Betting shops on every corner

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Banca-Apuestas-Listin-Diario.jpeg

The slogan of one betting shop company is “We manufacture millionaires.” Many Dominicans believe that is so and hope to be one of those millionaires. El Dia reports that according to the Ministry of Hacienda, there are 70,193 betting shops operating in the Dominican Republic, according to their registration. There are more betting shops than colmados in neighborhoods. The Ministry of Hacienda says these have contributed RD$2.3 billion, up 12.2% from the tax contributions made in 2022.

Sociologist Carlos Andujar says the spread of the betting shops feeds off the dream of Dominicans that see in gambling a quick way out of poverty. Advocates of the sector say it provides thousands of jobs.

Read more in Spanish:El Dia

27 May 2024

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
I've often joked that here in POP every corner has a mix of bancas, salons, dentists, and abogados!

Big

Apr 24, 2019
30 years ago, there was a popular public service announcement in Atlantic City N.J "bet with your head not over it", It rings true today. I place bets on sports and cock fights. Like rum, ice cream and beach sun, too much will kill you. It is adult entertainment. Moderation is key.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Betting shops... nothing is going to change. People will do with their money whatever they wish.

Regards,

PJT

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I was just wondering ...who owns all those betting shops?...........
There's quite a few big ones; many more are mom and pops. Think about it: You put up a little shack, and wait for people to start giving you money.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Is this just a sign of the desperation of the poor being further sucked on to earn profits for those who are not desperately poor?

Gambling is a momentary distraction away from the real issues of daily life. Unfortunately, a distraxction that only serves to cause further issues for most participants.