Big Spider season ?

Cdncpl

Oct 31, 2007
Cacatas In October

Was in Las Galeras last October and cacatas were everywhere outside of the village. Had 2 walk past my feet while sitting on the terrace within 30 mins one night.... Found them on the road...in the shower... Probably saw a dozen or so in October. Then they seemed to disappear. Locals said they are more active in October because they are breeding. Anyways, if there is a "Season" I would definitely say October is it!

ElizaJ

Oct 15, 2008
i am from another tropical country, but my spouse is Dominican. from my experiece i would say yes and no to the spider season thing, yet your girlfriend is right, TARANTULAS DO COME TO THE HOUSES WHEN IT RAINS TOO MUCH, that is because they make their nest on soil ground, and when it rains the nest gets flooded and that is when they come to refugee inside your home. There are many types of tarantulas the ones i used to handle were non-poisonous, but these kind were capable of a chemical discharge on your body, it makes a severe painful swelling on the affected limps. when i stay en el campo I always do what HILLbILLY suggests in his post.

May 29, 2006
It's true they are more likely to find refuge in an apt or hotel room after a rainstorm but it's not like it's something that is going to happen every day. I think if you had two in a year, it would be considered a lot. Just stay in a second floor room and the chances would be very slim that one find its way into your room. They are not great climbers because they are heavy. I had one once and it was tricky trying to get it out without harming it. I think I had to brush it into a wastepaper can then take it outside.

I was fortunate enought to once actually witness the fight between the big wasp and a tarantula. The wasp won and dragged the spider back to his hole.

I've seen that too in the states. The wasp lays an egg inside the spider and the larva eats its way out. Never knew they could take on a tarantula...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Spider Man

It is normal tropical behaviour to shake out your shoes in the morning. Not only cacatas but centipedes (very nasty biters) like warm, muggy places to sleep.
...... HB

I now have a new nickname, I call myself "Spider Man".

The other day I needed to go outside and in a hurry just threw on my shoes and pants,
...... no shirt and headed toward the garage.

On the way to the living room I grabbed the car keys from my right pants pocket.
I then felt something on my right side and figured it was the cell phone antenna,
that it got dragged up from the keys, and extended up.

I felt the phone and the antenna was not extended, so I continued toward the garage.

Darn, felt something tickling my right side again, so without looking I cupped my right hand and grabbed whatever was there, thinking it was a cockroach or a lizard. I grabbed it and threw it to the ground.

I was quite shock when on the floor laid a tarantula about the size of a half dollar.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When dating my first Dominican wife and staying at her place in the country (Sabana Iglesia), there was always a gigantic tarantula somewhere on the bedroom walls.

She told me to ignore them, that they won't bother me.

Spider Man Don

T809

Mar 8, 2010
Spider season? Ive been here for about 10 months, mostly in the country, i see tarachulas around, but like people have said they arent all over the place, and most evey dominican i know will kill any and all on site. That being said they think they kill people, which they dont unless your allerject to bee stings, cause its similar venum. Also ive now been here just about every month of the year and i dont even remmeber time when tarachulas invaided the house. The only reason we have a few around our place is we just shoo them outside if we see them. Alot of hotels use pesticide and kill big spiders and stuff like that, and ive never seen one on the beach EVER.
The thing that helped me, is i was told to think of trannys as mamals, not spiders. Like a squirrel if you go near it or walk by it it will either sit still or run away, if you step on its tail or grab it, it will bit you and can hurt, same with a tarachula, are you afraid of squirrels? Come on over its really nice here!!!!

EDIT: i just realized this post is 4 years old,, im sorry for ressuecting it =-[

squirrels don't hide in your shoe and crawl on your face at night! but anyways...what you need to watch out for are the CENTIPEDES! OH MY GOD THOSE THINGS ARE SO F(&#(&@# SCARY!!!!!!! they are HUUUGE, they can get to be like a foot long and ive seen youtube videos of one killing and eating a snake that was bigger than it, one that grabbed a mouse and devoured it within a short time and another of one that was eating a bird.

don't believe me? here's the video of it killing and soon to be eating a snake YouTube - A Huge Centipede Fighting A Snake

on this video you can get an idea of how fast they can go, remember this is in sand, they move a lot faster inside your house. YouTube - Scolopendra, the dangerous centipede of Thailand

here's one of it snatching up a mouse and eating almost the entire thing, YouTube - Giant Centipede Eviscerates Mouse

last but not least...to prove my point...here is one killing and eating a BIG ASS TARANTULA YouTube - giant centipede vs tarantula ....be sure to make your girlfriend watch these videos before she comes.

where can you find these in DR? EVERYWHERE! where do they like to hide? anywhere dark warm and moist, like inside your girlfriend while she is sleeping. so your shoes arent the only thing you should check before you're getting ready to do something. might be a surprise in there waiting for you. it's true....it happened. google that sh!*

Reactions: waytogo