Bank Transfers from overseas

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Surely it's easier to have a dollar and a peso account with the same bank. I have this with Popular and can switch money between accounts online in seconds. Their rate is always very good as well.

I have both accounts with Banco Popular too, but I still usually withdraw more substantial amounts in dollars and change it at Caribe Express, as the rate is always better.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I think that's calculated in Toronto - at the sending end - they should be able to tell you.

On receiving, look at your statement - mine at Progreso was a $10US rec'ving fee.

I used my Scotia Bank in Canada to send money to Scotiabank account in Puerto Plata.
It was always small amounts up to $9,500.00 the fee was $49.00 CDN.

When I send $1000.oo through Western Union the fee is $33.00 CDN

I tra vel back and forth many times from Canada. If I have a lot of money like $30,000.oo I simply declare it at Customs/Immigration and give reason and have never had a concern nor problem.

I did have a concern when my accounts were hacked through the POP Branch ; it took six months to recover.
The Banks are secure and uncompromising; put it can all depend upon the manager or friend in the Branch.

Russell

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have a Dollar and a Peso account at BHD. I deposit a check from my US bank account into the USD account - just have to plan ahead a little because it takes about 10 days to clear.

When I need to change Dollars, I just call the local cambio that I deal with and tell him how much. His rate is always as good as Caribe Express.

He sends someone with the pesos right to the bank to meet me when I get there. No need to go anywhere. Fast and easy. I'm sure other cambios would offer the same service.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I used my Scotia Bank in Canada to send money to Scotiabank account in Puerto Plata.
It was always small amounts up to $9,500.00 the fee was $49.00 CDN.

When I send $1000.oo through Western Union the fee is $33.00 CDN

I tra vel back and forth many times from Canada. If I have a lot of money like $30,000.oo I simply declare it at Customs/Immigration and give reason and have never had a concern nor problem.

I did have a concern when my accounts were hacked through the POP Branch ; it took six months to recover.
The Banks are secure and uncompromising; put it can all depend upon the manager or friend in the Branch.

Russell

Be careful Russell... this has been said before here..,.

You might be followed for that $$ declaration....it has happened out of SDQ according to reports here

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
if possible, send it to a peso account

I bank with Banco Popular and have been for many years . I am well known to them and for many years my transfers from England and Australia , where I have bank accounts, have gone smoothly and quite quickly . However my last four transfers were held up by Banco Popular for between 8 to 10 days. No reason is ever given although the bank has my tax details abroad and know the source of my money.
I am wondering if others have been experiencing these delays. I do not know if Banco Popular are just using my money or if they have some other reason . Maybe someone knows if Scotia Bank, which is an international bank,processes these transfers quicker. Also,is there any risk with Banco Popular somehow trying to appropriate my funds ?? I might add that my transfers to various family members living elsewhere in the world are processed within 12 hours.

Hi, it is absolutely normal here to wait up to even 7 working days to have dollar transfers available in your US$ Account. If it is only a small amount and later you gonna change it anyway to pesos, transfer it to a peso account and you get it right away. The exchange rates are ok.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Live Report

Last week I sent money to Progreso on Wednesday morning.
It arrived Thursday.

This US$$ to a US$$ account

I notice transactions flowing faster recently.

The amount was more than $10,000 and no questions were asked at either end.

While the sending U.S. bank may not ask any questions, it must notify Treasury when those transactions occur, or if you stack to avoid sending one payment. Last year when I landed in Santo Domingo and went into BanReservas to deposit some funds, the assistant manager provided me with a form which requested my U.S. SSN in case I had transactions over USD $10,000. BanReservas never asked for the SSN previously. We both looked at each other, and I completed the form. Like many of us on DR1, I stay below the threshold.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Doctor
I am not American but I know the problem.

In fact , some of my institutions refuse US clients

Most foreign banks around the world refuse or hesitate to take U.S. clients if they do not hold residency or citizenship in the host country. This was one of my reasons for getting residency. The other was avoiding the overstay fine, or getting a traffic ticket while in illegal migration status.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Live Report

Last week I sent money to Progreso on Wednesday morning.
It arrived Thursday.

This US$$ to a US$$ account

I notice transactions flowing faster recently.

The amount was more than $10,000 and no questions were asked at either end.

Even Better

My transfer today was sent and arrived same day ....
Same as my TD received it the same day in the US

Something new is afoot...and I’m happy

It was $10k on the nose and no questions so far.