Best ATV (all terrain vehicle) brand & model sold/serviced in the DR?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Yes, this is the explanation from an expert for my opinion: "- handle bar steering can be dangerous in certain situations;"
I remember, there was a bad accident on Playa Bonita some time back when a tourist on an ATV crashed into a palm tree.
He had to be flown to SD with serious head injury....

donP
Ouch!

I had an employee who had two nephews die when their ATV hit a small log, rolled over and crushed their skulls.

If it were ME, I'd NOT get an ATV without seat belts and, minimally, a roll bar.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ouch!

I had an employee who had two nephews die when their ATV hit a small log, rolled over and crushed their skulls.

If it were ME, I'd NOT get an ATV without seat belts and, minimally, a roll bar.

The UTV fits the bill in the rollbar area and seat belts.

My concern is that a vehicle like that, capable of up to 70mph, is whether it has the braking power to stop properly.

I would like one for local, in-town trips.... but that does involve going on the public roadways.

I wouldn't be a good match for Caribe Tours...... blowing me off the road.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The UTV fits the bill in the rollbar area and seat belts.

My concern is that a vehicle like that, capable of up to 70mph, is whether it has the braking power to stop properly.

I would like one for local, in-town trips.... but that does involve going on the public roadways.

I wouldn't be a good match for Caribe Tours...... blowing me off the road.
Then why not build a VW powered Dune Buggy, like a Meyers Manx?

Would be cheaper and more practical.

DSCN2473_edited-vi.jpg

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
"Anyway, the number one question is what are your needs and how far can you see yourself traveling on your ATV."

Wow, these are some really great responses to my question about the "best ATV sold and serviced in the DR?"

My idea was to get a brand new, lower priced ATV and use it for short rides from our home in LT to town to fetch sundry items or to do errands. Maybe some nice beach area roving around and trail exploring but probably no super duty off-roading.

Reliability, ease of maintenance, and decent parts & service support are all important factors.

I've seen the Polaris in person and absolutely love it! Sadly, $22k-24k is way out of my price range.

BTW, we will also have a car at home in case of rain or touring the DR at times.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Then why not build a VW powered Dune Buggy, like a Meyers Manx?

Would be cheaper and more practical.

DSCN2473_edited-vi.jpg

I grew up in that era... dune buggies.... I suppose you can get a kit for almost any undercarriage, huh?
Doesn't need to be a VW?

Steve McQueen in the original Thomas Crown Affair....

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I grew up in that era... dune buggies.... I suppose you can get a kit for almost any undercarriage, huh?
Doesn't need to be a VW?

Steve McQueen in the original Thomas Crown Affair....
Kits are definitely available, as are rebuild VW chassis and decent hi-po motors.

I think you can buy a complete unassembled kit down to nuts and bolts from Meyers.

A dune buggy would be a fun toy vehicle for the DR...