Blackouts in Boca Chica

Aug 31, 2011
Massive thunderstorm went thru here a bit after midnight. Probably blew up a transformer. No power since then.
How's the situation? Driving from Samaná tomorrow (still no power in Samaná) and need to pick up someone at airport Sunday. Going to look for air bnb in PC/to Boca Chica area with washer/dryer AND electricity.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
How's the situation? Driving from Samaná tomorrow (still no power in Samaná) and need to pick up someone at airport Sunday. Going to look for air bnb in PC/to Boca Chica area with washer/dryer AND electricity.
Everything is back to normal, well, normal for BC.

But yea, we got electricity yesterday at about 3 pm, so it was off between 13 and 15 hours. Given the other more serious problems, I'm pleasantly surprised they fixed it so fast. We lost again for 30 minutes last night, but since then, it's been perfect.

Reactions: Bucketowater47

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Update from ZC. Boca Chica borrowed about 4 hours worth of power from Juan Dolio this AM. Power off at noon and still off. I’m staying here in ZC for awhile.
Perhaps a dumb question, but why stay in BC? There are far better places, and some not too far either.

If I were to do a pros and cons comparison I could not come up with too many reasons to live there, although I confess I don't know yours, yet.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Perhaps a dumb question, but why stay in BC? There are far better places, and some not too far either.

If I were to do a pros and cons comparison I could not come up with too many reasons to live there, although I confess I don't know yours, yet.
My Haitian kid’s older brother lives here. So we stay. It’s very important to him.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Be glad you don’t live near me. Every day is 6 hours on, 6 hours off, 6 on, 6 off.
It's the frustration of not knowing how long or why. I guess it's part of the culture because the locals don't seem to mind too much. I did however, here a report a year or so ago of one of the EDE contractor's trucks being set on fire in Andres after no luz there for 48 hours.

• Haha
Reactions: Facepalm Supreme

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's the frustration of not knowing how long or why. I guess it's part of the culture because the locals don't seem to mind too much. I did however, here a report a year or so ago of one of the EDE contractor's trucks being set on fire in Andres after no luz there for 48 hours.
In my case, with EdeSur, I can go online and enter my contract # from our bill and it tells you scheduled hours. Usually fairly accurate.

Reactions: JD Jones

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
We lost luz at 815 this morning. Nothing on the EDE website for maintenance this week. I guess it's just random outages for some quota. 🙄

So about an hour after complaining to EDEestupido that they had no maintenance schedule posted on their website, one magically appears. It said we would lose power from 720 - 1020 today.

We got luz back at about 1115, but we are in brown out conditions. The microwave is not working well at all and the 4 batteries still have not charged. I'm guessing they're still making toast in the shower.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So about an hour after complaining to EDEestupido that they had no maintenance schedule posted on their website, one magically appears. It said we would lose power from 720 - 1020 today.

We got luz back at about 1115, but we are in brown out conditions. The microwave is not working well at all and the 4 batteries still have not charged. I'm guessing they're still making toast in the shower.
I don't miss those days at all.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The batteries have been charged now for at least 30 minutes, probably longer. I can hear our neighbor's AC so we must not be in brown out any more. Stuff in the freezer is good.

I guess I shouldn't bitch given that I'm paying around $18/month, but as an American, it's my heritage.

• Haha
Reactions: Buzz65