Baninter verdict in real time

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Did anyone catch the Alvarez Renta sentence? I heard ten years but then thought I'd confused it with Ramon Baez Figueroa.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
10 years for him as well, according to Clave Digital. What he is questioning is how can he have laundered money on behalf of the bank when the bank executives were absolved?

I'm going to sign off now, I had no idea this was going to be a five-hour marathon, but feel free to discuss, and how about launching a prisoners' sudden medical complaint syndrome sweepstake?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Did anyone catch the Alvarez Renta sentence? I heard ten years but then thought I'd confused it with Ramon Baez Figueroa.

10 years in jail and a RD$265,000 fine.

After appeal and good conduct, he will be lucky to see a few months inside a jail cell.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Can you help me out here?

I arrived just after this collapse- although people were still reeling. I thought there was another case/s pending as well, about the government having backed more of the deposits than it was supposed to have? I saw in the paper, don't remember which one- that a couple of hold up guys who walked into a bank got between 10-20 years on just about the same day! Does this country have any sweet "white collar" prisons like the US does (of course, we have a MAJOR prison industry having now a larger percentage of our population under lock and key than Stalin did). What are the odds that this guy will do any time? Did the Court really say that these "practices" went on in other banks or was that the defense attorney. Thanks - I feel like i came in on a very long running telenovella.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I arrived just after this collapse- although people were still reeling. I thought there was another case/s pending as well, about the government having backed more of the deposits than it was supposed to have?
I haven't heard about any case pending, but the previous government was severely criticised for paying back the depositors at the entire country's expense.

I saw in the paper, don't remember which one- that a couple of hold up guys who walked into a bank got between 10-20 years on just about the same day!
Again, didn't hear that but it wouldn't surprise me. There was a judge somewhere in the south a couple of years ago who was handing out long sentences for petty theft - the case that got the press coverage was some poor wretch who stole a salami and got a really long jail term.

Does this country have any sweet "white collar" prisons like the US does (of course, we have a MAJOR prison industry having now a larger percentage of our population under lock and key than Stalin did).
Within the normal prisons, if you or your family have the cash and the clout, you can live fairly comfortably - typically, wealthy prisoners have air-conditioned cells with all the mod cons and comforts. See posts by Golo at the time of the Baninter collapse where he describes the scene at Najayo.

What are the odds that this guy will do any time?
He might do a token stint but not 10 years.

Did the Court really say that these "practices" went on in other banks or was that the defense attorney.
That was the defence claim, not sure now if it was acknowledged by the court in the case summary.

Thanks - I feel like i came in on a very long running telenovella.
De nada :)