Best pizza

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i love pizzarelli, unless they have lately put in some pizza makers that don't know what they are doing. i haven't been in about a year so maybe things have changed. also their lasagna is the best i've had in my life, i'm 55 and live in NY most of the time, so i know what i'm talking about. their lasagna is very light as opposed to heavy like what i get in NY. like i said the staff may be changing, there is a lot of turnover and low pay in the fast food biz, and this may be the demise of what i used to think was great pizza. on the other hand, in NY anyway, really good pizza makers are sought after and well paid. i see the greed factor everywhere now with most businesses. for example the glass co. i used to work for, when the price of fuel went sky high a 20$ surcharge was added to our deliveries of large sheets of glass. 20$ per truckload, so the owners of the glass biz raised all their prices 30 - 50%. blaming it on high fuel costs. staff did not see any pay increase. i no longer work for these thieves............

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Went to Pricemart yesterday

Far from a new york thin crust pizza, no resemblance at all.

However it is slightly better than Pizzarelli and pizza hut. Yes is cheaper, but of course most things are due to the 1250peso membership(included a 2nd household card).

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
i love pizzarelli, unless they have lately put in some pizza makers that don't know what they are doing. i haven't been in about a year so maybe things have changed. also their lasagna is the best i've had in my life, i'm 55 and live in NY most of the time, so i know what i'm talking about. their lasagna is very light as opposed to heavy like what i get in NY. like i said the staff may be changing, there is a lot of turnover and low pay in the fast food biz, and this may be the demise of what i used to think was great pizza. on the other hand, in NY anyway, really good pizza makers are sought after and well paid. i see the greed factor everywhere now with most businesses. for example the glass co. i used to work for, when the price of fuel went sky high a 20$ surcharge was added to our deliveries of large sheets of glass. 20$ per truckload, so the owners of the glass biz raised all their prices 30 - 50%. blaming it on high fuel costs. staff did not see any pay increase. i no longer work for these thieves............

Its because they use cottage cheese instead of ricotta :ermm:

You must be Irish :cheeky:

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Boca Chica , though a ride does have some really good pizza places. Makes sense since so many Italians live there now and a majority of the rests. are owned by Italians.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
amparocorp: lasagna is supposed to be heavy - it is made with 3 or 4 levels of meat sauce, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese & parmesan cheese & of course, lasagna noodles.

Tropicdude

May 26, 2009
PriceSmart. As crazy as it sounds is pretty good for New York style pizza. RD$380 or an 18" pizza (Pepperoni or Deluxe). Much better than any of the chains in the DR, imo.

They also have the best fried chicken in the country. Southern style. Big healthy chickens, perfectly fried to crispiness and the flavor of their seasoning is amazing.

Everyone has their favorite type of Pizza thats why there are so many Pizza chains, The Pricemart pizza is very good "mall type" Pizza at a reasonable price.

FYI a Sbarros is opening in SD soon, but I think the Pricemart Pizza is better, from the US pizza chains, I prefer Papa Johns.

If you head up to Las Terrenas, there are some French and Italian owned operations, they have great European style pizza ( very thin crust ).

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
U.S. pizza chains for me

I like to support the independent restaurants, but as far as pizza in SD I have tried them all and prefer Pizza Hut. It's reasonably priced, they had (maybe still have) a deal where you can get a medium pizza for 200 (have to get at least 3) and they always have some kind of special. I hated Pizza Hut in the U.S. but somehow it seems better here (deprivation of junk foods, maybe?).

Back home Papa Johns was my fav to order, so I was excited to check out the new one (I think it's on Lincoln). It cracked me up...like the high class Taco Bell...I was surprised they didn't have cloth napkins! But it was good.