Blackouts - Oh yeah baby!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Your post really depresses me Robert. Because my complex used the generator so much because of the long power cuts it broke down. It was SOOOOOOOOOO hot. Can you tell us why you think we are in for longer blackouts Robert?

Forget the price of oil and subsides etc, it comes down to three basic points.

1) The government are not capable of fixing or at least working towards a "real" plan of recovery for the electrical system, history shows us that. They talk a lot and do nothing "real". It's all smoke and mirrors, look no further than the Metro to see how they prioritize.

2) Dominicans are extremely apathetic to these types of problems.
They just take it, people power is almost nonexistent here.

3) Corruption. Dominicans have been screwing Dominicans for years.
Don't blame the Spanish or overseas companies, blame those few Dominicans that took big kick backs to push through ridiculous contacts. e.g Pay for installed capacity, not for power generated. This type of corruption by Dominicans against Dominicans is a bad as ever. It's cultural and will take generations to eradicate.

In my opinion when you combine these three factors, you have no hope of a solution, regardless of the price of a barrel of oil.

I think the only solution is to allow private generation companies to service various sectors, regions etc. They have done it successfully in other regions (Punta Cana / Samana). Why can't it be done in other areas?

How hard is it really? Pick a sector and slowly work through it. Meter everyone and prosecute those that steal. They do it in other 3rd world or emerging world countries, this stuff is not rocket science.

The people in the barrios and small towns know who's stealing and who's hooking up illegal connections. Hand some of the responsibility back to the people. Make people take ownership of their own problems.
Your get as much electric in % terms as what you pay for. You want 100% electric in your barrio, then you better make sure 100% of the people are paying. Given them an incentive to report illegal connections and beat the crap out of the guy that is hooking up people illegally.

It was suggested at a BBQ I was at on the weekend to make the local Banca responsible for collecting for a %. This may sound like a ridiculous idea, but it's a huge step forward from what exists now. The Banca knows everyone and for a % will make sure everyone pays.

Or....

Use a similar system to Colombia. Barrios are rated 1-6, 1 is the poorest and 6 the richest. Everything is pegged against that number. Utilities, housing taxes etc. The rich subsidize the poor and those in the middle pay the going rate. Everyone pays something and everyone gets electricity.

This post is brought to you by Trace!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The joys of private electricity production, Las Terrenas (Samana) is the same.

Tell me, are these overseas companies? I mean, who started the electricity company in Bavaro/Punta Cana?

In our case, Grupo PUNTACANA has 2 generators that produce enough electricity to even sell some to CapCana. When one generator goes out for any technical problem, the other one takes over. The second one started working at the beginning this year and according to what they told us uses a different kind of fuel that it a bit less expensive.

In Bavaro's case, it's a company called CEPEM (sp?) that supplies their electricity. Maybe PJT could give you more information about them...

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I think the only solution is to allow private generation companies to service various sectors, regions etc. They have done it successfully in other regions (Punta Cana / Samana). Why can't it be done in other areas?

The private companies in the east have looked into providing energy to Higuey, but the powers that be can't have that - they'd lose out on the loot.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Gee Bob: It seems you just insulted about half of the world.!! Now anything you do will be damned to he!!. Your effigy will be burned in the streets of the "loin cloth nations" and your name preached as a "satan" that should be gutted wherever you may be!!

Robert and others makes a good point when they say BS to 2012. Anyone that can read the projected goals sees at once that the "supposes" far outweight the "reals". 'Suppose' that the IPP contracts can be renegotiated; 'suppose' that oil prices will be at a certain level; and suppose that the peso/dollar rate will be at a foreseeable level. What a bunch of hooey!

However, I think I can live in a loin cloth and eat bananas. (Chiquita Banana says that "bananas are a perfect food" ...some of us remember-> "I'm Chiquita Banana and I'm here to say, bananas can be eaten almost any way....")

Here is Santiago, the blackouts have, indeed, increased over the past week or so.

HB

Gee Hillbillly sorry to upset you so. Actually one of the reasons I am here is to live in a loin cloth or less and eat bananas and more. However my point was to attract new industry to the DR we need to do somthing about the power or fall behind the world economy even more.

Bob K

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Here in el Seibo the service in comparation with other towns is very very good, yesterday the blackout was for 1 hr. here few people don´t pay the service.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i really cannot understand how such a big country, DR, can have this electr problem for decades. Small country like El Salvador has electr 24x7,, if you don't pay bill, no electr,, just as it should be.

does anyone know how long has DR has this electr problem? Since the beginning of its creation?
I have a freind who lives in a hilliy barrio below Camp David. There might be 3 electric meters in the whole neighborhood. Every other house is jury-rigged to the power system there. I saw one kid with a cast on his leg and arm. I asked what happened: seems he fell off his ladder while doing some "engineering" when the power came back on :hurt: :eek: .

Theft is so widespread from what I've seen can it ever be controlled? I wonder what % of power generated is actually paid for.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Within SD I don't see much signs that would have me believe the power is turned of selectively based on what areas that pay or don't. Its possible that the old grid layout doesn't allow them to do this on a small scale.

B

batich

The last week or so we have had some really long blackouts (10-12hrs), more than the regular 4-5hrs each day. Yes, I'm in a sector that pays it's bills :(

It would be nice to see the Government stand up and actually say something that can be backed with "real" action. No blackouts after 2012, what a load of BS!

The sector is a complete mess, only better than Haiti or the Congo, now that is something to be proud of! I wonder who is 4th on the list, maybe they can give' the sector some advice?

I really see no hope, especially with all the waffle and smoke screening going on by the Government right now, plus the ingrained cultural apathy that exists here.

