BBQing a Whole Pig

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Be careful of galvanized (zinc) coated chicken wire. There may be health risks from zinc.

Sometimes not following the rules can have consequences even in the DR.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Just seen this thread now and won't bother to post pics of the many dozens we have cooked here over the years as they all look much the same as raw on the spit and cooked when ready - I think many DR1ers have been treated to pigs cooked here which I can still organise but don't promote in the same way as done in the past. Am very surprised that AE and Mr AE did not realise!

The slaughtered pig is cleaned using boiling water as seen in the videos and shaved with Gillete to get rid of the rogue hairs. They are then normally marinaded with Margo's special recipe overnight and basted with more whilst cooking. I will just say that the marinade includes stock, garlic, lots of pepper and oregano (molida), the Sazon products both completo and liquido plus apple cider vinegar. Not had any complaints as yet how Margo and Tuly prepare it and also that we deliver in banana and palm leaves in the Dominican traditional way!! Let me know if you want one? lol

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
What is that muck they put in the cavity in the video, as JD J asked?

It is a marinade made of oregano, onions, ajicitos dulce, recao, naranja agria and garlic. Usually it is
pureed in blender, or by hand chopped or diced.

I've seen the marinade being prepared many times in the campos.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Rebel, they CALL them caja china, but they're not the real thing, at least in the campo. This is the get-up they used at our house: [of course, this is a little piggy]

2mpkhhv.jpg

2eg7iup.jpg

atkqq9.jpg

24ls901.jpg

Definitely not a caja china AE, but I'd still bet that the pig was excellent eats! This is how we do it in the barrio.. Everything done on the street. Too funny. Friends and family from the states think I'm crazy. Maybe they're right..
2i0ek3c.jpg

33mtypx.jpg

11hz09k.jpg

xbk4z6.jpg

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
What is that muck they put in the cavity in the video, as JD J asked?

Can't speak for the video, but what is done with the pigs in the barrio is that they are prepared for roasting using salsa china, sour orange, lime, garlic, oregano, Grated red onion, cilantro, rosemary, and salsa picante. Just like in the video, the pig is opened up in places, the seasoning put in, pig sits overnight and is cooked the next morning.