Best flight options from Chicago in August

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
Hi, I will be making my first trip to DR in August, flying out of Chicago. Although I plan to spend most of my time in the north (from Santiago to North Coast), I am open to flying into whichever airport gets me the best price.

Plan to spend about two weeks to check out DR for extended stay in December - April. Any advice or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We just had a visitor from Chicago...

The flight was United/Continental thru Newark.
You need to overnite in EWR and get the morning plane to SDQ or POP.

The rerurn trip is a straight shot back to ORD, connecting in EWR.

There may be other flights, but thats the one we used.

Sorry, I can't remember the price.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I've flown American from POP to Chicago. Was able to make trip there in one day, but had to spend night in Miami on way back.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
We just had a visitor from Chicago...

The flight was United/Continental thru Newark.
You need to overnite in EWR and get the morning plane to SDQ or POP.

The rerurn trip is a straight shot back to ORD, connecting in EWR.

There may be other flights, but thats the one we used.

Sorry, I can't remember the price.

That flight adds about half an hour to your flight time and it is not the lowest cost. Making the transfer in Florida is the fastest way.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
I've flown American from POP to Chicago. Was able to make trip there in one day, but had to spend night in Miami on way back.

I use to like the Delta flight into POP but they I have not seen that flight in a while. POP kind of sucks because last time I flew pop they don't have the scanners like Santiago. They have to mannually open your bag.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Hi, I will be making my first trip to DR in August, flying out of Chicago. Although I plan to spend most of my time in the north (from Santiago to North Coast), I am open to flying into whichever airport gets me the best price.

Plan to spend about two weeks to check out DR for extended stay in December - April. Any advice or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

Lowest price is usually via Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. The only direct flight goes to Punta Cana.

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
I use to like the Delta flight into POP but they I have not seen that flight in a while. POP kind of sucks because last time I flew pop they don't have the scanners like Santiago. They have to mannually open your bag.

I havent had my bags manually searched in POP for over 2 years now... Scanners are used.

Ella

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
If you are looking for the least expensive, it is a lot cheaper to fly from ORD to STI than to POP.

claufket

Jan 4, 2009
Look for charter flights through Apple Vacations or Funjet. There is an option for flight only. I fly direct to Punta Cana from St. Louis and always find the best prices through either of those. You may also be able to buy directly through Frontier Airlines coming out of Chicago. They don't allow St. Louis flights to book direct yet but I heard they were going to. You are limited on what days of the week they fly so make sure you try different days of the week but the direct flight is so convenient.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
If you are looking for the least expensive, it is a lot cheaper to fly from ORD to STI than to POP.

Yes, I have had people on the STI flight ask if I was going to the north coast to split a taxi. It cost less to Santiago

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Look for charter flights through Apple Vacations or Funjet. There is an option for flight only. I fly direct to Punta Cana from St. Louis and always find the best prices through either of those. You may also be able to buy directly through Frontier Airlines coming out of Chicago. They don't allow St. Louis flights to book direct yet but I heard they were going to. You are limited on what days of the week they fly so make sure you try different days of the week but the direct flight is so convenient.

When you factor in the travel cost from Punta Cana to el Cibao area & north coast, it will cost more. The only thing gained is a nonstop flight but you still have a long drive. This person is looking for the lowest cost.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
I havent had my bags manually searched in POP for over 2 years now... Scanners are used.

Ella

They must have had them installed because last time I flew into POP was in 2009. Also, I don't know if they still do this at POP, but the girls trying to take pictures with you when you step off the plane for $$$ kind of slows down the people moving trying to get their bags.
To me Santiago has the best airport in DR!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Try el Catey -- its pretty good...... really good..... like a foreign country.

Happy smiling faces at every turn and very helpful.

I've never tried STI but avoid POP studiously

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
since you have a computer, i would suggest that YOU start checking websites ie: kayak etc. no one here in the dr or for that matter any where else is going to know what airline fares will be in 3 1/2 to 4 months.

this is true, but there are some general guidelines that might help. the best price is very often available 6 weeks from date of travel. The cheapest fares are usually mid week, tuesday and wednesday, along with saturday. The best time to purchase is tuesday 3pm.

these are all just "rule of thumb" suggestions.

Also... if you're a gambler, you can try for the "last minute discount" and buy less than two weeks. That will be a matter of what's LEFT OVER, so they can fill the plane up.

Also, from what I've found, ground transportation can be pretty pricey, unless you're cool with riding the buses. Don't know if flying into a distant airport is a savings or not.

Cheapest Days to Fly and Best Time to Buy Airline Tickets

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Flight Options

Hi:

When you figure out your flight options just remember that this is not a small island. You need to figure in the cost of transportation to your final destination. As an example to take a taxi from the airport in Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas in about $200us one way. My point is look at the total cost and not just the price of an airline ticket. You are probably better of to fly into Santiago. Jet Blue or Spirit fly there.

LTS