Birthrate down in the Dominican Republic

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
One of the reason is the cost of the raising a children have risen all over the world.
Have anybody seen a prices of milk and diapers?!?! And schooling?!?! It was scary expensive 5 years ago and it's even scarier now. We thought about another and there is still talks. But if we fail within my boy hits five the tube will be tied and believe and preach one(two including wife) is too many.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
One of the reason is the cost of the raising a children have risen all over the world.
Have anybody seen a prices of milk and diapers?!?! And schooling?!?! It was scary expensive 5 years ago and it's even scarier now. We thought about another and there is still talks. But if we fail within my boy hits five the tube will be tied and believe and preach one(two including wife) is too many.

Milk is free....and so is schooling in my case. Diapers, yes that's a problem.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The cost has risen but in country like the DR Where you can get help from the extended family, I don't think having 2 or 3 kids is such a big deal. In any case, you adapt.

I can't understand people who have a sole child. I am surrounded by such children, they are a pain in the ass.

May 29, 2006
The Duggers believe that they are mandated to have as many kids as possible by the Bible. They're part of a movement called "The Quiverfull."

Quiverfull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the cost of raising kids, what blows me away is the cost of shoes and clothes. Just about as much as for adults and they grow out of them every three months. $75-$100 for a kid's pair of sneakers?? And soccer/basketball shoes are even more.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The cost has risen but in country like the DR Where you can get help from the extended family, I don't think having 2 or 3 kids is such a big deal. In any case, you adapt.
I can't understand people who have a sole child. I am surrounded by such children, they are a pain in the ass.

i don't understand having more than one when there is not much money. i hated having to share with my brother, from our room to his old clothing i had to wear. i'm still bitter about it.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The Duggers believe that they are mandated to have as many kids as possible by the Bible. They're part of a movement called "The Quiverfull."

As for the cost of raising kids, what blows me away is the cost of shoes and clothes. Just about as much as for adults and they grow out of them every three months. $75-$100 for a kid's pair of sneakers?? And soccer/basketball shoes are even more.

It seems the Duggar's have loads of money, I once saw a documentary about them....industrial kitchen, 3 or 4 huge laundry machines, huge house, big car / vans. If I remember well they are in the real estate business or something. I applaud them for taking the bible seriously, even though I don't think they see it as a mandate to have as many children as possible, but as a blessing to have many children.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

It s a choice. There are plenty of $30 sneakers here. The cost of clothing is expensive but if you know how/where/when to shop it is not that bad. For example, I shop off season (let s say in November I buy summer clothes which makes sense since I will use them in our winter vacations first, then the following summer), I buy brand names for a bargain (never spend more than 10 dollars on any items). The irony is that I see plenty of people who would considered poor with 6-yr old kids sporting $100 Jordan.

I am also part of a Listserv in my neighborhood where we exchange clothes or resell kids related stuff slightly used. Most participants are solid middle class or even upper middle class. Also, people do nanny share and all sort of things.Very convenient.

As a said, you adapt.