I personally think we have some serious blackouts coming our way.
Now is the time to get into the inverter and generator business.

This post was brought to you by Trace :)

Are U kidding!!??!!

10-12 hours and you call it complete mess!
C`mon!

Same week or something ago people in NY were without electricity for 6 days (SIX DAYS). And they pay thousands of dollars a month real eastate taxes. Another thousands - other countless federal, state and local taxes. Another thousands - to Con EDison electrical company.

Be grateful to God that you are not in NY!

Trust me, you do not know what the real mess is!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Same week or something ago people in NY were without electricity for 6 days (SIX DAYS). And they pay thousands of dollars a month real eastate taxes. Another thousands - other countless federal, state and local taxes. Another thousands - to Con EDison electrical company.

Right and how often does that happen? Every 20 years or so?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Are U kidding!!??!!

10-12 hours and you call it complete mess!
C`mon!

USA Today said:
Americans on average lose about 214 minutes of power per year compared with 70 minutes in the United Kingdom, 53 minutes in France and six minutes in Japan USATODAY.com - Blackouts from wind, lightning vex U.S. utilities
It would be great if the DR had these numbers for outtages per day, never mind per year.

B

batich

Right and how often does that happen? Every 20 years or so?

After each more or less big shower/Tstorm. And nobody cares.

One of the previous times it was several months ago in February. Winter. Snow. Temperature 20-25F ( - 3-5C). And no electricity means also no heating in homes! Five days!

And many families have children. Or elderly. Sick. Disabled.

Like I said, be grateful to God! Being in DR many of us forgot what is real nightmare.

Nobody is perfect. NO place on Earth is perfect.

To go to perfect place we must die first.

B

batich

Trust me or not,

but spending 4-5 hours a day without luz in a beach or poolside is much better than the same 4-5 hours every day standing in a luxury MeBe in heavy traffic among tens of thousands of other angry psychotic competitive rats each dreaming of killing you and everyone around.

Let`s pray that "civilization", "development" and "democracy" are not exported to DR as long as possible. Hopefully after our death.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Trust me or not,

but spending 4-5 hours a day without luz in a beach or poolside is much better than the same 4-5 hours every day standing in a luxury MeBe in heavy traffic among tens of thousands of other angry psychotic competitive rats each dreaming of killing you and everyone around.

Let`s pray that "civilization", "development" and "democracy" are not exported to DR as long as possible. Hopefully after our death.

FYI: Most of the people who are active on this board are working professionals. Thus, the majority of our time is not spent lounging poolside.

As for the "civilization, development, and democracy" comment...I don't even know where to start...so, I won't.

Good luck. It must be hell for you.

Scandall

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Being in DR many of us forgot what is real nightmare.

Please check back when you have a clue as to what real life in the DR is. I guess your few weeks per year vacation hasn't exposed you to any of the nightmares. I guess that your "us" is differnet than my "us".

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Trust me or not,

but spending 4-5 hours a day without luz in a beach or poolside....

Do you think we all live on the beach? Some of us work and live here.
Some of us have businesses here etc etc.

Sorry, but you really have no idea how the blackouts effect everyday life in the DR as you do not live and work here. How about 8-10hr black outs everyday, year round, combined with 30 degree plus heat with lots of humidity.

You remember when you didn't have power ("it was several months ago in February...."), but we talk about when we did! Big difference!

And yes... I have done and lived the rat race in New York, Miami, London, Tokyo and Sydney, so I have a better idea than most what it's all about :)

B

batich

FYI: Most of the people who are active on this board are working professionals. Thus, the majority of our time is not spent lounging poolside.

As for the "civilization, development, and democracy" comment...I don't even know where to start...so, I won't.

Good luck. It must be hell for you.

Scandall

I cannot imagine how could I hurt your feelings caring about all Dominican population including yourself.
But if that happened somehow I sincerely apologize!

Having my time split roughly in half between a "developed" and a "third world, underdeveloped" countries and being not very poor I can say firsthand where is real hell and where is real paradise.
Unfortunatelly I see that sometimes truth is not a welcome thing, so better let`s keep talking about lovely chicas.

B

batich

Do you think we all live on the beach? Some of us work and live here.
Some of us have businesses here etc etc.

Sorry, but you really have no idea how the blackouts effect everyday life in the DR as you do not live and work here. How about 8-10hr black outs everyday, year round, combined with 30 degree plus heat with lots of humidity.

You remember when you didn't have power ("it was several months ago in February...."), but we talk about when we did! Big difference!

And yes... I have done and lived the rat race in New York, Miami, London, Tokyo and Sydney, so I have a better idea than most what it's all about :)

A very intelligent post. Thank you!
Not much well traveled people can be met here.

Black-out is bad. No question about it.
But even with it you will never return to those beautiful New York, Miami, London, Tokyo and Sydney. Neither do I.
(Last week-long black-out in NY was a bit over a week ago)

B

batich

It would be great if the DR had these numbers for outtages per day, never mind per year.

Of course!
According to official bla-bla inflation is also about 3-4%.
But those who still eat and go buy groceries can see prices almost doubled in a bit over one year.

Otherwise everything is perfect.

Question is - for WHOM?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Of course!
But those who still eat and go buy groceries can see prices almost doubled in a bit over one year.

Question is - for WHOM?

Are you related to Nals?

Scandall

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Of course!

Question is - for WHOM?

All I can say is that most of the locals are pretty happy with the inflation rate the past year, especially those who survived the period when the peso traded at 56:1 against the dollar. Maybe you should really go by the screen name "cluelessinsosua".