Beware of people offering hand cleaning samples!

May 29, 2006
Scopolamine seems unlikely as a drug for crime use, but I remember reading that many drugs can be introduced trans-dermally by mixing them with DSMO and then rubbing it into the skin. There are plenty of drugs out there that can cause memory loss like rohypnol, so if the scam is real, this could be another candidate if it were mixed with DSMO first. Who knows? Maybe it's some traditional potion using an alkaloid that hasn't been stolen by the pharma companies yet. Curare?

But how could someone use an ATM card without the PIN number?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Scopolamine seems unlikely as a drug for crime use....

However unlikely you may think it sounds, it is ACTUALLY being used.
When and if you visit Colombia, ask around, speak to a few people.
Ask the cops, hookers, lowlife, they will tell you about it.
Go visit the botanical gardens in Bogota etc and you will see it growing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i dunno about the scam but i always have manitas limpias with me. and in my car.
and the only free samples i take are the one handed over in the farmacia, by sellers from different lab (part of the job).
having said that apart from the meds i do not remember ever being offered free sample of anything anywhere in DR.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I was a victim of this in Bogota, Colombia in 2008. Drugged and found in the street by police miles away from where I was. Not a joke or embellishment. I'm fine now, no missing organs or anything, just a robbery, but not a situation that I'd wish on anyone.

I truly hope that this drug hasn't arrived in the DR. I hope that it doesn't grow there. It's a very dangerous drug and can be administered in many ways, and very innocently. Take heed to the warning, just in case.

Did you write about this experience on some other site? I remember reading something similar somewhere, I just don't remember where.

If it was you, you should copy and paste the whole thing on the new DR1 Colombia site, or even here in the off-topic section. I recall it was very concise and well-written.

People need to know about this.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
half truths hoaxes

Disagree. I personally know people that have been drugged with Scopolamine in Colombia.
Ask any Colombian in Colombia and they will tell you all about it.

Why wouldn't it be in the DR?

Scopolamine is very real. The issue is with the method (percutaneously) that is being posted/reported. Even though it is well-absorbed by the skin, therefore good method for medicinal purposes (slow & controlled), that in itself makes it very inefficient method for criminal purposes.

Burundanga (Scopolamine) is been covered extensively in the Colombian media, including its variant included hoaxes.

First, most if not all victims are well chosen- not random, but cased. Second, the most common (if not all) method is orally (food and or drink), other reported methods have been burundanga laced coke ("blow") but you can end up killing the "buyer". Most victims are targeted in night-life businesses that are not well controlled (security) and or whose owners are "near-sighted", by "teams" whose modus operandi is Burundanga.

There have been many Scopolamine email hoaxes circulated by the fear mongers or without malice by the uninformed in Colombia for years now. Some even in the US. It seems the hoaxes are making their rounds in the DR now. Here are some samples:

snopes.com: Burundanga Business Card

Conclusion: Again, I agree with CC.

Last edited:

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Pictures

Article:

Is there a drug called burundanga used by criminals in Colombia to incapacitate their victims? Yes.

Do sources confirm that burundanga is being used to commit crimes in the United States and other countries? No, they do not.

Numerous stories, circulating since 2008, are almost certainly a fabrication. Two details betray it as such:

The victim allegedly received a dose of the drug by simply touching a business card. (All sources agree that burundanga must be inhaled or ingested, or the subject must have prolonged topical contact with it, in order for it to have an effect.)
The victim allegedly detected a "strong odor" coming from the drug-laced card. (All sources agree that burundanga is odorless and tasteless.)"

Here are picture(s) I snapped back in 2009 of Borrachero trees (burundanga) in the mountains of Santa Marta, Colombia near a hamlet/village called Machete Pelao:

Devil's Trumpets:
pp263.jpg

Guerrillas/Tourists beware:
pp266.jpg

Jul 4, 2010
The Serpent and the Rainbow is based on the story of the use of Datura in Haiti over 20 years ago.

