Blue Necks

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Blue Necks are Northerners -- the opposite of Rednecks. Because of Redneck jokes, here are some takes on how Southern folks look at Northerners (or how Northerners sometimes think of themselves;)

YOU JUST MIGHT BE A BLUE NECK IF...

...Instead of referring to two or more people as "Y'all," you call them "you guys," even if both of them are women.

...You think barbecue is a verb meaning "to cook outside."

...You would never stop to buy something somebody was cooking on the side of the road. (e.g., boiled peanuts)

...You don't have any problems pronouncing "Worcestershire sauce" correctly.

...For breakfast, you would prefer potatoes-au-gratin to grits.

...You've never, ever eaten okra -- fried, boiled, or pickled.

...You've never seen a live chicken, and the only cows you've seen are on road trips.

...You have no idea what a polecat is.

...You don't see anything wrong with putting a sweater on your dog.

...You would rather have your son become a lawyer than grow up to get his own TV fishing show.

...You have never planned your summer vacation around a gun-'n-knife show.

...You think more money should go to important scientific research at your university than to pay the salary of the head football coach

...The last time you smiled was when you blocked someone from getting on an on-ramp to the highway.

....You don't have any hats in your closet that advertise feed stores.

...You have more than one professional sports team in your home state.

...You can't spit out the car window without pulling over to the side of the road and stopping.

...You don't know anyone with at least two first names (i.e., Joe Bob, Linda Kay, Faye Ellen, Billy Ray, Betty Lou, Mary Jo, Bubba Dean, Joe Dan, Mary Alice)

...You don't know any women with male names (i.e., Tommie, Bobbie,
Johnnie, Jimmie)

...You get freaked out when people on the subway talk to you.

...None of your fur coats are homemade

Chopical

Jul 6, 2003
mainer said:
Blue Necks are Northerners -- the opposite of Rednecks. Because of Redneck jokes, here are some takes on how Southern folks look at Northerners (or how Northerners sometimes think of themselves;)

YOU JUST MIGHT BE A BLUE NECK IF...

...Instead of referring to two or more people as "Y'all," you call them "you guys," even if both of them are women.

...You don't have any problems pronouncing "Worcestershire sauce" correctly.

...You get freaked out when people on the subway talk to you.

Rednecks are called that because they are generally fairskinend and would get sunburn in the summer causing their necks to get red.

Blue necks just sounds weird.

Other wise i fit your definitely except for these two:

I never say "You guys" espeically with women.

Sometmes, if the person is attractive I like talking to them or if I need directions...(no I'm not one of the weird freaky people on the subway who scares others)

Otherwise yeah that's all correct.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have see or heard most of that

Especially the you guys when a woman is referring to other women.

Of course in New Jersey we say "Youse guys"

HB