Best dog to get?

mullinsca

Sep 10, 2003
No Assumption Here!!!

Escott said:
I wonder exactly where you get your information from since whether a dog is good with children or not depends ONLY on socialization and NOT breed.

A little information and a lot of assumption is dangerous.

Please check with some registered dog trainers which I have. Many traits of many breeds make them not very good choices for children no matter the socialization. Obviously you didnt do your homework very well.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
expatsooner said:
I wouldn't want to own your friend's dog either. Hate to say it but it needs another home with experienced owner or it should be put down. Not the dog's fault but that's the way it is. It is also why I added my last paragraph about some breeds should be in experienced hands only.
and to add, the dog stinks and is living with a family in a one bedroom apartment. You probably can imagine washing that big monster in a bathtub. The wife is also not allowed to walk the dog, due to the fact that the dog dragged down the sidewalk chasing a guy up a tree. Here's a list of Australia's dangerous dogs acts of 1991.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_Dogs_Act_1991
I don't see snoopy on that list:laugh:

chella

Aug 19, 2004
rottwieller

i have a rottie called rocky i know original......but the best dog i have ever had hes 7 yrs old now and best friend with my 4 yr old son im also expecting a baby in 4 weeks and not worried at all...hes a lovely placid dog but also a great guard dog...i would definatly recomend that breed

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Great companions and very protective

brit said:
definately a boxer.......ours is nearly 10 years old and he has been the best of friends......fun, loving and a comic. He has many human friends, who come to visit him. they have great personalities!!!:bandit:
Dogs are there to warn us of danger,,,,,,but you will need other backup.

That is the only breed that I will own.Great with children, excellent with friends and family, and protects their grounds while your asleep due to... great hearing and protecting the family, and strong as an ox.;) ;) ;)

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Not the breed that's screwed up....

expatsooner said:
This post proves my point about a needing to ensure you get a well-bred Rottie - the breed standard is (in part):

General Appearance
The ideal Rottweiler is a medium-large, robust and powerful dog, black with clearly defined rust markings. His compact and substantial build denotes great strength, agility and endurance.

Size, Proportion, Substance
Dog: 24 inches to 27 inches
Bitches: 22 inches to 25 inches
with preferred size being midrange of each sex. Correct proportion is of primary importance, as long as size is within the standard's range.

His bone and muscle mass must be sufficient to balance his frame, giving a compact and very powerful appearance.
Serious Faults: Lack of proportion, Undersized, oversized, reversal of sex characteristics (bitchy dogs, doggy bitches).

A dog that, in the opinion of the judge menaces or threatens him/her, or exhibits any sign that it may not be safety approached or examined by the judge in the normal manner, shall be excused from the ring, A dog that in the opinion of the judge attacks any person in the ring shall be disqualified.

The dog you are describing is not a well bred Rottie and usually when they have been bred with no regard to physical standards the mental standards suffer as well.

Temperament - The Rottweiler is basically a calm, confident and courageous dog with a self-assured aloofness that does not lend itself to immediate and indiscriminate friendships. A Rottweiler is self-confident and responds quietly and with a wait-and-see attitude to influences in his environment. He has an inherent desire to protect home and family, and is an intelligent dog of extreme hardness and adaptability with a strong willingness to work, making him especially suited as a companion, guardian and general all-purpose dog.

I wouldn't want to own your friend's dog either. Hate to say it but it needs another home with experienced owner or it should be put down. Not the dog's fault but that's the way it is. It is also why I added my last paragraph about some breeds should be in experienced hands only.

I went with a Rottie. I absolutely adore German Shepards. I had several Shepards and they were fantastic pets, companions and family dogs However, I wanted a different breed and carefully selected an American standard Rottweiler. I studied up on this breed before getting one. In all three manuals I read it stated in bold letters on the first page. "Warning, if you are not prepared to prove to this dog your desire to be it's leader each and everyday of it's life. Do not choose this breed and select another". That statement holds so true.

I got Saxon at 9 weeks and he was already a big boy at 35 lbs. At five months he was 85 lbs. I had him professionally trained at Global K9 in New Windsor, NY. Global trains the City Of Newburgh's Police dogs as well as the City Of Poughkeepise. Further then the typical disciplinary/obedience training I had him also "socialized". Socialization for an animal such as a Rottie is strongly suggested. Global K9 brought Saxon to schools where there are children and shopping malls where there are large groups of people. He was taught at an early age that people exist and belong in the world. He was taught that he wasn't the "king" of all.

However, at home he knew his job and he knew his place. He was loved and he was respected. At a muscular and lean 145 lbs and standing just shy of 30inches at the shoulder he was a monster! This massive animal loved other animals, children and old ladies. He knew when there were visitors in the house to show himself and then to go to "his space" which was an extra room in my house where all his toys and bed was. He didn't sit on people's legs (a sign of dominance) and growl at people. He went to each person, allowed himself to be known and then left without being told, he knew.