My friend and colleague Melita, a renown folk healer south of San Juan de La Maguana, had the most outlandish conversation with her 'Misterios', represented on her altar mostly by the icons of Catholic Saints. One day, I accidentally discovered that she would ingest an infusion prepared with among other things the white trumpet flowers known locally as 'campanitas'. I strongly advised her to drop the habit. I mentioned her advancing age, and the fact that the flowers has a potent alcaloid that could affect her heart. She didn't heed my warning, and died from a massive heart attack.

Last edited:

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
But how could someone use an ATM card without the PIN number?

Easy, in Bogota after you have been Burundangadized, usually between 10 PM and before midnight, you go for a car ride with your new "friends" you visit numerous isolated ATM's, while they wait in the car, you withdraw until you reach that day's limit and after midnight the next day's limit. Up to two million Colombian pesos (COP) or more can be involved. This is called in Colombian vernacular "El paseo millonario"- "The Millionaire's Trip"

Next you will invite them to your apartment/hotel for a night cap where you will give away your laptop, more cash, cellphone, furniture, travelers checks, watch, etc...

Next you accompany them to a remote part of town or park where you offer them your clothing/shoes as a gesture of good will, bid farewell and call it a night.

Next day you are awaken on a park bench or building stoop by the National Police as you look too "clean" to be a bum, and don't remember your night out on the town and how nice you was.

P.S. the abbreviated (just ATMs) "El paseo millonario" can also be conducted at gun point. You you can see why the scopolamine/Burundanga, "The puppet", version is more potentially lucrative and easier.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Does it grow in the DR?

Borrachero Tree (Morning Glory) grows outdoors from South America as north as US zone 9 (St Augustine, Fl- Houston Tx)

It is available from nurseries in the US...

Beautiful flowers, many different shaded trumpets- pinks whites.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As I Said before,I'll say again,after 25 years in the dept of anesthesia at the "Mass General Hospital,in Boston Mass,..........................
"BULL$HIT"!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PS,one can live for several days without "Kidneys"!
The "Disappearing "Kidney" story is also "BULL$HIT"!

"P" PS. Your wife,OBVIOUSLY" a Dominicana,sold her neckless.The "I was robbed of my "Gold Chain,or 10,000 pesos!"story has "Wiskers" in the DR!

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
As I Said before,I'll say again,after 25 years in the dept of anesthesia at the "Mass General Hospital,in Boston Mass,..........................
"BULL$HIT"!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PS,one can live for several days without "Kidneys"!
The "Disappearing "Kidney" story is also "BULL$HIT"!

"P" PS. Your wife,OBVIOUSLY" a Dominicana,sold her neckless.The "I was robbed of my "Gold Chain,or 10,000 pesos!"story has "Wiskers" in the DR!

Just checking...By bull$hit you mean the DR handiwipe/necklace (percutaneously) stories, correct? Not bull$hit that scopolamine/Burundanga exists, and is used in food & drink by criminal elements in Colombia...
Just trying to clarify your post.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Ya it sounds illogical to me. If they are handing out these samples in public malls and busy shopping areas how quick would it have to work to immobilize someone in order for this scam to work? Would the person immediately feel ill and pass out near by? If this was the case, then being in a public area this would cause too much drama for it to remain a secret for long what they were up to... and if the supposed drug was to have a delayed reaction would they then have to have co-conspiritors follow the victims around waiting for them to become immobilized? Also not likely to happen very easily in a busy public area. I lived in Chicago during the 1980's and there was a common scam being pulled there where women were being chloroformed in the shopping mall restrooms which were located in hallways that lead out to underground parking garages or back alleys....and dragged out to be kidnapped and raped. This was a real scenario and it was being pulled off in a public place but out of the public eye. This hand cleanser scam doesn't sound legit to me. Just my 2 cents.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Scopolamine was first synthesized by a German scientist in the late 19th century and used for various purposes throughout the years, so this drug is for real. And yes, criminals use it to incapacite their victims, but how popular is its use outside of Colombia is difficult to say.

It has to processed into powder form, and that takes expertise. I don't doubt that this thing could catch on in the DR due to the narco ties the island has with Colombia. People tend to bring their bad habits with them wherever they go. If it does, it will have much more dire affects on tourism than any other type of extortion scams out there now.