Bank to bank transfer limit.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
They are not stupid, even if you think so, it is pretty darn obvious what you are doing by having transactions like that, if you go for that I would recommend at least 3 weeks between them, still over some months that will raise all the flags, there are banks like Banco Leon that actually will stop the wire for $9,500 so it is in fact bellow the limit, the LAW forces then to comply with anything above $10,000 which is the same amount that you have to declare both on the US and DR and virtually any country in the world while going through customs, the law does not say anything as far as I know that forbids them from moving funds bellow that amount...

And what exactly am I doing here, that is so obvious? Who is to say I am not drawing bi-weekly instalments of 8K of my annual 200,000 salary? Stupid or not, I know these people are super lazy and generally won't do a yota above what's absolutely required and in 99.999% of cases they will pass through anything below 10K and hold anything above 10K.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
And what exactly am I doing here, that is so obvious? Who is to say I am not drawing bi-weekly instalments of 8K of my annual 200,000 salary? Stupid or not, I know these people are super lazy and generally won't do a yota above what's absolutely required and in 99.999% of cases they will pass through anything below 10K and hold anything above 10K.

at 8K you will probably be OK, anything ABOVE $9500 and you will have to begin doing explanations after some time, paperwork, etc, UNTIL, the that gets to be usual for the bank you use, if you get an official managing your accounts on the bank it will also be easier...as I say, bellow 10K check rules that changes a lot based on the bank you use here.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
Declaring the source is not an issue of course. Providing evidence of usage however is an issue.....

They bank normally just ask for proof of source, you can use your money whatever way you want after received, meaning not need to inform that.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Sure, if one is to send 10 wires of 9,999 each in 10 days, that would probably raise red flags. But sending a weekly or bi-weekly wire of random amount between 8 and 10K - that won't attract any attention.

You're presuming a *person* is watching that traffic. A computer is doing the initial analysis, and a person is following up on what the computer has flagged for review.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
You're presuming a *person* is watching that traffic. A computer is doing the initial analysis, and a person is following up on what the computer has flagged for review.

A computer just follows a set of instructions, like 'flag all transactions above a certain amount' and as such in no way different from a human watch, except speed of processing. And I am not presuming anything, just observing that wires below 10K arrive in 10 minutes, and wires above 10K are held up by BanReservas.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
A computer just follows a set of instructions, like 'flag all transactions above a certain amount' and as such in no way different from a human watch, except speed of processing. And I am not presuming anything, just observing that wires below 10K arrive in 10 minutes, and wires above 10K are held up by BanReservas.

YMMV. Peace...

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
It $10000us a month max how ever you want to do ! $5000 and $5000 in a month will work... $5000 and $5001 gets your $501 frozen till you prove... $10000 a month how ever you wish to do it...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Good evening Everyone,
I have a quick question regarding the permitable amount for Bank to Bank money transfers to the DR. My Bank (Banco Santa Cruz) informed me that over 10K I must show "Evidencia de uso" (Evidence lof usage). Banco Popular told me something similar. I asked what that means and I was told that if I am about to buy a house that i must show them a contract. But, I am not buying a house, I am receiving a 6 figure compensation for services outside the DR. So, if I u8nderstand it correctly and I just wish to receive my finds here it has to be below 10K, unless I have a purchase contract of some sort?

I would get a letter from the party outlining the compensation to you and the amount totalling over 10,000 or have them send two wires of $5000 each. Of course there will be a service charge deducted from the transfers, most likely by both banks

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
An alternative can be to send the full amount to your bank account outside of DR and then send to DR in 9K-ish transactions.
This raises money laundering red flags quickly.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
This raises money laundering red flags quickly.

And so? Let's see, the 2 alternatives here:
1. Transfer 17k -> raise red flags and not have the money on the destination account
2. Transfer 8K and 9K -> raise red flags (supposedly) and have the money on the destination account

I know which one I'll go for.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just show them your invoice or your client's payment.....
that should do it.

What they look for is a legitimate source of the funds.

Or use my route -
send it to your lawyer, he'll give it to you.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Just show them your invoice or your client's payment.....
that should do it.

What they look for is a legitimate source of the funds.

It entirely depends on the person you are dealing with at DR bank: if they don't know you/decide that they don't like you, no amount of documentation will be good enough. Been there, done that, don't care to spend time and gas to do it ever again.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
And so? Let's see, the 2 alternatives here:
1. Transfer 17k -> raise red flags and not have the money on the destination account
2. Transfer 8K and 9K -> raise red flags (supposedly) and have the money on the destination account

I know which one I'll go for.
It's easiest just to have proof of where the money comes from in a transfer. That should not be that difficult.

