Beware of PN in the Capital........roaming gangs of theives

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
something verry similar happened to me by El Faro A Colon in the middle of the day.

I was driving with 2 friends of mine both female and from out of town. I was looking for the entrance to El Faro a Colon. when I made a turn and a cop (PN) and a buddy of his stoped me on a motorcicle. My first thaught was to run them over but since I was unarmed and really had no clue of how to get out of there, I stoped.

The policeman asked me for my license and whatnot everything was in order but still they said I would have to go down to the station with them. I refused and told them that I was gonna resolve this situation right here and now. I gave the guy 500 pesos and I demanded that he show me the entrance to El Faro although he wanted 1,500.

I think I still should have ran his azz over.

ARE YOU CRAZY ARE YOU NUTS!!!!! WHY would you do that??? 500 pesos, when 20 should have been enough, you are spoiling it for everyone.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Sorry I'm an occasional visitor, not a resident, so pardon my ignorance, but why do they have so many different police?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
If they still ask me for my papers, I give them a sheet of paper that is a copy of my license, cedula, registration and insurance card. All on one piece of paper.

This is THE BEST THING to do and to have. I do this when there even though I'm on a rental. I never give them originals. I make copies. I also have a copy of my passport on hand.

Sep 19, 2005
you know maybe I have been more lucky than I think...because the only paper I ever have for my rental is the agreement from the rental company...there never is any registration for the car in it. and i never ever carry my passport around...and now i keep only copies of my drivers license in my "dr" wallet.

I remember the last time I got stop . It was in La Vega going to the carnival.. and it was a camo clad dude with an automatic rifle....and he only asked for dollar!!!!!!!...but i just reached in and pulled a 100 peso note and gave it to him, because I was worried about the negotiation continuing until the higher ranking guy came over....I wanted to move on fast!!!

I guess they dont ask for that much.....

we have paid over 2000 pesos to guys that were either Park rangers or said they were park rangers....there were more than 6 of them. 2 high ranking guys and their heavies.... We were hunting, but we were legal except for the fact that I didnt have a license....seems very few people actually even bother..although my buddy always has one... we even had to kick in some ammo for the heavies . We paid a little one day, then they came back with more buddies the second day and we paid heavy.....

bribes so we didnt have to "go to the headquarters" to "sort it all out"

if they know you want something...they will make you pay for it.....

Of all the police there, who has the most authority??

is there one class of police the other respect or stay clear of?....

bob

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
I have a question

suppose its 2 - 3am and im on la avenida george washington (el malecon) and PN has a checkpoint.

since i know that PN reall has no right to stop vehicles I decide to keep going.

will they chase me?

Sep 19, 2005
suppose its 2 - 3am and im on la avenida george washington (el malecon) and PN has a checkpoint.

since i know that PN reall has no right to stop vehicles I decide to keep going.

will they chase me?

that may give them the idea you are their best chance at a drug bust!!!

I personally cant fathom, them letting you just do that with out some re action............

bob

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
DR wallet

laurapasinifan,

I also have a DR wallet this is where i carry my driver license and all my high ranking offical cards.

Same thing happened to me en el malecon PN stoped me and said that all the car papers were missing all I had was the rental aggreement.

when he asked me for my license i took it out gently and he saw my wallet I flashed my "officers brother" sheild the cop asked me if I was in the military, of course I said no but still there was the fact that I was driving with no insurance card or any papers to the car exept the rental aggreement

the guy let me off with RD$40.00. and said "usted parece un hombre serio".

so i happily went on my way to the cabanas by MetalDom.
lol

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
laurapasinifan,

I also have a DR wallet this is where i carry my driver license and all my high ranking offical cards.

Same thing happened to me en el malecon PN stoped me and said that all the car papers were missing all I had was the rental aggreement.

when he asked me for my license i took it out gently and he saw my wallet I flashed my "officers brother" sheild the cop asked me if I was in the military, of course I said no but still there was the fact that I was driving with no insurance card or any papers to the car exept the rental aggreement

the guy let me off with RD$40.00. and said "usted parece un hombre serio".

so i happily went on my way to the cabanas by MetalDom.
lol

NO WONDER these guys think they can harass you guys like that and I hope they keep doing it to you.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I think the most important things we can learn from this thread, is:

- Have you paperwork in order for heaven's sake! :ermm:
- Don't back down and insist on what is right!
- But never, ever back these fellows into a corner. Always leave them a way to get out while saving face. Let them make the decision to 'let you go!'

I personally won't pay a dime unless there is simply no other way out. I'll offer a beer, I'l even offer to share a meal, I'll make a date, but I won't pay.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Robert said:
Ask for their badge numbers and also write them down before you offer any documentation, watch them run like cockroaches.
Very good point robert. I will try that next time.
AZB
Maybe a good time to use your cell phone camera while you're at it. Photo evidence. Or prop your camcorder on the dash...turned on... :cool:

yogibear

Jan 27, 2007
worried

reading this thread sometimes the dominican republic sounds like the wild west the police stopping you for money the xpats carrying guns my dominican wife would like us to move over there one one day but i am not shore

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Have you ever been to Toronto??

