best place for me to relocate?

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I'm calling bulls%#*t on that… I know some of those AI massage ladies and lots of them work on a table under a palapa on the beach…

Lots of them will come back to my casa for 500 pesos also, and perform special techniques.

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
Let's concentrate on relocation and not happy endings. :)

LOL, thanks Bronxboy, I've been lurking here for a while and it seems the threads do tend to get a bit - ahem - sidetracked at times. I am trying to make a careful choice for myself, and I'd be lying if I said things like apagones, no water, etc. aren't considerations. At this point I'm debating just making a decision vs. going down and checking out a few places to see if one resonates with me. Thoughts?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Nanita,

First, welcome to DR1!

The general advice on this board is that it is usually best to come down for as long as you can comfortably afford, and try various places out. People who "had" to live right on the beach now are much happier somewhere in Cibao, where the temperatures are milder and they can get to an actual mall with a movie theater in minutes. Others move out of the big cities into the campos.

The point is, what you think you want prior to arrival may be very different from what actually makes you happy. To figure that out, you need time and patience.

In DR, it is incredibly easy to buy and exceptionally difficult to sell property. Rent until you're sure, then rent some more.

It's best to take between six and twelve months to learn the lay of the land prior to opening a business. If you want to teach classes, do it for someone else. Yes, there's next to no money in it, but you'll learn how the business works in the DR context (which can be very different from what you already know.) That will help increase your odds for success when you finally step out on your own.

It's great you have an online business. Most non-pensioner non-financially independent folk don't, and all too often find there's way too much month left at the end of their money.

Once you figure a realistic budget, double it for at least the first year. In addition to your initial set-up costs (furnishings, transportation, etc...), you'll initially be tempted to live in a semi-touristy manner, which can be expensive. You'll also make rookie mistakes (and will be taken advantage of a little bit), so you need to plan accordingly. You'll also find yourself fiending for something that reminds you of home, which often manifests in unplanned trips back home, or unnecessary visits to IKEA, or expensive meals at whatever fast-casual spot you probably didn't go to that much back at home.

No worries, whatever you don't spend will still be there after the first year.

Either way, good luck!

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Nanita,

People who "had" to live right on the beach now are much happier somewhere in Cibao, where the temperatures are milder and they can get to an actual mall with a movie theater in minutes.

I agree the heat can be an issue. I am from a climate that is hotter then here sometimes of the year but there is AC everywhere. I have been to some places here that take advantage of the breeze. Other places are not designed as well and are hot. Of course if you need AC the cost is another issue.

If you only visit the beach it is nice you have so many options and so many prices range. There are a lot of short term rentals here from small apartments to villa, non inclusive hotels and all inclusive hotels.

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
Thanks DRob, this is very good advice. Being Canadian, the idea of living on the beach is very appealing… but in fact I have always lived in cities and towns in Latin America.

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
Thanks texan, although I HATE the cold, it's true that the heat can be oppressive… I'm still leaning towards Santiago, based on: slightly milder weather, amenities, ability to get to know middle-class Dominicans, more diversified economy that might make working easier… am I off-base?