Multiple transfers of large sub-10k amounts can create downstream problems. And at some point, with enough transfers, will create problems. It'd be hell having a transfer just sequestered for weeks until you prove the funds *did not* come from shenanigans under their suspicious eyes---and they do their investigation. This happened to a friend of mine who tried to get cute with money transfers to the DR while trying to build a house. He couldn't touch a $9000 transfer for three months, and could not make other transfers, while tying to prove he wasn't involved in money laundering. Bureaucracy---in the DR as well as the states---can move at a snails pace if they choose.

Besides, it's the bank also under pressure. You are not just proving to the bank where the money comes from. The banks have to provide documented proof where the money came from to LE should transfers raise red flags. The DR is under a microscope for money laundering shenanigans by numerous international agencies including the DEA and IRS. Don't blame banks. Blame politicians in the states and international bureaucrats, all in the name of the War on Drugs. Folks like you are mere collateral damage they couldn't care less about.

Ask any banker in the DR and let them tell you themselves.

Just play it straight and avoid problems. Yes, you may not have access to the money for a few days. That's almost routine and a small speed bump to plan for.

Trust me: you won't win trying to game the system, and you'll gain credibility by playing it straight..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It entirely depends on the person you are dealing with at DR bank: if they don't know you/decide that they don't like you, no amount of documentation will be good enough. Been there, done that, don't care to spend time and gas to do it ever again.

back to the lawyer idea.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
CB is right......

I am verifying my address/residency (yet again) for an investment firm...
they are under the gun to report.
and this firm will not allow US citizens or residents as clients - too much oversight by Uncle Sam

so the inquisition in my case is from non-US agencies.

When I was building, I regularly sent large sums , nothing less than $50k, to my lawyer for distribution to my builder.

This solved the transfer issue and served as a receipt for monies rec'd.
Double duty

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
It's easiest just to have proof of where the money comes from in a transfer. That should not be that difficult.

Multiple transfers of large sub-10k amounts can create downstream problems. And at some point, with enough transfers, will create problems. It'd be hell having a transfer just sequestered for weeks until you prove the funds *did not* come from shenanigans under their suspicious eyes---and they do their investigation. This happened to a friend of mine who tried to get cute with money transfers to the DR while trying to build a house. He couldn't touch a $9000 transfer for three months, and could not make other transfers, while tying to prove he wasn't involved in money laundering. Bureaucracy---in the DR as well as the states---can move at a snails pace if they choose.

This is all good, and is the best route to follow, at least when we are talking about 'house money' amounts. Don't send a 9K transfer every day for 2 months and expect there won't be any problems. But if you just want to wire down a quick 17K and want to avoid dealing with morons at DR bank, split the amount into two. I like how you guys keep repeating "It's easiest just to have proof of where the money comes from in a transfer. That should not be that difficult." Say, I own a source account (business) and a destination account (personal) and want to make a transfer. Feel free to take a stab at what you think 'the proof of where the money comes from' might be for your average bank CS rep in a quaint town of Sosua. Because I had to give up quickly.

Trust me: no amount of following rules can guide you through every situation in the land of idiots.

jpblan2001

Jun 23, 2014
Transactions purposely made under the $10K limit is illegal in the USA and may be also illegal in the DR. In the US its a violation of title 31, USC Section 5324 and commonly referred to as "structuring".

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yup, structuring....

I was in the check cashing business.... we had to report regularly.

VJS,
you need to make a relationship within your bank.
That's how I survive at Banco Progreso.....
They welcome me by name.....offer any amount of help.

Bankning relationships are personal.

My Cdn bank (Scotia) wiill wire me money based on e-mail instructions.
Again, after establishing a relationship.

Give it a try
Surely somebody you know is related to somebody in your bank.
RD works that way.........IMO

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This is all good, and is the best route to follow, at least when we are talking about 'house money' amounts. Don't send a 9K transfer every day for 2 months and expect there won't be any problems. But if you just want to wire down a quick 17K and want to avoid dealing with morons at DR bank, split the amount into two. I like how you guys keep repeating "It's easiest just to have proof of where the money comes from in a transfer. That should not be that difficult." Say, I own a source account (business) and a destination account (personal) and want to make a transfer. Feel free to take a stab at what you think 'the proof of where the money comes from' might be for your average bank CS rep in a quaint town of Sosua. Because I had to give up quickly.

Trust me: no amount of following rules can guide you through every situation in the land of idiots.
First of all, your first mistake is dealing with a CS rep.

Never in my life did I go into a bank and NOT ask for the Branch Manager to start a relationship at the top. Never.

In the DR it's even more important.

Go to the Top Dog and ~ASK~ what he/she/xe require for proof of source for future transfers, and get some agreement and maybe a timetable for the $$$ hitting your account. Don't guess and don't ask a CS for their opinion.

It's not that difficult.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
First of all, your first mistake is dealing with a CS rep.

Never in my life did I go into a bank and NOT ask for the Branch Manager to start a relationship at the top. Never.

In the DR it's even more important.

Sure thing but if I am on NC, I am not going to drive 2 hours to Santiago to my main branch just to resolve an annoying minor problem.