Bank of Santa Cruz.

Markwilltravel

Delicious are the vanities that consume us.
Jan 2, 2022
Canada
After arriving back in Canada, been back around a week, I obviously fell prey to a card reader at Bank of Santa Cruz Pedro Clisante 25 ATM.
Mega attempts to use my card info at grocery stores, liquor stores etc. All failed so I'm not out anything.
Just a heads up to be wary and bring cash only! I will.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
After arriving back in Canada, been back around a week, I obviously fell prey to a card reader at Bank of Santa Cruz Pedro Clisante 25 ATM.
Mega attempts to use my card info at grocery stores, liquor stores etc. All failed so I'm not out anything.
Where in the DR was the cloned card being used in these locations?

Markwilltravel

Delicious are the vanities that consume us.
Jan 2, 2022
Canada
Hi Cavok.
Yes I did! Perhaps I should have been clearer, but fraudulent charges didn't appear after I had been home a week!
I will always bring cards for emergencies, but will just use cash for spending money now on.
I don't know how to identify a card reader installed on a ATM, scanning the machine over before I use it , looking for physical evidence of one is a suspicious act in itself with a guard sitting there with a rusty shotgun.
Anyways a great holiday and thanks for your reply.
Mark
Where in the DR was the cloned card being used in these locations?
Hello Bermuda

I only used my card at the ATM while on holiday.

Mastercard said a copy of my card was made at the ATM and the person attempted purchases at Supermercado (big one) and the liquor store, the big one on the corner opposite the Bank of Santa Cruz.
Hope that helps.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The card readers can be hard to detect, but I think they need to put a small camera above somewhere to capture you entering your pin number. The ATM's at banks are usually the safest ones to use since there is a security guard sitting there somewhere close by.

Reactions: BermudaRum
Oct 19, 2015
canada
I got Santa Cruz Visa / Debit. mine even worked in Tim Hortons Oshawa, ON debit tap and go. I have Scotiabank in Canada, but the visa does not work everywhere here. I withdraw cash at the ATM and deposit into Santa Cruz. That works for me !

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Bank of Santo Cruz will open your account same day.
Bank of Santa Cruz has excellent exchange rates

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In theory Visa and Mastercard will work anywhere in the world. Depending upon the issuer of either card, you may need to notify them if you intend to use them in a country outside of where they are issued.

As for using them in the DR, I avoid that like the plague.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In theory Visa and Mastercard will work anywhere in the world. Depending upon the issuer of either card, you may need to notify them if you intend to use them in a country outside of where they are issued.

Same. We notify our banks before we leave, but almost never use them. Not debit or credit. Too many cards “compromised” years ago when we rented cars for extended periods (before we shipped our car down).

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-

Same. We notify our banks before we leave, but almost never use them. Not debit or credit. Too many cards “compromised” years ago when we rented cars for extended periods (before we shipped our car down).
My experiences differ.
I used to burn up my debt card (until I figured out using a debt card is a bad financial move).
I still burn up my credit card here.
All fraudulent charges on a credit card are covered.
The only time I have ever had a credit card compromised is the United States of America.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My experiences differ.
I used to burn up my debt card (until I figured out using a debt card is a bad financial move).
The only time I have ever had a credit card compromised is the United States of America.

I have never used debit cards in my life.
I have only had problems with credit cards three times and all in the DR.
Hence why I no longer use them here.
None of those times was it because of use in ATM machines.

(Back when I had the problems, I was told it was because the cards were being cloned in the
clearing houses. Perhaps that problem no longer exists and just the card scanners at ATMs are the
occasional issue)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My experiences differ.
Not True.

My wife had a credit card with Banreservas. We were on vacation in the USA when the card was used in Santiago.
Banreservas refused to refund the charges to her account. There was no recourse.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I have never used debit cards in my life.
I have only had problems with credit cards three times and all in the DR.
Hence why I no longer use them here.
None of those times was it because of use in ATM machines.
I have had my Debt/ATM card snatched twice here in the Dominican Republic.
Both times my travel advisory was in force.
My issuer said it was an ATM error.
With the exception of denials I have never had a problem with a debt/ATM or Credit Card in the Dominican Republic.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Not True.

My wife had a credit card with Banreservas. We were on vacation in the USA when the card was used in Santiago.
Banreservas refused to refund the charges to her account. There was no recourse.
Better read the fine print in the contract when the card is issued next time brother.
My credit cards issued by banks in the United States of America have fraud protection.
I have never had a credit card issued in the Dominican Republic.
And I never will.

Not true for credit cards issued in the Dominican Republic...
I don't know because I don't have one.
And I admit I should have been more precise in my use of language.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Better read the fine print in the contract when the card is issued next time brother.
My credit cards issued by banks in the United States of America have fraud protection.
I have never had a credit card issued in the Dominican Republic.
And I never will.

Not true for credit cards issued in the Dominican Republic...
I don't know because I don't have one.
And I admit I should have been more precise in my use of language.
No need to repeat the same mistake. The Bank said she was covered. They lied.
Credit cards will not be used in the DR by either of us unless there is an emergency.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
No need to repeat the same mistake. The Bank said she was covered. They lied.
Credit cards will not be used in the DR by either of us unless there is an emergency.
I am not sure of the mistake you are referring.
I have never one of my credit or debt/ATM cards compromised in the Dominican Republic.
When they were compromised in the United States of America the issuing bank covered every penny.

But really it is chump change.
What is serious when when you are a victim of identity theft.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am not sure of the mistake you are referring.
I have never one of my credit or debt/ATM cards compromised in the Dominican Republic.
When they were compromised in the United States of America the issuing bank covered every penny.

But really it is chump change.
What is serious when when you are a victim of identity theft.
The error was being charged for a fraudulent charge by Banreservas which was not refunded.
No need to get another card here.

The times my US cards were cloned in the DR, I did eventually get that money back.

I have no idea what the foreign exchange fees and exchange rates would be at this time if I used my US credit cards here.
I might never find that out unless I need to us them in an emergency.

I have been the victim of Identity theft two times (in the USA) since I moved to the DR.
It was annoying.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas