Best Non-Profit or Agency working in the DR?

Aug 21, 2007
Dominican Crossroads, led by Dr. Bob and his wife, Jana, just last week received 501-C3 status from the U.S., making them a legal non-profit. They tackle various volunteer projects from feeding the hungry, to supporting education, to providing medical and diagnostic services for North Coast Haitian refugees. Until now, Dr. Bob and Jana dipped into their own pockets to support their causes. I am sure they will now appreciate the further support that legal status will leverage.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
One of the good things about Progressio (a UK based agency) is that most of their recruits for projects in the DR are from other Latin American countries. Although Peace Corp and other agencies have some great intentions unless the volunteer speaks the language and understands the culture you can spend a lot of time achieving very little.

The Peace Corps Volunteers get 3 months of language, cultural and technical training, plus spend 3 months doing a diagnostic before they even start "working" in their project area. Those who don't know the language well learn it pretty fast, because they are on their own and not with a group of foreigners. In this country, many already speak some Spanish or are even fluent because in some cases that is what their family speaks in the U.S. They spend 2 years living where they work at the level of the people they work with, so all-in-all I would say they have a pretty good understanding of language and culture. As far as achievement, the nature of their work allows them to have closer relationships with people in the community and they have done some great work on many levels.

sflores

Aug 22, 2012
Hello..

I am seeking info. on donors of suits/business appropriate clothing that are willing to donate for a movement that I want to start and hopefully build it as private aid through donations or become a/part of a non-profit or agency. Even get some contacts along the way if possible. I have the location to start this establishment and plan on re-locating to the D.R. (Higuey, Punta Cana area...). I need the contacts that believe in my mission and goals for these young ladies and gentlemen that too have dreams/goals and need the resources to get them on their way to realizing them professionally.

The Mission:

I'm seeking information on any Organizations/Agencies through any Church's or College's that are part of any non-profit sector in Higuey, Bavaro, Punta Cana or even La Romana. My Goal is to Hook Up with any office, agency or organization to get info. to start a non-profit or be a part of a movement to help young women and men that are graduating college or any technical school to get them prepared in the employment sector being it with suits, appropriate work clothing and ethics etc.
Part of my goal is to help young people make a difference in their lives in a confident positive manner possible because I know that there are plenty of young people that want to work and advance themselves and through their education and goals THEY are trying to make a difference!!! I want to help them along the way though any non-profit organization, Agency or Church. I'm looking in these particular sectors of D.R as I plan on re-locating to Higuey and am looking into this venture in the U.S. to try to make as many contacts as possible........any information on this would be greatly appreciated...:nervous: