Blood donations urgently needed in DR

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Yes, exactly! Cobraboy is full of it! Reality and policy are rarely the same here. Not annoyed with you. But my experience is just as valid as a Dominican's. That was my point to you :)

I agree with you 100%.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Damnit Cobraboy! I rarely get ****ed at anyone about anything but you are full of crap. Just because HOMS does it one way (according to your brilliant source) doesn't mean that's how it works everywhere. And your experience in Florida is irrelevant. Now please shut up! I'm not going to say it again. If you haven't personally received blood here, butt out!:(
Do you not believe there are regulations governing blood banking and administration in the DR?

Are you accusing your clinicians of violating those established protocols?

Have the dangers of improper blood infusion ever been explained to you?

My mom received two units of PRC. The blood did not enter my veins, but I was there during every second of the clinical issues. And I had extended converstions with the Chairman of the Hematology Department at the most respected medical school on the island.

Blood banking has international standards which are generally adopted on a local basis.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Do you not believe there are regulations governing blood banking and administration in the DR?

Are you accusing your clinicians of violating those established protocols?

Have the dangers of improper blood infusion ever been explained to you?

My mom received two units of PRC. The blood did not enter my veins, but I was there during every second of the clinical issues. And I had extended converstions with the Chairman of the Hematology Department at the most respected medical school on the island.

Blood banking has international standards which are generally adopted on a local basis.

No, I'm a complete idiot and I just go along with the motoconcho because I am so stupid. I said I was done with this but you are so stubborn and naive that I must respond.

Do you believe that the law says that motorcyclists must wear helmets? It does. Do they? No.

HOMS may enforce it's policy but where do you think the blood comes from? The US? No. From Dominicans or Haitians or expats. You might have been there but you weren't with me. You are basically calling me a liar and saying I am stupid. You are an idiot. I give up. Arguing with idiots is useless~ :(

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
This is a translation of some of the Listin Diario article.

To obtain a pint of blood dot can entail a cost, for the patient, which oscillates between the 1,900 and 5.000 pesos, depending on the place, the type of blood and analyses which are carried out, which becomes one of the many difficulties facing the Dominican population at the time they need it. Faced with the difficulty of finding donors, frequently the patient or relative has been forced to look for donors who are paid, even though the profit or commercialization of blood is prohibited by law, it is practiced unofficially. Some donors frequent the outside of the blood donation centres, and receive between 500 and 1,500 pesos per donation. For pediatric surgeon Rodolfo Soto Ravelo, until the culture of the commercialization of blood is not eliminated in the country then voluntary donation will not happen and he thinks it is necessary that the costs of the processing are covered by the State or the Dominican Social Security System .
“In the country the greatest problem is that there is no donation culture, but instead blood is sold, and commercialized. A unit of blood costs thousands of pesos and given the shortage that there is in the hospitals, the private banks have become businesses”, he lamented.
Sócrates Sosa, director of Blood Banks for Public Health added, that he recognizes that the profit is made from blood presently in the country, in spite of being prohibited by law, but that is a practice which is difficult to control

Matilda

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
This is a translation of some of the Listin Diario article.

To obtain a pint of blood dot can entail a cost, for the patient, which oscillates between the 1,900 and 5.000 pesos, depending on the place, the type of blood and analyses which are carried out, which becomes one of the many difficulties facing the Dominican population at the time they need it. Faced with the difficulty of finding donors, frequently the patient or relative has been forced to look for donors who are paid, even though the profit or commercialization of blood is prohibited by law, it is practiced unofficially. Some donors frequent the outside of the blood donation centres, and receive between 500 and 1,500 pesos per donation. For pediatric surgeon Rodolfo Soto Ravelo, until the culture of the commercialization of blood is not eliminated in the country then voluntary donation will not happen and he thinks it is necessary that the costs of the processing are covered by the State or the Dominican Social Security System .
“In the country the greatest problem is that there is no donation culture, but instead blood is sold, and commercialized. A unit of blood costs thousands of pesos and given the shortage that there is in the hospitals, the private banks have become businesses”, he lamented.
Sócrates Sosa, director of Blood Banks for Public Health added, that he recognizes that the profit is made from blood presently in the country, in spite of being prohibited by law, but that is a practice which is difficult to control

Matilda

The article is five years old, but does provide a starting point for the subject matter at hand. You also can be assured that the prices will rise depending on whether or not there is a gringo within the family unit as well.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I tried to clear up the situation to prevent DR1ers from assuming an occasional anecdote is not how reputable clinics conduct their business. It is not the norm. There are plenty of clinicians who do follow the law as they should.

