Best Places for a Single Male (gay) to travel in DR (besides Santo Domingo)

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
if YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A GAY EXPERIENCE LIFESTYLE DONT CHOOSE CABARETE! ! YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Poor KJS he was only asking for some assistance and has been confronted by all sorts aggression that is not warrented..I can understand completely that he would feel more comfortable with his own sexually orietated people ..I think that Punta Cana would be a great place as wellas Cabarete .In Punta Cana there definitely is a gay friendly hotel but I cannot remember the name or where I saw it advertised .Maybe you will have to google it

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You are looking to explore, so just fly over, rent a car and hit a few destinations. Try inland as well, people see much of the coasts but it is quite lovely when you head inland also.
As for the gay factor, well obviously the ex pat community is slightly more phobic than any native you will meet, anywhere. Enjoy!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As for the gay factor, well obviously the ex pat community is slightly more phobic than any native you will meet, anywhere. Enjoy!

What goes for the tourist areas hardly goes for the rest of the country and those who assume otherwise could get in trouble. In the tourist areas it is telling that just about everything is for sale. For those who think of the DR as "gay friendly" you ought to see what many people are saying about Los Due?os de Circo. While many youth in the DR associate "progression" with what happens in the States there are still many, many people of a conservative nature who are offended by over the top displays of homosexual tendencies. Anybody who has lived anywhere but the tourist areas would know this. This is a majority Catholic country and while maybe not everyone goes to church they follow the long held Catholic tradition of seeing homosexuality as something "not normal".

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Cabarete is a fine place to go, and Kite beach is beautiful. The thing about Cabarete is that there are a lot of people of all races, religions and sexual persuasions, so unless you want to stand out, you wont. If you're looking for companionship, I couldn't answer that one, I have no clue about the " gay " life in Cabarete. I have met some people who were , and they enjoyed the beaches, the clubs and the other tourist traps of the city. It's a decent place.

Really, personally, I don't think your sexual preference would make a difference on whether or not you enjoy yourself in Cabarete. I think it's more about the individual.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
CHIP, that goes for anywhere else. I promise you in my old village on the borders of Scotland, if two guys for to be seen holding hands or kissing they would be very unlikely to walk away, more likely strung up. The same goes for most small towns and villages in the UK or Spain. Simply not accepted, right or wrong.
I've seen some real camp guys here who parade themselves around like right ponces almost asking for trouble some may say, and elsewhere I dare say they would have had issues. To this day I have never seen any negativity towards gays from natives, only ever from foreigners, and usually Americans.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
CHIP, that goes for anywhere else. I promise you in my old village on the borders of Scotland, if two guys for to be seen holding hands or kissing they would be very unlikely to walk away, more likely strung up. The same goes for most small towns and villages in the UK or Spain. Simply not accepted, right or wrong.
I've seen some real camp guys here who parade themselves around like right ponces almost asking for trouble some may say, and elsewhere I dare say they would have had issues. To this day I have never seen any negativity towards gays from natives, only ever from foreigners, and usually Americans.

No offence but it seems fairly common that gringos associate tolerance with acceptance. Dominicans are more tolerant than Westerners about such displays as well as many other things. However, the danger is someone misinterprets this tolerance to mean that most Dominicans accept this form of lifestyle or worse even practice it. Dominicans aren't generally good at handling confrontation and that's why many go over the top if you cross the line. The thing is in the tourist areas there is no "line" but in the other areas there certainly is.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No offence but it seems fairly common that gringos associate tolerance with acceptance. Dominicans are more tolerant than Westerners about such displays as well as many other things. However, the danger is someone misinterprets this tolerance to mean that most Dominicans accept this form of lifestyle or worse even practice it. Dominicans aren't generally good at handling confrontation and that's why many go over the top if you cross the line. The thing is in the tourist areas there is no "line" but in the other areas there certainly is.

I think that is exactly right..... tolerating and accepting are entirely different.

Other countries may tolerate, accept and even embrace some behaviour.....

You always need to be aware of where you are in the world..........

Some places still cut off your hand for stealing...
Stone women to death for nonsanctioned sex....

Life's complicated......

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
No offence but it seems fairly common that gringos associate tolerance with acceptance..

Tolerance is a temporary state of mind, acceptance is a concept you will never change. I accept homosexuals as it something that will never change, whether I am against the lifestyle or not. I am tolerant towards the litter situation here, as I see a day it will change, but for now it is tolerated. I think people accept homo's here as they know it not to be something that will change. I think this goes for anywhere in the world, where it is not illegal people are coming around and the closets are breaking down, bit by bit. But homosexuality here is widespread, nothing out of place so.................

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Tolerance is a temporary state of mind, acceptance is a concept you will never change. I accept homosexuals as it something that will never change, whether I am against the lifestyle or not. I am tolerant towards the litter situation here, as I see a day it will change, but for now it is tolerated. I think people accept homo's here as they know it not to be something that will change. I think this goes for anywhere in the world, where it is not illegal people are coming around and the closets are breaking down, bit by bit. But homosexuality here is widespread, nothing out of place so.................

Homosexuality is nothing new. What we do know is that it is not genetic, it is environmental.