In reading this thread it makes you really look at where you are right now. I have no idea if any one on here has been or lives in Toronto, but we get allot of the same thing,( and don't say we don't when you know we do, they just do it more "pollitley"), as in the DR. Not to mention what it is like when you travel in Europe. So to read that someone may/or may not want to move to the DR due to this post is a little off to me. Look at the news from Toronto or many US cities . Everyday there are shootings, 101 year old women being beaten and mugged for $30, people sneaking into schools to try to harm and molest children, only to be ( if caught at all), let out as the most recent case in British Columbia where they have let out 66 know sex predators due to "overcrowding". These 66 where all denied parroll but are out roaming around free as a bird. But just so all are aware, the people in for DUI or break and enter are all safe and locked up. Only in Canada!! Anyway in my opinion the DR is no worse than where you are now. Possibly better. At least you know most carry guns and if someone has done something they really should be in jail for I doubt highly that they would get out like up here. Just my thought so if anyone is "offended" sorry. Have a great day.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Breathalyzers...

I hope they are going to the Amet and not the PN... Othervise it will be just another tool to screw people...

Only once have i met real bad people in the AMET (in SD)... In the PN I have never met a human being... Only interest PN have is money (for themselves).

Ant

Feb 1, 2002
Policia Nacional

The area on the Malecon past the Hilton is notorious for police pullovers. There is another group on Maximo Gomez right before you get to the Malecon. I, too, have been pulled over twice on the Malecon within minutes of the first encounter. I never get overbearing and I also believe if you have done nothing wrong and stand your ground you will be fine. Also, I keep the 24-hour number for the U.S. embassy and have been known to call so they can "translate" for me. Works every time (or at least when someone answers who can speak Spanish).

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
reading this thread sometimes the dominican republic sounds like the wild west the police stopping you for money the xpats carrying guns my or maybe dick turpin
Dick Turpin - Highwaymen and Highway Robbery

Vince1956, this quote has nothing to do with the DR. Sometimes you're a pita with your quotes you know!

(OK, I'll go and have a good sleep tonight! Tomorrow I'll have my good humor back)

Last edited by a moderator:

kcgirl

Mar 3, 2007
what about tourist-do they target them?

if they see a rental car- knowing they are tourist visiting for a short time- will they stop them because they know they can intimidate them?
How do you know the good guys from the bad? I was planning a trip and was going to fly into Santo Domingo- now maybe I should pick another island to visit? I know around the larger city the crime sometimes are higher and checking into DR- crime is higher than another island but this sound scary..
We been to several of the Caribbean Islands with very little crime- You just have to be smart...but is DR crime out of control?

Sep 19, 2005
if they see a rental car- knowing they are tourist visiting for a short time- will they stop them because they know they can intimidate them?
How do you know the good guys from the bad? I was planning a trip and was going to fly into Santo Domingo- now maybe I should pick another island to visit? I know around the larger city the crime sometimes are higher and checking into DR- crime is higher than another island but this sound scary..
We been to several of the Caribbean Islands with very little crime- You just have to be smart...but is DR crime out of control?

crime against a tourist isnt out of control....it probably isnt that bad really.....any incident is widely piblicized and may make it seem more abundant than it really is.

traffic stops while in your car could happen....as a tourist they might try to get some pesos out of you, but I seriously doubt you would be in any danger....

I have been stopped many times and I would guess that it is about 50-50 that they let me go because I am a tourist , vs, they shake me down....

some dont want to deal with your poor spanish...and just let you go....

I would be more worried about driving the rental car..and the huge unknowns that can bring to a VACATION experience.

good luck

bob

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
some dont want to deal with your poor spanish...and just let you go....

bob
Ain't that the truth.

I got pulled over in Santiago at that god awful intersection of Sadhala and Argentina, going north on Sadhala. A really tall box truck was in front of me and I couldn't see the light-I just stayed close and followed him through-a red light. The AMET guy saw it, and motioned me over. Mom CB and Alida (my fiance Santiaguera who looks like a gringo) were in the car. I rolled the window down and gave him the sheet with a copy of my passport, FL drivers license and birth certificate on it. I acted like I had no clue what he was saying; Alida was silent. He called a street vendor over to see if he could speak any English (uh huh:cheeky: ); nope. He gave me my stuff back and told the street vendor "They shouldn't let tourists drive if they can't speak Spanish".

Sometimes being a "stupid tourist" has it's advantages...

abduke23

Mar 7, 2007
Some Notorius police checkpoints (Zona Oriental):
1) San Vicente ave esquina Puerto Rico
2) Carretera Mella "esquina" Carretera de Mendoza (in front of Nevesa)
3) Anywhere along the San Vicente going towards or coming from the "Puente de la 17"
4) Aut. San Isidro prior to reaching the Charles de Gaulle ave. (After Eagles Sports Bar and after Crossing the Charles de Gaulle. Towards the Cabanas and away from the cabanas).

If you are flagged down by the cops at night try not to stop unless it's unavoidable, once you pass them look through your rearview mirror in case they decide to follow you and if they do follow, try to stop in a crowded place or police station if possible and apologize for not seeing their order to stop. IMHO it's always best to just take the residential streets rather than taking the main avenues, it's less stressing (no traffic, cops, annoying "carros publicos") and usually quicker than the main roads. It also doesn't hurt to carry around 50-150 bucks in loose change in case you are stopped, remember these guys make less than or around 5500 pesos a month and usually get paid on the 25th of each month and I bet you they don't have any money left by the 26th so empathizing with and making a slight "contribution" to these @#$@#$ isn't always a bad move... Stay safe and please post what works for you...