I was approved and the card was ready to pick up.

When I deal with my bank manager, she always tells me I can have whatever credit card they have available. When I get approached by the credit girls in supermarkets, I'll fill out an application if she's cute, but I always get refused anyway

Pretty interesting seeing that I have perfect credit here and in the states.

All depends on who you know. That's why I keep telling folks "Get to know you're manager"

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Well update no e mail answer from Banco Popular. I guess they figure I closed the account so I do not deserve an answer.

:eek:gre:

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
Years ago I had money in a Dominican bank and needed money in USA. I contacted the bank and was told that I could fax them a signed withdrawal letter and they would wire the money to my account in USA. Everything worked. Maybe you can try something like that, at least to get your money back. I am working with Banco Santa Cruz now, and Alaver. There is not much to do except machine withdrawals and teller window deposits and withdrawals. I mention BSC because when I was opening it Progreso told me it would be two days before they could open an account for me and BSC, one day. By the way, opening an account can be abrir, but a cooler vocabulary word is aperturar.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
A week ago while trying to retrieve my ATM card which was eaten by the Popular machine in Sosua, I left without my cedula, they forgot it in the copier. That experience was an hour of mindless events. They could find my account with my cedula. It was an old expired one so not a big deal. Anyway, everday for a week I would receive a call from them telling me to come pickup my card. I kept procrastinating (its expired, i have a new one) because I wasnt ready for another time wasting experience at good ol banco Popular. I told the girl I really dont have the time to waste during their hours of operation. She promised me it would be at the from kiosk when you enter the bank and I dont need to wait in line. I said I dont believe it! Today after the gym I go there, sure enough I waited 10 minutes while the kiosk counter girl finished her personal call with Fausto (the tigre from the barrio). I asked for my cedula providing additional ID and explained how it should be waiting for me in the drawer. It wasnt and after multiple persons scrambled around they couldnt find it. The DR service industry in a nutshell, so predictable! Tweedle dee and tweedle dumb were both working!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
The problem with Banco Santa Cruz is that there are only two branches in Santiago. If you want ease of banking, there are definitely banks with more access. Progreso was just acquired by Scotia Bank, so it'll be interesting to see what that does for both of their services. Popular is a **** show - they have a list of requirements to open a savings account as a foreigner that rivals the process to become a citizen here. The university had to fight for me to get a payroll account with Popular because they wanted me to do the US process eventhough I'm a dominican citizen (which included getting a letter from my bank in the states.... except my account in the states isn't "valid" for them since I do'nt actually use it).

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Banco Santa Cruz definitely needs more branches - one in POP would be nice as well as ATMs at La Sirena and Jumbo.
If they want to grown they need more Points Of Presence - why one in POP would be required :D