No one should be afraid to use blood from established professional providers.

In fact, in deference to the OP's unfortunate condition, I would suggest that a trip to a reputable clinic that implements established protocols of blood banking could prevent possible future critical health conditions. In addition, the only way to stop illegal use of blood is to boycott such behaviors. It also seems that the price is less. My mom paid RD$5000 in a top clinical facility for the entire protocol that included a unit of blood (PRC) and infusion. That seems less than the OP paid in total. Which would be preferred?

Being part of the problem does nothing to help move toward a better solution. Surely a short ride to Santiago or other reputable clinic would be worth it personally as well as culturally.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
In Norse mythology, a valkyrie (from Old Norse valkyrja "chooser of the slain") is one of a host of female figures who choose those who may die in battle and those who may live.

Now if I were and got to choose....

Centro Medico Bournigal is a reputable hospital in Puerto Plata. You are still an idiot. What should I do when I need blood. I am going to pay in Santiago just as I do here. It is not free anywhere, even in the US. Duh?!

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Okay, time out please.  

Let’s get back to the OP, that there is a lack of donated blood in DR.

There is a lack of donated blood in the RD because it is a business, and everybody is aware of this fact. Well, almost everybody, as this thread has proven. With the OP in mind, I have never witnessed any clinic or hospital that will entertain a walk in donator of blood, aside from catastrophic circumstances (Haitian Earthquake for example) attached. Any person could feel free to try it and I would be thrilled to read of the reaction by the working staff of such facilities. The lack of donated blood directly stems from the fact that it is a business, and there are no proper control systems in place to manage the handling of such donated blood.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I believe that many insurance companies do not pay out for blood transfusions either.  But no surprises there.  The only surprises are when you are languishing in your deathbed and the hospital tells you you need an XYZ, but your insurance doesn't cover it.

I know of a lady who needed a blood transfusion after she lost a lot of blood in an operation.  I'm O neg, the universal donor and offered to give blood.  It was still going to cost 10,000 cash to get the blood from my arm into hers.

Medicine is all about money in this country.  Saving lives is secondary.

Very few Dominican medical practitioners have heard of the Hippocratic Oath.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Okay, time out please.  

Let’s get back to the OP, that there is a lack of donated blood in DR.

There is a lack of donated blood everywhere, including the US. The DR's not having a nationwide blood bank is part of the problem. Also, people donate for money in the US...again, duh!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I can't stand it. What do you expect me to do? I have no choice but to pay the motoconcho for blood.... anyone?
I would be very happy to personally introduce you to reputable hematologists in Santiago who don't rely on motoconchos to get fresh blood outside the law and established protocols.

You have posted you have a car, so this short trip may be worthwhile to help your medical condition and aid the country's medical system toward modernization.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I would be very happy to personally introduce you to reputable hematologists in Santiago who don't rely on motoconchos to get fresh blood outside the law and established protocols.

You have posted you have a car, so this short trip may be worthwhile to help your medical condition and aid the country's medical system toward modernization.

You are completely wrong on all counts. HOMS tested and tested and I saw the leading hematologist in the cancer center there. Everyone thought I was bleeding internally...I wasn't. Finally, my intelligent, well-trained, caring hematologist here in Puerto Plata did a bone marrow biopsy. I have Myelodysplasic Syndrome, a precursor to Leukemia. If I had stuck with HOMS (or even Santo Domingo where I had another test), I would be dead by now. Again, you are talking but you do not know anything. My first-hand anecdotal experience (as you and others seem to label it) is real. Your comments are all speculation based on an academic's comments. I will bet you that someone donated the blood for your mom. It didn't poof out of thin air. I'm sure Centro Medico's arrangement with Joselito is perfectly legal. I'm sure he gets some sort of finder's fee not payment for the blood (although that surely is what I'm doing) and maybe the donor gets nothing? But that is beside the point. Without a blood bank, there can be no blood supply. Sorry guys! I will admit you might be 'right' as far as you know but so am I....

If you were any more condescending, you would fall over. You'd be glad to introduce me... honestly you are a butt hole. I can't believe I've allowed you to goad me into being so rude and hostile, but right now I really do not like you. Are you by any chance a Trump supporter?

Everyone, I apologize but he really is getting to me. Honestly, I'm not reading anymore!

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
It is very difficult, if not entirely impossible to engage in civil discourse when only one party insists that their statements are the golden rule to be followed by all. I concur with others above, I am moving on from this thread. I will allow my experiences within the RD to dictate my path forward, and what I know to be the reality of the situation.