Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
In the immortal words of that great philosopher,Rodney King,"
Why Can't We All Just Get Along???
"

We uneducated Dominican, of all shade of colors, get along just find without having to resort to civil war, bombings/maim each other or terrorism unlike (Those super educated Colombian). The same can't be said about the country where you came from.

Point is,I think that if "Intolerance is "Learned",then "Tolerance" can also be learned.
Except when it comes to Dominicans!;):classic:

We are very tolerance, that's why you still live in the DR, unlike your place of birth where people were lynched for their skin color, and where they were considered a quarter of a human.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Ummm...yeah they do all mean black. It would be insulting to call anybody one of those names, except moreno, to their face, except maybe as a term of endearment. If I as a white man called any person I dont know one of those names they would be fighting words.

That will be the case if you or your KKK family members call some AA in the Deep South, but not in the DR. You are confusing the DR with your beloved KKK Deep South.

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
Chip: Youre right

EZ: How many times have you been to the south? You say Im proudly claiming my KKK heritage? Who in my family has married a black person? Me for one.
Didnt "go through NO Jim Crow laws?" in the DR? I may be just a dumb redneck but even we can do a wiki search. There was this dude named Trujillio back in the day he had a state sponsored "Blanquismo" policy. He liked to kill the hell out of people. Go back in time and say "perijil" with a funny accent and then give me a rant on how un race concious the DR is. If you would like to discuss my family in person please by all means PM me so we can meet up.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Genealogy comes into it, my only surprise is that so many Dominicans seem to know so little about their forebears and don't seem interested in finding out

Who in their right mind care about people that died hundreds of years ago!!!!!!!!! Why should I care about my great great great great great great grandfather and mother?

Only White care about that nonsense because they like to prove that they don't have a drop of black blood in them.

In my 5 or so years here the only typical Dominican trait that causes me difficulty and irritation is that I do wish they would speak clearly.

That just show that in 5 years you have not bother to go to school to learn the language. You should be able to understand everything no matter how people speak, it is called getting use to the local idiom.

For me as a septuagenarian Brit I find genealogy fascinating and educational, I now know why the family crest is "winged spurs" and I'm not ashamed but happy they worked because I'm here!

Just because you and every white person love to find out about your genealogy, that does not mean we Dominican have to love to find out too. We have bigger problem to solve before we start caring about that type of hobby/non-sense that will not put food in the plate of those starving.

Of course we have a problem on this thread and also on the whole forum and that is that only well educated Dominicans contribute and sadly they are are a minority in this country.

DR1 cater to expats in the DR, Dominican abroad and those wishing to find information about the DR, not to "educated Dominican". Us Dominican posting here is because we a bilingual or abroad.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Even in my family my favorite aunt we call her "Tia Negra" because she is black, and a uncle that we call "Tio Negro" because he is black.

now I wonder if I can call them that? lol
they probably slap me silly

reversed discrimination?
Manu

Actually everybody call them Negro or Negra, nobody call them by their real names. Once again we are not in your country, this is the DR. Leave your Jim Crow Laws view in your country.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
EZ: How many times have you been to the south?

I now live in Atlanta, Georgia, and I've been living here for ten years now. I've been everywhere in the south.

You say Im proudly claiming my KKK heritage?

Why mentioning that your KKK family members were less race conscious than Dominican? So yes you are proudly parading your KKK family affiliation.

Who in my family has married a black person? Me for one.

I'll bet your family won't talk to you or if they talk to your, they talk about you and your choice of spouse behind your back.

Didnt "go through NO Jim Crow laws?" in the DR? I may be just a dumb redneck but even we can do a wiki search. There was this dude named Trujillio back in the day he had a state sponsored "Blanquismo" policy. He liked to kill the hell out of people. Go back in time and say "perijil" with a funny accent and then give me a rant on how un race concious the DR is. If you would like to discuss my family in person please by all means PM me so we can meet up.

All those people were Haitians not Dominicans

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
I'm just not even gonna say anything I think you've shown who you are and what you are about. Self hating people of color sicken me. By all means please do not hesitate to PM me so we can meet up and discuss my family in private.

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
if dominican rejection of haitians were based on nationalism and not racism, they would have as much problems with white haitians as they have with blacks, but they don't.
furthermore, dominicans also look down on black people who are not haitian, regardless of whether they are african americans, africans or from somewhere in the carribbean. the most obvious indicator for the important role race plays in the dominican republic is the hissy fit you guys throw every time somebody mentions it. we are aware of the fact that there are white dominicans, the point we are making is the fact that their is a social stigma attached to being black, not that all dominicans are black and act as if they weren't.
if dominicans had an inclusive understanding of identity, believing that everybody being born in the dr no matter the color of their skin was an equal member of society, it would be a good thing, and there would be no criticism. this however is not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.