He didn't need to be taught how to protect his domain. To test this I would come home and scratch on the windows and doors then I would leave for a few more hours so to not make him believe that the noise was me. The dog went berserk in the house. A UPS delivery person came to the house and was knocking on the door and yelling if anyone was home. Saxon rammed the door with his head smashing out the wood panel. Thankfully for the iron storm door or otherwise he would have got out. By the time I ran down the stairs the UPS man was gone with the package on the sidewalk. However, on a later date the same UPS man got to meet Saxon and they became the best of buddies.

It's not the breed people, it's the people that breed them! Some of the most vicious dogs I have ever seen were breeds of dogs that you would think were cuddly and lovable. That's just it though, they weren't taught and they weren't loved. Don't blame the breed, blame the people.

Any dog that is loved and respected will be a fine protector. It all depends on what breed you desire to have and how much training/money/time and patience you are willing to go through.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
mullinsca said:
Please check with some registered dog trainers which I have. Many traits of many breeds make them not very good choices for children no matter the socialization. Obviously you didnt do your homework very well.
I was a professional Dog trainer. There is NO SUCH THING as a registered dog trainer. You need to protect the dogs from young kids and not the other way around if the dog is well bred and well socialized. Young children are vicious. You always hear the stories about the Dobbie turning on the kid but you never heard that the kid stuck a pencil in the dogs ear to see if it would come out the other side. I would NEVER sell a puppie to families with children under 10 years old. I wanted to protect my puppies.

I use to train dogs for different police departments and did so for almost 20 years. I was an Animal Control Officer for 5 years for the Department of Agriculture and Markets. They hired me based on recommendations without even doing a background check on me and gave me a shield and a ID.

I have been on Network TV speaking about dog training. I have had several dogs in movies from a Lhaso Apso to a Doberman.

In my breeding kennel we bred over 100 German Shepherd puppies a year out of German imports who were usually Siegers and Shutzhund III's along with other designations such as tracking. My male shepherd pups went into different police departments and females went into the Seeing Eye programs although every not every one of them qualified but all those that did turned out to be working dogs.

I bred and finished German Shepherds and many have appeared at Westminister in Madison Square Garden.

I have direct breeding experience with Rotties, Dobbies, Akitas and Shepherds and have trained just about every breed out there when I was doing this professionally.

So how about telling me about these traits you refer to?

Escott

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Ricardo900 said:
My neighbor had one of the biggest go*dam Rottweiler I ever set my eyes upon, 200+ pounds of raw muscle. The beast name was ROCKY! and the owner had to walk the dog with a leash constructed out of thick rope and he also wore workman gloves. This dog was not trained properly and attack anything or anybody it didn't like. I myself weigh a solid 200 pounds and could not control that dog when it got riled up. He had to walk the dog late at night to avoid people and other dogs.
There has never been a 200 pound Rottie:) Give me a leash and a choke chain and I WILL control any dog, even one that is trying to attack me. I would string him up and swing him into a few walls and he will settle down quick enough.

I better get out of this thread before I make more enemies:)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Danny W said:
We will be getting a dog when we move into our new house in Sosua next year. It will be a faminly pet and live in the house, but must be percieved as a guard dog by strangers (bark at people) - that's why we're getting it. I'm a fan of mixed breeds, as they seem to be more intelligent and less prone to breed specific maladies, but I'm no expert. There are kids in the house, and they will have friends coming and going, so even temper is a must. All you expeienced dog owners, I'd love your advice. - D
As you will be living in Sosua and there is a certain availability of Rhodesian Ridgebacks, you might want to drop in here and take Bruno for a walk, or just hang with him.
He is the perfect description of what you are looking for.
I have seen many valid suggestions and I love a lot of the dogs mentioned, but once you have had a Ridgeback, everything else pales in comparison.
It couldn't be more even tempered, and does not waste it's or your time with useless barking.
When a Ridgeback barks, it's for real.
They are one of the most powerful pound for pound dogs, in fact, they say that the only dog that can take on a Ridgeback, is another Ridgeback.
Take me up on the offer.
Come and check Bruno out.
He's only 15 months old now, but I am convinced you will be so impressed that you will want one.
You are quite correct in your assumption that a lot of purebred dogs are more susceptible to illness, more than mixed breeds, but this fortunately does not seem to be the case with the Ridgebacks.
I have had dogs all my adult life and have never had such an ideal dog as Bruno.

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
This thread rates in the top 20 funniest. Don't listen to any of the previous BS posts. Get a Chi-wa-wa. Nobody will be able to sleep. You'll have all your neighbours watching your place. "Waiting for the chance to kill your dog"

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Eddy said:
This thread rates in the top 20 funniest. Don't listen to any of the previous BS posts. Get a Chi-wa-wa. Nobody will be able to sleep. You'll have all your neighbours watching your place. "Waiting for the chance to kill your dog"
The OP's question was clear, concise and very valid.
If some people have turned it into a joke, there's no need for you to take it further, suggesting a chiwawa.
Furthermore, most of the posts were good legitimate suggestions.
There is nothing funny about attending to one's security in this country, and dogs play an integral part.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Andy B said:
Look for a mix of Belgian Malinois (brown shepard) and Dominican. We've had two at our hotel for almost 6 years and they not only are extremely loyal and bond well to family, but are quick to discerne who our guests are and who doesn't belong on the property. So far they've put several thieves off the property, the last time with a dog hanging on one's a-- as he was going over the fence! Needless to say they did not return.

