best air conditioner brand

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Wow I thought I was bad at 75-76. 😂
One thing to remember, Whether your A/C is set a 80 or 60, when the compressor is engaged, it is blowing cold air. It doesn't blow any colder when you set it low then it does at 80.
I can sit at my desk in my bedroom and the A/C keeps me cool even though it's set at 80. My ceiling fan on low keeps the air circulating just enough to keep the A/C cycling on and off all day.
Same thing with my A/C in the living room. I sit in my recliner and watch movies on my 10' screen, and I'm always cool. :cool:

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
We have two 12 000 BTU mini splits, two computers, three fans, TV, fridge, lights, hot water tank, security system plus cameras, inversor with two batteries and our electrical is between 2000 and 2500 per month. AC is only on , normally from say 8 pm to 6 am.

I'm not disputing this, but I have never had a bill that low, and I have lived in many different apartments, but always in the capital. I have the AC on for 6 hours a night at 24 degrees then it automatically shuts off. One inverter fridge-freezer and I'm at work a lot of the time during the day so not a lot turned on. My bill always comes to at least RD$ 4,000 sometimes more like RD$ 8000. And it can't be down to people stealing as I pay the electricity bill for another apartment that I have family living in, and that's in line with mine. Maybe Edeeste charge a lot more in the capital.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
What temperature is your A/C set at? Mine is at 80 which may seem high, but walk into my place from outside and you immediately feel the coolness.

In my office at work I have it set to 82 degrees on low fan, if not I get too cold. It just takes the edge off the humidity but doesn't mean you need to wear extra clothes for warmth.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm not disputing this, but I have never had a bill that low, and I have lived in many different apartments, but always in the capital. I have the AC on for 6 hours a night at 24 degrees then it automatically shuts off. One inverter fridge-freezer and I'm at work a lot of the time during the day so not a lot turned on. My bill always comes to at least RD$ 4,000 sometimes more like RD$ 8000. And it can't be down to people stealing as I pay the electricity bill for another apartment that I have family living in, and that's in line with mine. Maybe Edeeste charge a lot more in the capital.
How many lights do you have and what wattage? If you have regular bulbs and/or a chandelier that would probably make up a large amount of your bill.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
What temperature is your A/C set at? Mine is at 80 which may seem high, but walk into my place from outside and you immediately feel the coolness.
I have mine set at 81F. Feels cool to me. Everyone that comes into my unit immediately comments on how cool it feels.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
One thing to remember, Whether your A/C is set a 80 or 60, when the compressor is engaged, it is blowing cold air. It doesn't blow any colder when you set it low then it does at 80.
I can sit at my desk in my bedroom and the A/C keeps me cool even though it's set at 80. My ceiling fan on low keeps the air circulating just enough to keep the A/C cycling on and off all day.
Same thing with my A/C in the living room. I sit in my recliner and watch movies on my 10' screen, and I'm always cool. :cool:
I can't believe how many people think that the lower you set the temperature, the cooler the air from the unit will be.

• Haha

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I bought two TGM Inverter models with a SEER rating of 24. 220V ACs will use less electricity overall than 120V models. Always get an inverter model. No to be confused with a battery back up inverter. Inverters in appliances regulate the operation of the motors/compressors inside the unit so it will only use as much power as is needed to run the appliance efficiently based on the environmental conditions at the time. A refrigerator is another common appliance that you can find with an internal inverter.

My TGM AC's dropped my monthly electricity consumption by about half, and are still working after 5 years and have paid for themselves with the savings in electricity usage.

What most people should buy if they can afford it:

-an AC with the highest SEER rating you can find.
-a inverter model
-a commonly sold brand that has a parts supplier available preferably near where you live.

Reactions: Farmer and JD Jones

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Lol you sound like my dad when we were kids. He had all these rules about when to have our ceiling fans on or off or our doors open or closed. He did the same in the winter. We never knew what the rule was, we always seemed to get it wrong 😂😂

ese tipo

Apr 12, 2019
Should you be in the 120 volt camp that is sometimes the case on the island don't let that be a the goal post that discourages you from buying an inverter unit.People are under the impression that somehow higher voltage means greater efficiency, it doesn't.Higher voltage simply means smaller wire hence lower cost to construct and operate.For instance a 1200 watt coffee maker whether in the states or Europe will still use 1200 watts regardless of voltage (110 us and Canada- 220 most of Europe).and your bill is based off wattage Kilo watt hours to be exact.There a few manufacturers that make 120 inverter units as large as 12k BTU.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

kenshireen

May 21, 2022
usa
is that a 10 inch screen?

kenshireen

May 21, 2022
usa
I bought two TGM Inverter models with a SEER rating of 24. 220V ACs will use less electricity overall than 120V models. Always get an inverter model. No to be confused with a battery back up inverter. Inverters in appliances regulate the operation of the motors/compressors inside the unit so it will only use as much power as is needed to run the appliance efficiently based on the environmental conditions at the time. A refrigerator is another common appliance that you can find with an internal inverter.

My TGM AC's dropped my monthly electricity consumption by about half, and are still working after 5 years and have paid for themselves with the savings in electricity usage.

What most people should buy if they can afford it:

-an AC with the highest SEER rating you can find.
-a inverter model
-a commonly sold brand that has a parts supplier available preferably near where you live.
seer rating of 20 is excellent.. I just had units replaced with 16. The higher the seer the more efficient the unit. It use less electricity

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I wonder if the title of this OP should be modified to include not only "what brand" but "Type... inverter or standard"? Maybe its only me that needs to understand but shouldn't the information posted include that detail?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What's the technical justification for making this statement?
Cdn_Gringo said:
... 220V ACs will use less electricity overall than 120V models. ...

Great question SantiagoDR. I call BS on that claim, and yes I have heard naive local so called electricians use it as well.

No, a 220 air conditioner is not more efficient than a 110 air conditioner.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Same as with water pumps wired for 220V instead of 120V - The draw of electricity to start the motor(s) running is less than is the case with a 120V connection. I've been told this both here and back home. This can be significant with appliances that have motors that start and stop frequently.

https://www.arlingtonairconditioningheating.com/is-it-cheaper-to-run-a-110-or-220-air-conditioner/
From that link here is a sentence that total BS:

Which is more efficient?

After installing the current level in the home, the voltage must be increased to provide energy because the 220V wire can provide the required boost. Similarly, due to the increase in voltage, the current efficiency of 220-volt power is higher because less power is required to provide the same power.

"Less power is required to provide the same power" is a sentence that violates the laws of physics and is complete nonsense. If that were possible we could be on to the way to create free energy and perpetual motion machines.

The amount of current used by an AC unit or pump at 220V is 50% less than the current at 110V but the power in watts is the same because power is the product of the voltage and the current. "Current efficiency" is mentioned, not how much power is used. It is true you can use smaller gauge wire to carry 220V than for the same amount of power at 110V. That is the "current efficiency" mentioned. The power used remains the same.

Reactions: johne