Banking in the DR (in USD)

Sep 22, 2009
Hi Vollyeball,

A real easy solution is avail at Banco Leon. Open a 2 savings accounts (one in dollars, one in pesos). This ways you can buy/sell dollars between the 2 accounts easily. THEN go to any branch and buy an offical Banco Leon prepaid Visa debit. This card let's you make purchases online to like Amazon and all your favorite US websites.

Your merchants that take online payments in the States accept this debit card!

NB: This is different than the debit card they give you with your account. Once you have an account with Leon, then you just go into any branch and buy this other card.

It is highly recommended to keep a Citibank account in the States.

International SWIFT transfers you need to go down to the branch and sign a form in person. I have a release sig on file with my acct manager and after that all my wires are done via email communication with my acct mgr.

Sep 22, 2009
Hi Vollyeball,

A real easy solution is avail at Banco Leon. Open a 2 savings accounts (one in dollars, one in pesos). This ways you can buy/sell dollars between the 2 accounts easily. THEN go to any branch and buy an offical Banco Leon prepaid Visa debit. This card let's you make purchases online to like Amazon and all your favorite US websites.

Your merchants that take online payments in the States accept this debit card!

NB: This is different than the debit card they give you with your account. Once you have an account with Leon, then you just go into any branch and buy this other card.

It is highly recommended to keep a Citibank account in the States.

International SWIFT transfers you need to go down to the branch and sign a form in person. I have a release sig on file with my acct manager and after that all my wires are done via email communication with my acct mgr.

Hi, forgot to add a disclaimer:

Make sure to verify the above info with their very professional customer service hotline first:

1 809 476 2000

There is an English option.