Also, assuming homosexuality here is widespread is just a myth. It has become more accepted by the youth as anything from the US is considered progressive but there are still a majority who disapprove. You are a gringo like myself and have lived in areas where tourists frequent so you are a target for opportunist Dominicans to make a buck. Sadly, apparently most gringos come here just for the sex so they play the odds and assume that's all gringos are interested in.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Homosexuality is nothing new. What we do know is that it is not genetic, it is environmental.

Also, assuming homosexuality here is widespread is just a myth. It has become more accepted by the youth as anything from the US is considered progressive but there are still a majority who disapprove. You are a gringo like myself and have lived in areas where tourists frequent so you are a target for opportunist Dominicans to make a buck. Sadly, apparently most gringos come here just for the sex so they play the odds and assume that's all gringos are interested in.

It isn't a myth Chip, I see it around me. Also I have lived in tourist areas when I fist arrived here several years ago but by far have spent most of my time living in none touristy places with my Dominican family surrounded by Dominicans and so absorbing it all, as the natives live and with the different types that there are (well apart from a few months in Bavaro last year which is obviously touristy and so hence my brief attempt to fit in there).
Like I said we have different experiences, but I say that I come across more homo's here on a typical none touristy night down a colmado or in the bars around town than anywhere in Europe. That is simply a fact and nothing at all to do with touristy places, I don't hang or live in a touristy place, whatever preconceived idea you have about how and where I live, forget it, I haven;t seen a whore, tourist or paid more than 45 pesos for a beer in many months, but I have seen quite a few homo's around. Majority against it? I expect you are right, most countries in the world are majority against homosexuality, that's just the way it is. I doubt anyone would cop flack for being a homo anywhere though, which is the point of the posting, no?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Hot Spot

...Again primarily I want to visit other places in DR besides Santo Domingo. (...) I suppose me being gay isn't that important, but it is a factor.

It certainly is.
Thus I'd avoid San Cristob?l...

[video=youtube;ndJizaL6mAc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ndJizaL6mAc[/video]

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I am glad to see that there is one person in the world that has proof that homosexuality has absolutely nothing to do with genetics. Was that written in your favorite book?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I am glad to see that there is one person in the world that has proof that homosexuality has absolutely nothing to do with genetics. Was that written in your favorite book?

Sometimes all it takes is a good shot to the head.

Former British rugby player Chris Birch: My 2005 ?stroke turned me gay? - NY Daily News

BTW, his favorite book doesn't recognize genetics. The U S government funded the Human Genome Research Program by telling the flatworlders that the money would be used looking for Noah's Ark.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Chip, do you REALLY believe that??? I'm sorry, but I disagree.

There were several little boys [neighbors, cousins of cousins, etc.] that I grew up with, and they were 'different'. From when they were little - and I mean like 5-6 years old - they wanted to play Barbies with me and not trucks and GI Joe with my brother. Every one of them is a gay man today. Most had male siblings who are NOT gay, so how can you call it environmental when they were all raised in the same homes by the same parents?

As far as Dominicans, my husband had a older cousin [now deceased] who was gay. I adored him, as did the whole family. He was respected, not ostracized, no whispers behind his back, everyone actually looked forward to seeing him because he was such an interesting and fun person. If he were alive today, he'd be in his early 70's, so this acceptance is not something 'new' with Dominicans, certainly nothing to do with American tolerance.

AE

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Hey KJS,

my name is Frank. i used to work at the "Garage"(40 east Long Street, in Columbus, Ohio for several years and "London Pub" (RosenKrantz Gate.) in Oslo, Norway for several years as well. Stop into Jose O'shay's in Cabarete and ask for me when you get here. i don't care if you like donkey's (I've seen a few good looking ones lately), my girlfriend and i will hang out with you and have a beer or coffee.

My best friend in Columbus, Ohio (where i went to college--OSU) was an All-American and played NCAA Division I football on a full ride/scholarship. he's 6'4, 260. he thought he was gay when he was 7, strongly supected it when he 11, was absolutely convinced of it when he was 14, but waited until after graduating college before coming out of the closet. I'm always highly amused when he and I are sitting around watching football together in a bar and people around us start making gay jokes and comments. He's such a good sport and starts laughing along with strangers and says, "Yeah, those faggots don't know nothing about football!!"

In Columbus, Ohio, i used to have professional baseball and basketball players come into the bar (we were the biggest gay nightclub in Columbus, Ohio other than the Eagle) and sit at the bar with sunglasses and hats on and try to blend in. i got to know a couple of them quite well and a few of them had families (this was during the 80's). if you had asked any of them when they strongly suspected that they were gay, you would have found out that most of them knew it, or suspected it, when they were 5, 6, 7, years old.by the time they were 13 and 14 years old, however, they very strongly suspected it. and by the time they were 17,18, and beyond, they knew it.

All i care about is that your nice, smart, and can hold an intelligent, rational converstion without resorting to pontificating about religion, bestiaity, (unless it involves donkeys) or conspiracy theories.

PS. just do me one huge favor before you leave the USA...bring to me anything that involves the combination of chocolate & penaut butter and i will buy you beers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love, Frank

Frank