Between Sosua and Puerto plata Car Swindlers on the Road

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
In Puerto Plata, a moto tried to wave us to the side by pointing at the wheel area of the car. We stopped a little while later and there was not a problem.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Can

I guess if someone throws a coconut to your car while driving, the impact will be quite strong. And there will be severe damages to the car. So I hardly beleive that coconut story, maybe it happened with a banana...

It's worse in Canada when you run "over" a Moose, makes a hell of a thunk!:devious:
After that, a coconut or banana is tropical dreaming.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
this is not at all what I expected when I saw the OP subject

It aboslutely sounds like an urban legend. The coconut is an especially colourful touch, much more interesting than a rock.

What I expected the message to say is watch out for the car dealers along the Puerto Plata/Santiago route. They are in fact notorious for welding the remains of front end wrecks to the remains of rear end wrecks, painting them shiny and then selling them to unsuspecting buyers who might not notice the uneven (and dangerously fragile) frame until they start going through tires like water or worse, until one of the frame weld points surrenders to one of the many Cibao potholes from hell.

Sounds like an "Urban Legend", or internet "True Story" to me!
If you can say that it happened to you personally, I'll believe you.
Other than that, "Not-So-Much"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
When you hit a dog, or a small child, it sounds just like a coconut!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't know about the coconuts, but their are people on that stretch of road that will flag you down and tell you there is something wrong ect..... It has happened to a couple of friends of mine. Another one that they do is ride up next to you on a moto and squirt oil in your wheel well and then flag you over telling you something is wrong and they'll help you ect... These events do occur.

This absolutely does happen. They tried that with me several months ago.