Big Fire/explosions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well, I for one find it comforting to know this stuff ALSO happens up there on the N. Coast. That may not be a consolation to you guys but it is to me!
What?
It's comforting to know that we burn our sugar cane before harvesting?
Was it causing you anxiety, to think that we didn't?

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
While I'm not a sugarcane expert, I do know that in several places we've lived, the farmers claimed that they HAD to slash burn to be economically viable. It was their way of clearing the fields. However, several US State Extension offices have done studies on slash burning --in particular for the various grass species--which I believe if I'm not mistaken, sugarcane is part of--and found that there are better alternatives. The soil is improved if the left over parts are TILLED into the soil and allowed to compost (which requires some rotation of fields and possibly crop rotation depending on the prevalence of plant diseases or pests). I know people are probably thinking "Oh yeah, right...like that is ever going to happen" but there may be an economic benefit to diversification and there is definitely an environmental benefit.

IF the negative economic externalities of all the pollution and ill health effects of the cane burning where thrust back upon the manufacturers/refineries, you can be sure that they would find a way to not burn. It is possible that if the tourism and upscale housing developers were to organize they could bring this change about much faster than it would happen otherwise.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
While I'm not a sugarcane expert, I do know that in several places we've lived, the farmers claimed that they HAD to slash burn to be economically viable. It was their way of clearing the fields. However, several US State Extension offices have done studies on slash burning --in particular for the various grass species--which I believe if I'm not mistaken, sugarcane is part of--and found that there are better alternatives. The soil is improved if the left over parts are TILLED into the soil and allowed to compost (which requires some rotation of fields and possibly crop rotation depending on the prevalence of plant diseases or pests). I know people are probably thinking "Oh yeah, right...like that is ever going to happen" but there may be an economic benefit to diversification and there is definitely an environmental benefit.

IF the negative economic externalities of all the pollution and ill health effects of the cane burning where thrust back upon the manufacturers/refineries, you can be sure that they would find a way to not burn. It is possible that if the tourism and upscale housing developers were to organize they could bring this change about much faster than it would happen otherwise.

This would be very productive if and only if the compost didn't take away from the new Zafra. Composting takes time and the amount implied here is enormous to say the least...

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Well, whatever. I really wish there could be another way. I'm already thinking of relocating to another area because since I've been here, there's already been a profound negative affect on my respiratory system.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I can only guess.

1. The cost of buying the equipment; 4 wheel drive tractor (with BIG STERIO, lol) with all the attachments: disc tiller, plow, front end loader, harverster, seeder, sprayer and whatever, would be about $200K US. For an average farm tractor.
2. Import fees?
3. Manual (in spanish), special tools and spare parts. A lot of $. (Ever try to take off a 4" bolt or have it break down and need the spare parts.... now?)
4. Who is going to use it and maintain it?
5. Fuel costs?
6. Securing the equipment?
7. New techniques requires new methods, training, mind-set and MONEY. Field rotation, NEW pests/fungus control that needs new chemicals. $$$

Long time since I used and worked on this type of equipment.

As a side thought. What would happen to the local economy/employment?

Not that I like the current way, but who is going to tell them to do differently?

Regards, Ringo

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

Yes but........
Why do you find it comforting that it happens on the North coast ????

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Rocky, I think the poster was just saying that they are comforted to know that they aren't the only ones who have to suffer from the effects of the smoke and debris from the sugarcane burnings. That it's not just on the coast where they are living, but here on the northcoast as well.

Damn, just since the last hour, it's started again. I have to go close up all my windows and doors as I'm already coughing...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky, I think the poster was just saying that they are comforted to know that they aren't the only ones who have to suffer ..
I agree.
I think that's exactly what she means.
And I hope y'all get sick when I do, and if I get robbed, it sure would be comforting if you did too.
Yup...
It's comforting to know that y'all have to suffer too, 'cause it just wouldn't be fair, if I had to suffer, and y'all didn't.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
I agree.
I think that's exactly what she means.
And I hope y'all get sick when I do, and if I get robbed, it sure would be comforting if you did too.
Yup...
It's comforting to know that y'all have to suffer too, 'cause it just wouldn't be fair, if I had to suffer, and y'all didn't.

Yes, I definately get your point Rocky. That really wasn't a nice thing for the poster to say or think. I guess like they say, misery loves company huh?
That's sad. :ninja:

Same is done in Louisiana

The ability of farmers to burn sugarcane is a significant economic factor for the state?s sugarcane industry. Burning of sugarcane before harvest eliminates from 30 percent to 50 percent of the leafy trash (residue) that constitutes from 20 percent to 25 percent of the total weight of the plant.

For example, for a yield of 50 tons of sugarcane per acre, 10 to 15 tons of residue must be removed before milling. Controlled agricultural burning allows more efficient sugarcane harvesting in the field and improves sugar quality and recovery in the factory. The residue contributes very little to the production of sugar and has little or no economic value.

The remainder of the plant consists of stalks from which the sugar is crystallized from the extracted juice in processing. Harvesting burned sugarcane results in less soil being brought to the factory, reduces fuel consumption because less material is transported to the factory and uses less water in washing the crop before milling. Reducing transport within the field lessens soil compaction. Currently, there is no profitable or effective way to deal with this large volume of residue by mechanical means either in the field or at the factory, thus the burn which leaves an ash that is good for the ph content in the soil and thus less crop raotation is necessary.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Thanks for that educational lesson on the process and the need to burn the cane. Have there ever been any statistical studies done on the health affects on people due to the smoke and the ashy residue in the air? Just curious as to just how much harm it's doing to people.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Thanks for that educational lesson on the process and the need to burn the cane. Have there ever been any statistical studies done on the health affects on people due to the smoke and the ashy residue in the air? Just curious as to just how much harm it's doing to people.

Not in the DR, but in Brazil extended studies were made and the findings are disturbing...

Some fields have adapted the use of mechanical means to get rid of the leaf and unusable material off from the harvest.

It's basically economics; the sugar industry will be very reluctant to adopt costly elements for the sake of diminishing respiratory ailments in the areas where they perform these burns.

The same could be said about some trash landfills all over the world.

They reason the ills brought about with burning the fields are outweighed by the gains from it, being that they are short term and a once a year occurrence; unlike other far worst polluters in commercial industry.

Many fields in Brazil have switched operations to fully mechanized cut/gather and clearing of fields. Oddly enough, since they committed to using mechanical means, the local authorities now are seeing more people without jobs and are cautious about forcing this change unto other fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.