Pure Malinois of about 80 lbs. are used by the Belgian army and are nothing to mess with. Belgian millers originally used them years ago to guard the wheat crops stored at the mills.

Malinois original were sheperds like the GSD but now they zre worldwide seen as the best policedogs, even the german Police are using them now. Thier advantage over other protective breeds are:

Speed
agility
caracter
Full bite
and thier long lifespan (an aberage GSD is "old" at the age of 8 a Mal can work up to the age of 12/13)

I'm in the proces off selling property in belgium. Once this is done I"ll be moving to the DR with

A fully trained one
A puppy in training
A Pregnant Female

For those who want more info ask away or send me a PM

Greetings

Johan

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
dogs at the beach

boy!! this thread illustrates how much passion and love people have for they're dogs...some people ..during hurricane katrina.were willing to die..rather then leave their four legged friends. question...is it safe for a dog to live at a beach location?? i've heard that the sand can clog up their nostrils..and cause big problems.especially small dogs.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
paddy said:
question...is it safe for a dog to live at a beach location?? i've heard that the sand can clog up their nostrils..and cause big problems.especially small dogs.
The OP mentioned their dog living in the house, so the sand should not be a problem, however it is an interesting question.
I have never heard of such a thing, but then again, I never had a small dog.
Judy from Judy's Pet Lodge would be able to answer that question, if you're interested in knowing.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
how could you

i originally put this in the clown bin..but i'd like to share this again with all you dog lovers who didn't see it...

When I was a puppy I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" - but then you'd relent and roll me over for a bellyrub.

My housetraining took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed, listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs," you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" - still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch - because your touch was now so infrequent - and I would have defended them with my life if need be.

I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams. Together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway. There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog or cat, even one with "papers." You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a goodbye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too.

After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you - that you had changed your mind - that this was all a bad dream...or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table, rubbed my ears and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself - a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. With my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not meant for her. It was you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of. I will think of you and wait for you forever.

May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

The End

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Rocky said:
The OP's question was clear, concise and very valid.
If some people have turned it into a joke, there's no need for you to take it further, suggesting a chiwawa.
Furthermore, most of the posts were good legitimate suggestions.
There is nothing funny about attending to one's security in this country, and dogs play an integral part.
I was not joking at the OP's question but rather at some of the responses. He has children, friends visiting and want's the dog as a pet. I don't think he needs any big monster dog. Any small dog will do the trick. Including a Chi-wa-wa. You obviously didn't get the point. Small dogs are excellent alarms, don't cost a fortune to feed, will not stink up the house, will not be a threat to children and will scare most would be thieves away.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Eddy said:
I was not joking at the OP's question but rather at some of the responses. He has children, friends visiting and want's the dog as a pet. I don't think he needs any big monster dog. Any small dog will do the trick. Including a Chi-wa-wa. You obviously didn't get the point. Small dogs are excellent alarms, don't cost a fortune to feed, will not stink up the house, will not be a threat to children and will scare most would be thieves away.
I guess you missed the part of his post, saying, "but must be percieved as a guard dog by strangers".
Chihuahuas, as brave as they are for their size, don't exactly instill fear in a burglars heart.
I'm not trying to turn this into a competition about who is right and who is wrong, but I do believe that the OP deserves a certain amount of respect, which includes reading and understanding his question, and offering good solutions.

lperez

Jun 17, 2002
The best dog to get is a Frech mastiff. I have had many dogs in my life and never have I had one like this. I have 3 little girls and got the dog when my youngest was 4 (the dog was on 7 weeks). She is the best. I have a friend who got one and he says the same thing. Nobody can come in the yard without me letting her know it's OK unless it is a child they seem to know. They are a little expensive but I feel so safe with this dog you can not imagine.

I do not live in the DR yet but will in the future can the person who mentioned the bull mastiff tell me if the heat bothers them to much.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Rocky said:
The OP mentioned their dog living in the house, so the sand should not be a problem, however it is an interesting question.
I have never heard of such a thing, but then again, I never had a small dog.
Judy from Judy's Pet Lodge would be able to answer that question, if you're interested in knowing.

This is nonsens a dog can sneeze!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Read the posts fully and carefully

heldengebroed said:
This is nonsens a dog can sneeze!

The OP, the poster (Paddy) asking about sand disrupting the dog's nostrils and Rocky suggesting a local vet for those answers never mentioned the word sneezing. I do not think sneezing was ever brought up in this entire thread until you brought it up. Read the posts carefully. Don't jump to a conclusion based on one post. This is rhetorical but I believe we all know that dogs do sneeze.

I understand your point that a dog would sneeze to clear it's nose. This is true and also untrue. Sand carries bacteria and does get into the dogs respiratory system and can cause some possible breathing problems. Of course we didn't have the answer to this question. Hence the reason why Rocky suggested a vet's opinion about this

Last edited: