Best place to exchange currency in Distrito Nacional?

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Thanks so much.

By the way, how accepted is USD in Santo Domingo? I'm assuming the bodegas wouldn't take it, but my banker back home (a Dominican woman) said they take it everywhere and even prefer it, although I think she thought I was going to a resort.
I suggest paying in pesos. When you pay in USD you incur the risk of the merchant providing a poor rate. While this may not be an issue once or twice, it can become a nuisance if you live here. As someone already wrote, withdraw from an ATM. You tend to get a very good rate. Also, I used the casa de cambio on the Conde for years, and always got a very favorable exchange. However, the ATMs simply work better.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Most places will give you a good rate....

Supermarkets etc.... lots of places
Just fix a rate in your head and stick to it
I have to disagree with you on this one. For those who live here and change funds with some regularity, you are losing by changing at the point of sale. The merchant is making money on the spread to your disadvantage. Moreover, this marks you as a tourist. You and I, for example, have absolutely no reason to pay USD, except where we must such as for a real estate purchase. In this event, you are negotiating the spread in advance and paying through your lawyer's trust account after agreeing to the amount in advance.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
No Supermarket gives anywhere near a "good rate". Some people would not know a good rate if it hit them in the head.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Doc & SKY
I don't do that often - emergencies only

Our poster is low on cash, sort of a desperate situation (as I read it)

Just like grabbing 300 pesos at the airport exchange.... arriving in anew country , many do that to get started
Just convert a bit (I can see SKY fuming now) to get started.

all in all -- ATM is the answer -- as we all said earlier

but we lumber on ......

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Doc & SKY
I don't do that often - emergencies only

Our poster is low on cash, sort of a desperate situation (as I read it)

Just like grabbing 300 pesos at the airport exchange.... arriving in anew country , many do that to get started
Just convert a bit (I can see SKY fuming now) to get started.

all in all -- ATM is the answer -- as we all said earlier

but we lumber on ......

Sky understands this and is not fuming. For small money OK. Nothing to do with this, but take a look at DR1 news on Playa Grande today.