batteries

A

apostropheman

i was talking with mi novia, about the current weather on the south coast, and she told me that she has been without electricity since at least 24+ hours.

she has a new, small, new, inversore, i forget the size and brand, and 4 new batteries. how long would you expect it to keep the lights running under these conditions:

generally in the day and before gong to bed, 1 or 2 regular light bulbs and a 2 tube fluorescent light and a small TV. occasionally 1 low wattage mini-fluorescent bulb for the kitchen.

most of the time she is in her colmado, only goes to the house for the bathroom and to cook and everything is off at night except perhaps the exterior light over the main entry door.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i was talking with mi novia, about the current weather on the south coast, and she told me that she has been without electricity since at least 24+ hours.

she has a new, small, new, inversore, i forget the size and brand, and 4 new batteries. how long would you expect it to keep the lights running under these conditions:

generally in the day and before gong to bed, 1 or 2 regular light bulbs and a 2 tube fluorescent light and a small TV. occasionally 1 low wattage mini-fluorescent bulb for the kitchen.

most of the time she is in her colmado, only goes to the house for the bathroom and to cook and everything is off at night except perhaps the exterior light over the main entry door.
It depends on the bulbs, if they are those economy bulbs or the regular ones, but, just taking a guess, maybe 2 days.

A

apostropheman

cool, thanks.

the bulbs that are on from say 8:00am till after 11:00pm are probably about 40w regular bulbs. usually only one on plus the fluorescent fixture.

so far, so good. they've still got some lights.
It depends on the bulbs, if they are those economy bulbs or the regular ones, but, just taking a guess, maybe 2 days.

Feb 7, 2007
No fridge on inverter? If just bulbs and small TV, and dependning on the size of inverter (e.g. 1 or 1.5 kW) and 4 batteries, you could run 2 days fine.

The power is being restored, at 9 pm about 48% of the country's circuits have already been restored, many more will be restored overnight, because the blackout was precautionary grid turn-off. Only seriously damaged circuits may take more to power up.
If she was without power since Sunday, the circuit may have some damage (because the blackout - grid turn off - happened at 00:50 and again at 2:00 pm, Monday) but most likely will be restored during Tuesday at the latest.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Apo,

If she can live without the TV, that will greatly increase the time she gets.

Get her a couple more low watt bulbs, and get rid of the regular bulbs. You can buy what's called "soft white" low watt bulbs, that give off light like a regular light bulb, instead of that sickish white florescent color.

A 15 watt bulb will give the same brightness as a 75W regular bulb..

That's about as good as she's gonna get..
You can't really expect a Dominicana to go without her tele novelas, can you?
Besides, most TV's nowadays are only 60 or 70 watts.

A

apostropheman

thanks guys,

i'll suggest about the lights,again, although i thought that was what she had...soft white. I use them at home myself...but i really don't like the quality of the light either...ssshhhhhh :)

as for the TV it has a FAR more important use that novelas! (though her sister is hooked for sure) .................PLAYSTATION!!! :cheeky::bunny::bunny: